MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Apr 15, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #5,521 of 5,796
Are the Alpha Pads compatible with the Ether Flow and 1.1 kit? Also, between the upgraded Ether Flow angled pads and the Alpha Pads which will have better bass and soundstaging (Alpha pads look thicker)?

No, they're not compatible.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 17, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #5,524 of 5,796
I assume for the 1.1 upgrade we just purchase the Ether C flow kit for the non-C because they are the same minus the port stickers?

Yes...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #5,525 of 5,796
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody has attempted to convert the Ether Flow from open-backed to close-backed? Or is there a conversion kit lying around somewhere?

I'm quite curious how it'd sound like and I don't feel like buying another pair anytime soon.

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #5,526 of 5,796
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody has attempted to convert the Ether Flow from open-backed to close-backed? Or is there a conversion kit lying around somewhere?

I'm quite curious how it'd sound like and I don't feel like buying another pair anytime soon.
If efo can convert to closed backed, uff ..would be wonderfull

Apr 22, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #5,527 of 5,796
It would be wonderful indeed. I don't know the differences between the two on the inside but since the back cover can be pulled off very easily (not sure if that's normal), perhaps a simple conversion by merely swappung the back cover would do it?

Maybe not, maybe it'll destroy the sound but I don't know. That's why I'm curious if anyone have tried to do it.

Apr 22, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #5,528 of 5,796
It would be wonderful indeed. I don't know the differences between the two on the inside but since the back cover can be pulled off very easily (not sure if that's normal), perhaps a simple conversion by merely swappung the back cover would do it?

Maybe not, maybe it'll destroy the sound but I don't know. That's why I'm curious if anyone have tried to do it.

I think that would be really hard. A closed-back headphone has cup reverb, so it has to have a different tuning to accommodate it.
Similarly, some people apply EQ to their speakers to compensate for an imbalance caused by room acoustics or positioning limitations.
You may need to heavily EQ to get right sounds even if you successfully cover those cups. Otherwise, I would not even bother to try.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #5,529 of 5,796
I think that would be really hard. A closed-back headphone has cup reverb, so it has to have a different tuning to accommodate it.
Similarly, some people apply EQ to compensate for an imbalance caused by room acoustics or positioning limitations.
You may need to heavily EQ to get right sounds even if you successfully cover those cups. Otherwise, I would not even bother to try.

That makes sense. I guess it's like bringing your monitors to a new room, then having to do treatment and fine-tuning of the room.

Apr 23, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #5,531 of 5,796
Hi all,

Pls, give to us a special mod to convert the ethers!:L3000:

This was an option Dan used to offer for a really reasonable price, it was discontinued as a service shortly before the release of the E2..... Sorry to say you guys are late to the party.

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #5,532 of 5,796
Unfortunately, there are enough differences that a combo open/closed tuning was never something we felt viable. Too many compromises to both versions to make either what we wanted...

May 8, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #5,533 of 5,796
I saw the Zreview on the Ether CX, and he was comparing it to his Ether C Flow. He used the flat pads that come with the CX for the listening on the C Flow, and he did not have the 1.1 upgrade kit. I would bet his desire of making his C Flow sound more like the CX might not have happened if he had the latest angle pads for the C Flow 1.1, and his desire for the adjustability of the sound would have been taken care of with the 1.1 kit. Strictly due to the cost I was going to buy the CX, but when I went to order them they were out of stock. Due to that I just went ahead and bought the C Flow 1.1. I’m very happy with my purchase, but I am curious to hear the sound of the CX myself since I was so close to ordering it.

May 12, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #5,534 of 5,796
I saw the Zreview on the Ether CX, and he was comparing it to his Ether C Flow. He used the flat pads that come with the CX for the listening on the C Flow, and he did not have the 1.1 upgrade kit. I would bet his desire of making his C Flow sound more like the CX might not have happened if he had the latest angle pads for the C Flow 1.1, and his desire for the adjustability of the sound would have been taken care of with the 1.1 kit. Strictly due to the cost I was going to buy the CX, but when I went to order them they were out of stock. Due to that I just went ahead and bought the C Flow 1.1. I’m very happy with my purchase, but I am curious to hear the sound of the CX myself since I was so close to ordering it.
He had the old pads too, i dont know why he dont upgrade his efc, the efc scale really well without these big foam. The new pad give more sub too.

May 17, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #5,535 of 5,796
Despite looking pretty extensively online for the following answers, I couldn't definitively find the answer to the following two thoughts.

So with the 1.1 tuning kit, is the intended upgrade procedure;

take off the ear pad
remove the stock, circular black foam dampening (this will have slight some slight sticky-ness since it was attached to the tape)
place the thin, white sticker over the true flow baffle, press down firmly to lock it in place.
DON'T put the stock circular black dampening foam back on
replace the ear pad
insert the dampening foam within the ear pad of your preference?

I suppose you COULD keep the circular stock dampening in place AND add the dampening squares if you prefer extra dampening, but I imagine this wasn't intended operating procedure for the upgrade?

ALSO, I read in a review online that the thin, white sticker that gets placed on the true flow baffle is supposed to be oriented a certain way, as in there is a "top" and a bottom" to it. I rotated it every which way, and could not tell for the life of me a difference. Short of taking it and measuring the distance between the screw key holes, it looked identical.

@mrspeakers could you provide some truth on this? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back