MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #1,832 of 2,843
Just got an RSA Intruder paired my AK100ii. Holy crap, the Ether sounds so amazing with it.

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #1,834 of 2,843
  How does the sound compare to the LCD 2.2 pre-Fazor?

Those two would be more complementary than comparable. The lcd 2c would have a thick sound with warmer bass and rolled off treble. The Ether will be more neutral, accurate and linear to the recording. Very different presentations. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,835 of 2,843
I used to have the 2.2 classic and sold them b/c the bass was too cloudy and the lower treble could scream; I moved on to the LCD3 (now fazored) and think they are great.
The Ether is just as good, in some ways better (more clear mids) than the LCD3F, so the Ether is much better for me than the LCD2 in any version.
The fair comparison is LCD3 vs. the Ether.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #1,836 of 2,843
So I'm considering canceling my order of the LC, Is the pairing really that good? Would anybody who has tried the Ether with multiple amps (including the LC) care to comment on how much better it is compared to similarly priced amps. I don't have a very good rig to listen to music until I get an amp so I really would rather just order an amp now unless I'm going to be missing out on something only the LC can bring to the Ether. Plus I'm sure with the success of the LC there is bound to be another run, even if it ends up being more expensive then the first. 

Thanks in advance to anybody who can offer some advice.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #1,837 of 2,843
  So I'm considering canceling my order of the LC, Is the pairing really that good? Would anybody who has tried the Ether with multiple amps (including the LC) care to comment on how much better it is compared to similarly priced amps. I don't have a very good rig to listen to music until I get an amp so I really would rather just order an amp now unless I'm going to be missing out on something only the LC can bring to the Ether. Plus I'm sure with the success of the LC there is bound to be another run, even if it ends up being more expensive then the first. 

LC = Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, or something other?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 7, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,840 of 2,843
Come on Dan...all the cool kids know LC means Liquid Carbon. 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #1,842 of 2,843

I would recommend keeping the order if it's not a financial hardship or you aren't eyeing some uber high end gear.  The LC is a fantastic amp at the price and a great pairing, and with it's small size it'll fit almost anywhere.  It doesn't have the bottom end of Cavalli's bigger amps, but the clarity, resolution and soundstage are surprisingly close at 1/5 the price and it's a very synergistic pairing to ETHER.

Total system performance will also depend on your DAC so don't neglect that (couldn't see from your profile what you're using).  I've noticed a lot of discussions about amps but not as many about DAC/Amp synergy.  For your consideration the more revealing headphones make a DAC's effect on sound pretty clear. Entry level DACs may be a clear limitation, many are bright and hard, others are rolled off, so finding one that has the resolution and tone to pair with the LC matters.  I always suggest that if the DAC is suspect adding that last to pick one that pairs with your amp/headphone to get the right synergy.  

As a loose analogy building a high-end headphone rig is like owning a high-end sports car.  If you have a Porsche Turbo then instal retread tires you'll probably do fine in a straight line at the speed limit, but don't expect miracles when you floor it or hit the first hard turn. A weak link will be pretty obvious when the system is expected to deliver higher performance.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 7, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #1,843 of 2,843

I would recommend keeping the order if it's not a financial hardship or you aren't eyeing some uber high end gear.  The LC is a fantastic amp at the price and a great pairing, and with it's small size it'll fit almost anywhere.  It doesn't have the bottom end of Cavalli's bigger amps, but the clarity, resolution and soundstage are surprisingly close at 1/5 the price and it's a very synergistic pairing to ETHER.

Total system performance will also depend on your DAC so don't neglect that (couldn't see from your profile what you're using).  I've noticed a lot of discussions about amps but not as many about DAC/Amp synergy.  For your consideration the more revealing headphones make a DAC's effect on sound pretty clear. Entry level DACs may be a clear limitation, many are bright and hard, others are rolled off, so finding one that has the resolution and tone to pair with the LC matters.  I always suggest that if the DAC is suspect adding that last to pick one that pairs with your amp/headphone to get the right synergy.  

As a loose analogy building a high-end headphone rig is like owning a high-end sports car.  If you have a Porsche Turbo then instal retread tires you'll probably do fine in a straight line at the speed limit, but don't expect miracles when you floor it or hit the first hard turn. A weak link will be pretty obvious when the system is expected to deliver higher performance.

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently using the audio gd nfb1 DAC, my main problem is I sold my amp to help fund the Liquid Carbon/Ether so now I only have my Fiio X5/hd650 to listen to since I had my Ether come with the 4pin XLR, and the adapter I ordered won't be here for a while. I guess what I was really trying to ask is if the Liquid Carbon is worth the 2 month delay seeing how I don't have a amp currently. I guess if it's that good with the Ether I'll have to suck it up and not have a system until (hopefully) November. 

Thanks again.

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #1,844 of 2,843

Thanks for chiming in Dan. While we're on the topic, I'm guessing that the high end Pulse DACs like XFi and Infinity are fairly synergistic with the Ether as well (since I heard people say that they're often paired at Meets)? 

I own one and I know what I think but was just curious on your opinion. 

I'm guessing the Schiit Ygg is pretty great too. Pity it costs so much lol. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #1,845 of 2,843
  Thanks for your reply. I'm currently using the audio gd nfb1 DAC, my main problem is I sold my amp to help fund the Liquid Carbon/Ether so now I only have my Fiio X5/hd650 to listen to since I had my Ether come with the 4pin XLR, and the adapter I ordered won't be here for a while. I guess what I was really trying to ask is if the Liquid Carbon is worth the 2 month delay seeing how I don't have a amp currently. I guess if it's that good with the Ether I'll have to suck it up and not have a system until (hopefully) November. 

Thanks again.

Find a cheap Gustard H10 or something thereabouts in the meantime. You can sell and get your money back later. 

I'm in the same boat and I got myself an old HeadAmp Gilmore V2 Dynalo to play around with for the next few months. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back