MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #5,179 of 5,796
Im curious as to what a good pairing would be with the Ether C... I have a Mojo and am hoping I don't need to upgrade that to cater for it... But would like to know if the mojo works whlelll) well with it

Yes, absolutely, Mojo works very well with the Ether C in my opinion.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #5,180 of 5,796
Is there any way to tell the new ear pads from the old ear pads? I'm not sure which I have and don't know the order date.

The newer pads are firmer, the original pads were pretty soft. It's a different memory foam, that improved the sound and also fit. If your bass seems to drop a little below 40Hz and the pads feel cushy and not "medium firm" you probably have older pads. Sorry, there's nothing more precise I can say...

Im curious as to what a good pairing would be with the Ether C... I have a Mojo and am hoping I don't need to upgrade that to cater for it... But would like to know if the mojo works whlelll) well with it

Yes, excellent pairing. We use them at shows a lot.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 4, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #5,183 of 5,796
Would hugo2 pair nicely with ether 2?

i also read this comment which i can't understand from the ether 2 thread if mr speakers could explain what he meant or was it about cables? "Because planars are in effect a pure resistor, the response is independent of the source and cable resistance" how can the response be independent of the source with headphones????

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #5,184 of 5,796
Would hugo2 pair nicely with ether 2?

i also read this comment which i can't understand from the ether 2 thread if mr speakers could explain what he meant or was it about cables? "Because planars are in effect a pure resistor, the response is independent of the source and cable resistance" how can the response be independent of the source with headphones????
Not independent of the source, but independent of the source resistance (i.e. output impedance). Normally you're advised to make sure your headphone amp's output impedance is at least 8x lower than your headphone's nominal impedance, but with planars that is less important. Impedance is a form of resistance that is not constant, in dynamic headphones and speakers the impedance varies with the frequency, i.e. there's an impedance curve, not just a single value. For planars, that curve is usually flat, meaning the impedance is the same at all (audio) frequencies. You can check out Innerfidelity's headphone measurements to see lots of examples for such curves.

Happy for someone with a better understanding to clarify any inaccuracies in what I stated, I'm still learning. :)

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #5,188 of 5,796
What is the sound change?

I’m gonna need more time on that one, especially since I’m playing with the e stat pad and the original flow angled pad. Definitely seems like resolution improved right off the jump, since the new paper damping is a very different substance when compared to the original felt/foam damping.

Going back to the original pad really shrinks the soundstage when compared to the estat pad, but the tuning pads themselves don’t work terribly well with the e stat pad as the opening isn’t rectangular.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #5,190 of 5,796
What's about the body/bass/slam/mids?

Tuning kit with the white pads adds a fair amount of body to the mids, especially the lower end, while preserving resolution. These are still very early impressions, but I’m digging the sound, as it seems like it has a nice, smooth output, and the added warmth when playing with the pads is a very welcome addition.

Need to throw the e stat pads back on, but they felt a little too forward/harsh after installing the 1.1 kit. (Edit: the e stat pads with the white tuning pad warm things up a bit without sacrificing the HUGE soundstage that comes along with the stat pads. Still not quite as deep as the normal pads, but it was always going to be a trade off)

Interested to hear other people’s thoughts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back