MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Feb 8, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #5,476 of 5,796
Losing the "physical softness" with the newer pads is the only down grade for me with the 1.1 plus new pads upgrade.
They really are much stiffer and you can definitely feel this while putting them on the head. It seems to disappear though after wearing for some time

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #5,477 of 5,796
The new ear pads may slightly improve the sound quality, but it is more difficult to get the C's properly positioned now, and I miss the soft comfort of the original pads. I'll give it some time, maybe I just need to get used to the new pads. :)

Feb 10, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #5,479 of 5,796
The new ear pads may slightly improve the sound quality, but it is more difficult to get the C's properly positioned now, and I miss the soft comfort of the original pads. I'll give it some time, maybe I just need to get used to the new pads. :)
I've had the new pads for a while. Besides improved sound quality, I also like that they "encourage" the correct placement, pad against the back of the ear.

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #5,480 of 5,796
Hi everyone

I'm looking at ordering a pair of Ether C Flows soon a had a few quick questions. I'm assuming all new Ethers now come as 1.1 standard, no need to buy the tuning kit separately?

I currently have a chord Mojo but am looking at buying a desktop solution as well. Currently been looking at the Gilmore Lite mk2 to use with the mojo or maybe Schiit Mimby, Burson Conductor v2+ or Questyle cma400i. If anyone has experience pairing with any of these would be appreciated. I know Dan has mentioned the Gilmore Lite pairs nicely and seen a few people have mentioned the Conductor, haven't found much on the Questyle though. Unfortunately I don't live near any retailers for any of this gear so I can only work from impressions online

Thank you

Feb 16, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #5,481 of 5,796
Hi everyone

I'm looking at ordering a pair of Ether C Flows soon a had a few quick questions. I'm assuming all new Ethers now come as 1.1 standard, no need to buy the tuning kit separately?

I currently have a chord Mojo but am looking at buying a desktop solution as well. Currently been looking at the Gilmore Lite mk2 to use with the mojo or maybe Schiit Mimby, Burson Conductor v2+ or Questyle cma400i. If anyone has experience pairing with any of these would be appreciated. I know Dan has mentioned the Gilmore Lite pairs nicely and seen a few people have mentioned the Conductor, haven't found much on the Questyle though. Unfortunately I don't live near any retailers for any of this gear so I can only work from impressions online

Thank you
Let me recommend a Schiit Lyr with a good 6SN7 tube. The new Tung-Sol that Schiit sells for $25 is a good fit for the Ether C Flow 1.1, but it gets even better with either some NOS tubes (if you can get them reliably, 1940s Ken-Rad VT-231 or 1950s Sylvania "Bad Boy") or new high-end Psvane tubes like the UK-6SN7 or the 6SN7-SE. This setup scales up to really good DACs, and has an especial affinity for non-oversampling DACs (like the Holo Spring or the Metrum Onyx I'm currently using). But it should do well with a Schiit multibit DAC too (I've been hearing great reports on the current Bifrost multibit, which would ssit perfectly under a Lyr :wink:)

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #5,482 of 5,796
Let me recommend a Schiit Lyr with a good 6SN7 tube. The new Tung-Sol that Schiit sells for $25 is a good fit for the Ether C Flow 1.1, but it gets even better with either some NOS tubes (if you can get them reliably, 1940s Ken-Rad VT-231 or 1950s Sylvania "Bad Boy") or new high-end Psvane tubes like the UK-6SN7 or the 6SN7-SE. This setup scales up to really good DACs, and has an especial affinity for non-oversampling DACs (like the Holo Spring or the Metrum Onyx I'm currently using). But it should do well with a Schiit multibit DAC too (I've been hearing great reports on the current Bifrost multibit, which would ssit perfectly under a Lyr :wink:)

Thank you for your response. I have heard good things about the Schiit Lyr. I know it has the option to come with the DAC module as well, would you recommend that or would I be better off getting a separate unit? From what I've found seems like the DAC section of the Lyr and Jotunheim may not be the best and better off going separate?

Thanks

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #5,483 of 5,796
Thank you for your response. I have heard good things about the Schiit Lyr. I know it has the option to come with the DAC module as well, would you recommend that or would I be better off getting a separate unit? From what I've found seems like the DAC section of the Lyr and Jotunheim may not be the best and better off going separate?
I've owned a Jotunheim and I own a Lyr now, but never with internal DAC. Some people claim that the delta-sigma AKM-based internal board sounds better than the multibit internal board, but I never compared them. They also claim that an external Modi DAC is better than the internal one. I like Schit's higher-end multibit DACs, I used to own a Bifrost and I own an Yggdrasil. Lots of choices here, in your shoes I'd start with the simplest setup that fits budget.

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #5,484 of 5,796
I've owned a Jotunheim and I own a Lyr now, but never with internal DAC. Some people claim that the delta-sigma AKM-based internal board sounds better than the multibit internal board, but I never compared them. They also claim that an external Modi DAC is better than the internal one. I like Schit's higher-end multibit DACs, I used to own a Bifrost and I own an Yggdrasil. Lots of choices here, in your shoes I'd start with the simplest setup that fits budget.

Thanks. I used to own a gumby and KGST/007 so looking to downsize a little bit and get something slightly more portable than the stax so I can at least use in other rooms in the house with the Mojo. So probably not looking at any of the bigger stuff but have been looking into the modi and the bifrost and what amp I'd like to go with. Too many good choices amp wise around the same price point.

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #5,486 of 5,796
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #5,487 of 5,796
If I had ether Flows could Mr.Speakers convert them to C's?

I think if you contact them directly the are still doing them but they just don't offer it as a service on their website anymore.

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #5,489 of 5,796
Can anyone suggest a amp to use Ether C Flows with in the sub $500 price range? I currently own a Darkvoice 336se, Beyerdynamic A20 and Audeze Deckard but I'm really not too impressed with them so Im thinking it's just a poor amp pairing. Any suggestions would be great.
I like mine with the emotiva a-100 basx (with jumpers installed).

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #5,490 of 5,796
Can anyone suggest a amp to use Ether C Flows with in the sub $500 price range? I currently own a Darkvoice 336se, Beyerdynamic A20 and Audeze Deckard but I'm really not too impressed with them so Im thinking it's just a poor amp pairing. Any suggestions would be great.
Schiit Jotunheim is the best pairing I've heard with the Ether C Flows < $500. If you are willing to go a bit above $500, Schiit Lyr 3 with a good tube (I recommend Psvane UK-6SN7) is a quite a step up from the Jotunheim. I have also used the C Flows with > $1000 amps that I like even better. Here's a ranking of all the amps I've used with the C Flows:

Cavalli Liquid Carbon < Jotunheim < Neurochrome HP-1 < Lyr 3 + Psvane UK-6SN7 < Apex Peak + Psvane 6SN7-SE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back