MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Feb 27, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #5,491 of 5,796
I did a search but I couldn't find anything regarding the Magni 3.

Does anyone know if the Magni 3 can sufficiently drive the Ether Flow Open? Do I need to upgrade my amp? If so, what's the cheapest amp that I can find?

I'm currently running a Magni 3 + Mimby but I also have a crack speedball but it's kinda funky so I'm trying to avoid using it.

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #5,492 of 5,796
So I tried the 1.1 kit + new angled pads for a couple months on my EFO and it is definitely a huge difference compared to 1.0. When playing games I was enjoying the wider and more accurate sound stage. However, I bought the EFO because I enjoyed a warmer tone and bass impact, which the 1.1 kind of kills for me. I listen to music daily and I felt like I was skipping music a lot more and just wasn't connecting to music like I used to before the upgrade. Luckily it was easily reversible and I am back to loving listening to music again after replacing the paper with the original foam dampening.

A few random things I noticed. I had to increase the volume on my Burson Soloist when I installed the 1.1 to match the same volume output as the 1.0. That paper insert must dampen the sound more than I thought it would.

Mar 5, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #5,494 of 5,796
So I tried the 1.1 kit + new angled pads for a couple months on my EFO and it is definitely a huge difference compared to 1.0. When playing games I was enjoying the wider and more accurate sound stage. However, I bought the EFO because I enjoyed a warmer tone and bass impact, which the 1.1 kind of kills for me. I listen to music daily and I felt like I was skipping music a lot more and just wasn't connecting to music like I used to before the upgrade. Luckily it was easily reversible and I am back to loving listening to music again after replacing the paper with the original foam dampening.

A few random things I noticed. I had to increase the volume on my Burson Soloist when I installed the 1.1 to match the same volume output as the 1.0. That paper insert must dampen the sound more than I thought it would.
Have you tried just removing the stickers that partially cover the bass ports?

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #5,497 of 5,796

Try the 1-notch white felt, if you haven't already. Be aware the felt does burn in. You can blow through the felt to accelerate that, it's basically pushing the fibers to a steady state and clearing small particulates.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 5, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #5,498 of 5,796
Try the 1-notch white felt, if you haven't already. Be aware the felt does burn in. You can blow through the felt to accelerate that, it's basically pushing the fibers to a steady state and clearing small particulates.

I believe in burn in, but felt burn in? Come now.

It can’t burn and on its own. If you’re saying you have to move the fibers around, then it’s not the same felt pad that you ship as it’s now being altered physically by your fingers. If this is the case then you should put that in the instructions with the pad.

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #5,499 of 5,796

I tried all different variations. I found that the white felt and black foam to be the best combination but was still lacking the sound signature I liked from before the upgrade.

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #5,500 of 5,796
I tried all different variations. I found that the white felt and black foam to be the best combination but was still lacking the sound signature I liked from before the upgrade.

It's always an axiom that nothing works for everyone... :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 11, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #5,501 of 5,796
Hello! Well after 3 month trying the zmf oval cowhide, i like it. This headphone is a 9999 in 1 haha, can be smooth, neutral and bright and more..

This big ( really big ) pad from zmf oval cowhide work very well ( but do you need to cut it, because is oval ). It down the high frecuency, so you can use the efo without dampers and only with musical source this is a different headphone or neutral with little eq... or wathever. I like the musical headphones but with still a nice overall sound
Vs stock pad: more soundstage, smooth sound, better impact bass.
This and a very little eq ( in my case, i like the fun headphones but still very nice technically) make this headphone very fun and very well technically.
I like this headphone so much more than hifiman he1k. :)

upload_2019-3-11_20-1-37.jpeg

upload_2019-3-11_20-2-12.jpeg

upload_2019-3-11_20-4-32.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #5,502 of 5,796
Hello! Well after 3 month trying the zmf oval cowhide, i like it. This headphone is a 9999 in 1 haha, can be smooth, neutral and bright and more..

This big ( really big ) pad from zmf oval cowhide work very well ( but do you need to cut it, because is oval ). It down the high frecuency, so you can use the efo without dampers and only with musical source this is a different headphone or neutral with little eq... or wathever. I like the musical headphones but with still a nice overall sound
Vs stock pad: more soundstage, smooth sound, better impact bass.
This and a very little eq ( in my case, i like the fun headphones but still very nice technically) make this headphone very fun and very well technically.
I like this headphone so much more than hifiman he1k. :)

Thanks for sharing. Can you help clarify which part you needed to cut?
Maybe some pics would help

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #5,504 of 5,796
Figured I'd share my experience with ZMF pads as well. Currently running the Ori pads that came stock with my Atticus and I am really enjoying the combination. Pads fit perfectly, no need to cut the leather.

Bass is much more emphasized and impactful. Sub-bass now gives a nice rumble that I felt was lacking in these cans. I removed the 1.1 port baffles to increase the bass response with the stock pads, but even with the ZMF pads and their bass increase the bass is very enjoyable without being overbearing (Added more info to this below). Still very clean, quick, and does not bleed into the other frequencies.
Treble has become a tad darker but IMO a welcome change. My Jot + Mimby is a fairly bright setup so anything I can do to tone down the treble is a plus. For reference, I was running the white felt filters with the stock Ether pads and am running both the black foam and black felt with the ZMF pads.
Mids for the most part stayed the same, if anything sounds slightly recessed now due to the bass increase. I'm sure throwing the baffles back on would even out the response again.

