MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jun 4, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #5,551 of 5,796
Thanks for your insight. I've heard the Ether C's described as warm myself. I feel like they would be a better fit for me as the only thing I find awkward on the Aeons is the teardrop cups can sometimes take some getting used to compared to the more standard round cup design.

I'm beginning to miss some of the subbass as well - I think the AFO's are way too bass light and that's probably due to their neutral sound signature. Did you notice a detail or imaging increase when going with the Ether C's? I don't care much about soundstage but I love the imaging of the Aeons.

From memory I would say that the detail was fairly close between the two, more about extension. Another benefit of the Ether C's is that you can try out different pads from Dekoni and tune the sound. I do not know that I would call the Ether C's a warm sounding headphone, they were very revealing though so if your DAC or AMP swayed towards warm you would hear it.

The Aeons are comfortable, but do not provide any ability to change up the sound via pad rolling.

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #5,552 of 5,796
Compared to the Ether Flow. I also like the Focal Listen and the HD660S. I've heard the HD650 twice, and just don't get why people like it. It softens the transients so much that I struggle to consider it "high fidelity".

I've owned the HD700s and 800s so I know what people mean when they call those detail monsters based on how bright they are and I've also heard the Utopias but for me I prefer a splashier treble rather than a super extended treble hence why I moved on from Audeze. Good to hear that the Ether Flow sound a little more fleshed out. They're not as forward as a true warm headphone though I would imagine such as the Nightowls, Atticus, etc.? I would imagine their mids are similar to something like a Focal Clear which they're smooth but they're not forward - they're pretty neutral and in line with the rest of the sound.

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #5,553 of 5,796
From memory I would say that the detail was fairly close between the two, more about extension. Another benefit of the Ether C's is that you can try out different pads from Dekoni and tune the sound. I do not know that I would call the Ether C's a warm sounding headphone, they were very revealing though so if your DAC or AMP swayed towards warm you would hear it.

The Aeons are comfortable, but do not provide any ability to change up the sound via pad rolling.

I do love pad rolling - I think it's a great cheap way to tune the sound. What pads do you recommend either from MrSpeakers or Dekoni that give it the best subbass? I listen to a lot of hip-hop and Drum and Bass so that would put them over the top for me.

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #5,554 of 5,796
I do love pad rolling - I think it's a great cheap way to tune the sound. What pads do you recommend either from MrSpeakers or Dekoni that give it the best subbass? I listen to a lot of hip-hop and Drum and Bass so that would put them over the top for me.

Pads for the Fostex TH900 fit perfectly on the Ethers.

I really like velour pads for the comfot and airiness. I think that the newer MrSpeaker leather pads are going to give you the most bass if I am honest, but i never tried the Dekoni sheepskins on it.

Jun 4, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #5,555 of 5,796
Am I right in saying that the ether c flow ear pads have changed since release? The 1.1 upgrade page suggests they changed after July 1, 2017, but the webpage for the ether flow angled ear pads doesn't mention this and they look identical to the existing earpads I have from an early 2017 version. Any difference in feel?
Also is the new cable any more durable? I have exposed wiring develop in the old cable due to a bend and while I don't think its a big deal would rather that not occur with a $300 cable...

Jun 4, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #5,556 of 5,796
Am I right in saying that the ether c flow ear pads have changed since release? The 1.1 upgrade page suggests they changed after July 1, 2017, but the webpage for the ether flow angled ear pads doesn't mention this and they look identical to the existing earpads I have from an early 2017 version. Any difference in feel?
Yes, the search function should reveal various posts to you about the pad changes.

Jun 4, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #5,557 of 5,796
Also is the new cable any more durable? I have exposed wiring develop in the old cable due to a bend and while I don't think its a big deal would rather that not occur with a $300 cable...

The stock pads are the same design, just with a more firm memory foam. The vivo cables does seem more durable but I did not like it very much. The cable is thicker and bit heavier...I recommend the wywires cables or ZMF Atmos. Both are very well built and sound fantastic.

Jun 15, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #5,558 of 5,796
I've always thought that I either had a defective unit for all these years (left side volume is low compared to the right) or heck, even a defective left ear even though I usually listen at safe volumes.

It turns out that I just need to rotate the left earpad until I get that (almost) perfectly centered sweet spot...

Jul 7, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #5,559 of 5,796
Ether Flow 1.1 Tuning Kit Measurements:
(MiniDSP EARS. Purr1n's compensation. 500Hz 84dB normalized. 1/12 smoothing)
(Measured on Angled Pads Ether Flow 1.1. Stock is RED in all measurements.)

Right: 1.1 stock (red) vs 1.1 White Felt (teal)
white pad R.jpg

Right: 1.1 stock (red) vs 1.1 Black Felt (black)
black pad R.jpg

Right:
1.1 stock (red) vs 1.1 Black Foam (grey)
black foam R.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Left: 1.1 stock (red) vs 1.1 White Felt (teal)
white pad L.jpg

Left: 1.1 stock (red) vs 1.1 Black Felt (black)
black pad L.jpg

Left:
1.1 stock (red) vs 1.1 Black Foam (grey)
black foam L.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right Only: oratory1990's EQ for the Ether Flow 1.0 (blue) on a stock Ether Flow 1.1 (red)
Ether Flow oratory1990.jpg

Right Only: Effect of White Felt (orange tan) vs Flat EQ'd stock Ether Flow 1.1 (purple) (500Hz 85db normalized)
white felt.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #5,562 of 5,796
Pics, or it never happened! :)

Do want to see honestly. Sounds like a good idea.

I put the opposite gender of what connects to the ear cups on the end of my DIY cables and made them modular. Have some pics on the DIY cable thread somewhere.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #5,565 of 5,796
Just some snap on baffles I printed a while back as prototype to let me use them like the Ether C ( that means on couch next to wife without her fussing at me)

They worked as intended and just put off the final build and paint. They have a negligible effect on the sound unlike when doing same with a motor assbly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back