MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #2,011 of 2,843
  Here's our review for the awesome MrSpeakers ETHER:

MrSpeakers ETHER Headphone Review

We'll have a video review up soon too!

Nice to see you stocking the Ether. I know they represent incredible value when compared to the HE-1000 and LCD-4 but they are none the less a little out of my price range.
Otherwise, I would be straight along for an audition.

Cheers.

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #2,012 of 2,843
There is a small shift in the sound signature. The hm5 pads offer a bit more air, but the change is much more subtle than I'd have thought. Playing around with some of the felt disk from the doggie treat kit to see what sounds best. 

You would recommend them then?

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #2,013 of 2,843
You would recommend them then?

Yes, for $20 shipped I think they sound pretty good. Very versatile and fit lots of headphones. The leather stock pads do sound better though. If you don't like leather, the hm5 is a very good alternative. 

With my hd650 I prefer the hm5 pads to stock. 

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,014 of 2,843
Just a quick note that demand for ETHER has exploded and we may have back logs of 1-2 weeks on new orders.  We're doing our best to add capacity to meet demand.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 15, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #2,016 of 2,843
A couple of hours ago I had a chance to compare ether versus Hifiman HE-X using Moon HA430 amp/dac. HE-X had deep punchy bass with plenty of impact /slam but different mids and treble presentation so could be tough competition if they decide to have 1800 price they mentioned but I definitely can't understand why anyone would pay 3k for HE1K

Oct 16, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #2,017 of 2,843
I have both the HE1000 and the Ether...i love the Ether but the HE1000 is in a league all its own IMHO.....i have not heard the HE-X so I cannot comment on that can

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #2,020 of 2,843
I like the sound of the DUM cable, but the stiffness of the lower portion is beginning to really annoy me. 

Is there a compelling reason the whole sleeve can't use the softer material in the upper portion? 

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #2,021 of 2,843
Oct 18, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #2,023 of 2,843
I just don't post frequently

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I like that, you post when you have something to say. Anyway, good to see you around as I had been wondering if you still hit the forums here. Cheers.​

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,024 of 2,843
I love the Ether,the HEK simply does more things well IMHO....it is the closest to the HD800 in terms of the sound of the soundstage yet it has more slam,more muscular bass......when i compared the ether to the 800 i found myself switching back and forth because the ether had more impact but the HD800 had the spaciousness i loved...the HEK IMHO is a combination of both and the only headphone i have yet heard that i have to accept no compromises with...nothing is perfect but thus far i reach for the HEK more often than my HD800 or my Ether but i do very much enjoy all 3

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #2,025 of 2,843
I love the Ether,the HEK simply does more things well IMHO....i....but thus far i reach for the HEK more often than my HD800 or my Ether but i do very much enjoy all 3

I believe you may be a lucky guy.

The HE1k I heard at friends house did not have anything over both our differently modded HD800s..
It may or may not be discernable, due to complexity of music listened.
*Edit
This was the primary issue I had with the HE1k, was a lack of involvement with complex passages..

For instance a chorus, an audience, or an orchestra has many more complex harmonics off base frequency, than a single singer or instrumental performance..

Also, there is the ambient room info that may or may not be there, mostly due to type of gear used...

I listened with them thru an end game tube dac & tube amp gear which maximized the ambient and holographic information that is sorely lacking in most other gear...

I also listened with same end game system(not mine) with these:

To highly modded HD800, an LCD XC, and the fave of this thread, the Ether...

With a very varied genere of different music,
One headphone was preferred on a 3:1 ratio by me and another member...

Guess which....
You all know the obvious answer as I am posting in this thread..

It was quite an eye opening experience to realize we preferred the Ether...
The Ether is to me, the reincarnation of the HE6, in an improved version on every aspect.

There was Meat & substance, without overlap or blur or loss of info.
Distinct spacial body and separation between instruments,
Combining the strengths of the closed LCD XC planar substance impact satisfation...
With combining the open soundstaging 3/4 of the HD800....

This, in my opinion, was what was a special talent,
Which gave the instruments real body and space between then.
Cymbals had the presence of an HD800, and combined with the body & texture that was missing on the HD800...
It is an amazing talent that I overestimated and did not notice in the last headfi meet...

Everything was more enjoyable thru them.
All four headphones were performing at a noticable level above stock, having internal mods and replaced stock with quality cables..

I still cant believe how these Ethers pulled it off..

The only achillies heel I could see, that the tonality of the mids were centered on a lower range than the HD800,
So only in comparison to an HD800,
These will sound a tad more mid centric, but never in a bad way.
Realism was high because of this focus.
Textured layers from top to bottom wich surprised me because I didnt think it would be more satisfying than the HD800..

Yet I havent compared these to my HD800 which I moded even heavier than the other two.
Also, I still consider the HD800 superior in soundstage and ease of detail retrieval,
BUT that doesnt count much, when the Ethers give more meat, timbre and substance on everything even up to the cymbal hits(!)

I am actually quite dissapointed in the fact that I must conceed the music was more enjoyable thru the Ethers,
Regardless if it did not have any one trait superior,
Because what it did I have not heard elswhere...
What it did was combine the strengths which are most prominent in open & closed designs, to make it the best all rounder I have heard to date.
Not a compromise, but a mixture of what matters most for musical emjoyment..

I wasnt planning to post some dumb "glowing review",
I am telling it like it is , from my perspective.

I really want to see how they perform with my amp, which I customized & "tuned" for my HD800..

Hopefully soon.
:)
So the Ethers are back on my short "To get" headphone list, along with the PMx2..
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back