Soundstage is definitely more expanded, but I think the biggest change was the separation of instruments. Before I felt like all the instruments were on the same level and I had to really focus on a specific one to really appreciate it, now there is much better layering and can really enjoy the music rather than dissecting it.
Overall a great setup if you're looking for neutrality with a touch of warmth. Have been trying to find something as close to Andromeda's signature and I really think these nail it.

ZMF pads:
a4ow6Ij.jpg

Stock pads (older, softer pads I believe):
NGaAzYn.jpg

Filters in the ZMF pads. Just barely covers the whole opening.
p5CIyfh.jpg

Currently have a pair of the new Ether pads coming in the mail so we'll see how they compare, but really enjoying the ZMF pads on these right now.

Edit: Would like to add that the dip between bass and midrange sounds more prominent with the ZMF pads and no baffles. Seems like the pads are increasing the frequencies before the dip. Just an FYI if you plan on running without the baffles.

Edit 2: Running the new Ether pads and it's actually perfect. Fixed everything I thought was wrong when I first received them. For clarification I never listened to these without the 1.1 tuning kit so I don't really have a reference for what they originally sounded like. But using these new pads, the port baffles, and the white felt really showed me what these headphones are capable of. Bass is tight and punchy with rich mids. Detail retrieval is much better with the new pads too, I felt like I lost a lot of it when I was using the old pads with the white felt. Soundstage is expanded and instruments are nicely layered. Honestly are a must have purchase with the 1.1 tuning kit. The ZMF pads provided a very fun sound, but these new Ether pads just make sense. So much so that it puts the Ether's at the top of my list.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #5,505 of 5,796
This is my first post and I wanted to say “hi” so… Hi everyone

Recently I have a problem with my C Flow and I would like to ask You for help.

Also at the beginning I would like to apologize for my bad english.

I will try to describe the problem as best as possible. I am proud owner of MrSpeakers Ether C Flow since last December. I was looking for headphones from the top shelf and decided to choose this model from MrSpeakers.
This is my first set of Hi-end headphones and I am delighted with the quality of the sound that they present, despite the fact that at the moment they do not have adequate support from the DacAmp (HP currently play with Fiio E18 Kunlun). The purchase of better gear will take place within the next two weeks.

Despite poor DacAmp im still delighted with them ... or rather I have been to time. And here is the problem that I hope maybe You could help me with

Last week I bought tuning kit v1.1 (excluding new Vivo cable) and I am still waiting for new ear pads. I exchanged the paper decals . The only thing I did not apply was the perforated bass stickers. There were some changes in the sound that I was quite happy with. I tested the headphones for 2-3 days in this condition. Everything was ok.

After this time, I glued baffle vent stickers. The bass was slightly toned down and seemed more precise ... but ... Well, here were the problems started ...

The headphones ceased to deal with some sounds, or rather some distortion started to appear. On some songs (I noted that mainly with rock songs) I started to hear a strange crackling. In the sense of a buzzing, crackling (I do not know how to call it) on the sound of an electric guitar and some vocals.
It's very annoying and audible enough for me to exclude the fact that I have never caught it for the last three months.

I also exclude that something could get into the drivers, because I installed the tunning kit under running kitchen hood with additional lighting. I checked if the problem occurs on both sides by switching cables between left/right, I even tested them with better DacAmp (for exmaple Questyle cma600i) and its still there.

I am going to check the headphones in the previous setting (before installing Tuning kit) but I probably will not be able to apply it again without ordering a new set. That's why I wanted to ask you about your opinion before that. Have you noticed a similar problem in yours C Flow after installing tuning kit?

I would be very grateful if any of you could check if this problem also occurs in your unit.
If you have not noticed anything disturbing, could I ask you to check it out on specific tracks?

I am listening to music from Tidal Master and here are some tracks where problem occurs (I will write in brackets approx. times of songs where I can hear those issues, as an examples):
1. Black Pistol Fire – Yet again (from 01:02 but almost whole song)
2. Kaleo – No good (00:12 – 00:38)
3. Rival Sons – Memphis sun (00:17-00:28)
4. Black Pistol Fire – Hipster Shakes (00:00 – 00:11)
5. The Black Keys - My Mind Is Rambling (from 00:00 – almost whole song)
6. The White Stripes – Blue Orchid (00:13 – 00:16)
7. Little Huricane – Mt. Seniorita (01:12 – 01:20)
8. Rival Sons – Electric Man (02:05 – 02:13)
9. The Doors – Back Door Man (00:52 – 00:58)
10. Rumspringa – Casper (02:43 – 02: 49)

It's weird because in some songs these headphones still offer the best possible quality and I really love them, but I'm a little bit worried that something is wrong with them. I'm afraid I won’t be able to enjoy my music 100%.

I would really, reaaaallyyy appreciate your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back