MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,861 of 2,843
You can get XLR to 1/4" pigtail to use on your balanced cable and the Lyr. At least, that's what I do...

+1

I try to get all my headphones terminated in 4-pin XLR, I have adapters from that into 2x 3-pin XLR, banana plugs and single-ended terminations. Any other adapters I get then work for all my headphones.

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #1,862 of 2,843
Was the ETHER C just released?

https://mrspeakers.com/ether/

ETHER C

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #1,863 of 2,843
  Was the ETHER C just released?

https://mrspeakers.com/ether/

ETHER C

"The ETHER C will be priced at $1499.99 with a standard cable, and $1599.99 with the DUM (upgrade) cable, and is expected to ship within two months. It will be available with black carbon fiber cups, which are gorgeous (although I may be biased in this opinion, because I’m rather obsessed with carbon fiber). Those of you lucky enough to be attending the SchiitShow in Marina del Rey, California will be among the very first to audition the ETHER C, and I very much look forward to your impressions."

-jude

http://www.head-fi.org/t/777735/mrspeakers-ether-c-review-announcement-a-new-closed-back-planar-magnetic-flagship-from-mrspeakers

----

Absolutely gorgeous headphone btw. I want to buy it just for the looks alone so I can admire it sitting on my desk 
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,864 of 2,843
Hmm. I just ordered the Primes and now I'm in a serious pickle as these are beautiful. Both are beautiful.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,865 of 2,843
  Hmm. I just ordered the Primes and now I'm in a serious pickle as these are beautiful. Both are beautiful.

The Alpha Dogs are the same and they are incredible looking under the light. I have mine in black and with the new carbon black Ether C I am even more interested in the beauty of the design and performance of the new driver.

Now all you need is a "vintage" CD player hehe. I saw you in the other thread I posted about my EAD CD-1000
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #1,866 of 2,843
Well I just put an order in for the closed ethers. Mr speakers is doing incredible things and watching his videos he seems to have a lot of fun doing it.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,867 of 2,843
Anyone with multiple amps want to chime in about how the amp/headphone interactions work, and what works best for you? I'm always curious to hear as we get asked all the time...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 12, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #1,868 of 2,843
Anyone with multiple amps want to chime in about how the amp/headphone interactions work, and what works best for you? I'm always curious to hear as we get asked all the time...

Reddog reports that the mjolnir 2 with NOS tubes is pretty darn good. Personally I like both my vintage receiver setups and the Questyle cma800r. 

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,870 of 2,843
How do they differ? I have a QPR1 and enjoy it a lot, clear, clean and powerful.

I want to audition the QPR1, its looks very portable and powerful. The two best balanced. Amps for the ETHER was the Ragnarock and the Mjolnir 2, with NOS Ediswan tubes The best SE amp for the ETHER is the Lyr2 with NOS Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes. If someone is on a budget the Asgard 2 does a real good job at powering up a ETHER.

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #1,871 of 2,843
Regarding current mode amplifiers, I was not a believer when I originally tried the Bakoon with the hd800. Then when I plugged the Ether into the CMA800 and was instantly impressed. Although the detail is there, the presentation is smooth, powerful and punchy. You can add a second cma800 to setup a true dual monoblock configuration. The reviews say that it makes the most difference with orthodynamics to go balanced. So all that I need is one more cma800. 
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #1,872 of 2,843
  Regarding current mode amplifiers, I was not a believer when I originally tried the Bakoon with the hd800. Then when I plugged the Ether into the CMA800 and was instantly impressed. Although the detail is there, the presentation is smooth, powerful and punchy. You can add a second cma800 to setup a true dual monoblock configuration. The reviews say that it makes the most difference with orthodynamics to go balanced. So all that I need is one more cma800. 
wink.gif

I have them in monoblock configuration, love it. 

Keep an eye on the for sale forums - you can open the chassis and flick a switch to change the voltage so you can buy from almost anywhere :)

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,874 of 2,843
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back