MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2,359 of 2,843
  Could anybody compare the sonic features to the Ether C?

Less bass (easily correctable with EQ) but more transparency and detail. Both are outstanding headphones but there is no getting around the laws of physics...

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #2,361 of 2,843
Will have ETHER 1.1 impressions soon Dan, just got them today and updated the C first. I placed the order on the first day and saw that the order was fulfilled same day, but there seems like there was a delay with the post office for a couple days as I tracked it last week.

Are you back from Singapore?

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #2,362 of 2,843
Will have ETHER 1.1 impressions soon Dan, just got them today and updated the C first. I placed the order on the first day and saw that the order was fulfilled same day, but there seems like there was a delay with the post office for a couple days as I tracked it last week.

Are you back from Singapore?

I'll be stateside Wed night...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 23, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #2,363 of 2,843
1.1 ETHER is very nice. For me, the foam sweetens the overall sound and allows for a certain hangtime and decay for instruments. It seems to promote ideal diffusion within the pad that provides me with more spatial cues lending better focus and tighter imaging with vocals while allowing more room and separation for instrumental accompaniment. I feel very relaxed listening to the music and for certain tracks, as Jude likes to say for Chesky recordings he's participated in - I imagine this is what it feels like to be "in the acoustic."

Love what I'm hearing, will continue to enjoy my newly updated 1.1 ETHER - thanks Dan!

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #2,364 of 2,843
Feb 23, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #2,365 of 2,843
I've been trying to allocate my time to hear the new 1.1 mod. I must say the layering got even better, feels more holographic and I can actually feel the placement of instruments even better (not that the older 1.0 version doesn't have good layering). Some microdetails also surfaced because of this effect, it also becomes a bit warmer and the bass feels a bit more punchy.

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #2,367 of 2,843
  I've been trying to allocate my time to hear the new 1.1 mod. I must say the layering got even better, feels more holographic and I can actually feel the placement of instruments even better (not that the older 1.0 version doesn't have good layering). Some microdetails also surfaced because of this effect, it also becomes a bit warmer and the bass feels a bit more punchy.

Installed my 1.1 yesterday and after a few hours and 2 albums I would have to agree with Orky261 that instrument placement holographic is more defined.  My Cs are not broken in yet so will have to wait for other impressions.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #2,368 of 2,843
I installed the 1.1 "upgrade" this morning and took it out about an hour later. I don't like the deadened sound of cymbals, woodblocks, etc. Listening to the Ethers unencumbered is better for my ears.

For reference, my sound chain is DX80 -> optical out -> Bifrost MB -> Lyr 2 with Amperex tubes. I can EQ in a touch of bass below 100Hz for fun or do without for accuracy. No 1.1 upgrade for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back