MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jun 5, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #5,011 of 5,796
Yes, I like the new options it opens up.
Do you know of any combination / material that opens up the highs and keeps the rich lows?
Would not a modest, but well thought out EQ adjustment be able to accomplish this for you or are you using a source where that may not be an option?

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #5,013 of 5,796
hi, am new here. i recently purchase a pair of used ether flow. my upstream gear: pc streaming google music premium, and a JDS element amp. I had been using the monoprice m1060 with the upgrade cable ( an excellent combo for the price imo) but wanted to experiment, especially after reading some glowing reviews on the EFO. The etherflow was initially unimpressive. i found it "dark" lacking in midrange and treble clarity. I wasn't sure if that was an issue with the amp or the cans or just me.
i was tempted with the lyr3 as an upgrade as many here seem to like the pairing.
i decided to try an upgrade cable as the monoprice cable really opened up the m1060. the new cable arrived today and within the first 5 minutes it was obvious, that was the solution. The headphones are now using a silver plated 8 braid cable i found on ebay. Huge difference in the treble and mids. More clear, open, lively. the sound is amazing now.

I may still consider the lyr3 as my jds element is running in high gain mode trying to drive these cans.

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #5,014 of 5,796
I have removed 2 layers of foam under the pads in my Ethers C Flows.
They opened up: got more air, the soundstage widened and sound become clearer, more vivid, brigther.
I love it but I miss the bass a bit.
I saw in the thread that some people suggested removing only 1 layer of the foam.
I have 2 layers:
- white: closer to the driver, more dense
- black: closer to the pad, more sparse.
Could anyone share their impressions on the 4 options we have?
1. All foams removed.
2. Only white foam present
3. Only black foam present.
4. All foams present (factory setup).
Here i removed the black damper, but not the foam.
The headphone become a little bit more airy, i think this because the noise cancelling is less without the damper

More trasparent, detailed and little better image, for some reason to me the drums ( mids ~ or lower treble ¿? ) get more impact, with black damper the drums sound sweet-smooth, for example the guitars sound with less body and get more bright, for me that black damper is not the best option FOR ME imho.
I think without the black damper EFO sound neutral-natural.

I'm really interesed in change the black damper for a white damper.
Mrspeakers said the white damper starting around 1khz, yesterday i do some EQ in 1khz - 2khz without the black damper and wow... i really love them.
my last test was wrong apparently ( my new burson don't had the full burn-in ) , my problem of brightness was in that range ( 1khz - 2khz ) not in 7 and 13 khz~ as show the Frecuency response, so i do little EQ in that area, is really easy.
Now with the little EQ in 1-2khz, 3.5 or 2.5~ dB ( i don't know wich is better because i found that yesterday, i am still testing wich EQ can be better for me) sound trasparent, punchy, smooth with really good level of detailt, definaly an all rounder.

But that was my ears!, i think this thread is for share the opinion so here is my opinion
*Is easy remove the black damper and put it together with the foam again...*
This headphone have big potential :)

Best regards

update: today i finded my final EQ
Peace EQ, Q:3, -2,5 in 1800hz and 2500hz without the black damper, only with the foam, it was a really hard job...

For me the stock ( black + foam ) is too much, it get a little dark and drummer got too much relax, that's not for me.
I will wait for the Dan job, sound interesting what he can does.
Ether flow is nearly to perfect to me ( in FR ), the perfectcion can be the e-pad ( remove the foam and black damper ) and put a new damper.

I use that EQ for get the less bright FR, i think if you turn down the high you can hear more the bass.
pd: The ether flow can change a lot with the position... in some position is a little bright...
Best regards :)

i don't have the white damper and e-pad, sadly.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #5,016 of 5,796
Yes, I like the new options it opens up.
Do you know of any combination / material that opens up the highs and keeps the rich lows?

Tricky because increased highs usually causes perceived low frequency balance to decrease. Not sure.

am interested to see where this goes.

Me too.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 11, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #5,017 of 5,796
As I needed balanced cables to use with ether c flow, I recently bought silver-plated cables from this seller. 2.5m one is priced only around $120.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Cores-5n-Hi-end-Headphone-Upgrade-Cable-for-Mr-Speakers-Ether-Alpha-Dog-Prime/112477464922?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=412862822921&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

You can request XLR termination, and it took about 10 days to arrive. To my ears, it is more resolving than the stock DUM cable, and I prefer this.

After a few days of burning in and much listening with a little AB comparison thrown in I can also recommend these silver coated cables. I would hesitate to say they are "better" sounding than the DUM cables but they are the ones I will be using mostly. They are better for me for a few reasons.
First they are a couple of feet longer and have a nice easy hang to them so they are much more comfortable when I sit at my table beside my stereo rack. This was the main problem with the shorter DUM cable, it wasn't long enough and it is a bit stiff.
Second I do prefer the sound of this silver coated cable. Basically it sounds like a silver cable and the DUM sounds like a copper cable, personal preference applies here. The 8-Cores cable is quicker and slightly brighter, more articulate. It has a bit more startle factor with percussive instruments which is great for rock music. The DUM cable is warmer with a lot of body. The DUM cable is very seductive but the 8-Cores cable has a cleaner more open presentation which sounds more natural to my ears. I have been to a bunch of concerts at the SF Symphony recently so that experience helped me make that determination.
For the price the 8-Cores cable is very good. I would not have considered a very expensive headphone cable. Thank you for a great recommendation.
It did occur to me that the 8-Cores cable would be a nice option for the DUM cable. They are both solid performers with slightly contrasting sound signatures. I bet most people would easily be able to pick their favorite from the two, or enjoy both!

Jun 11, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #5,018 of 5,796
I also want to mention that I got the Neutrik XLR termination for my 8-Cores cable and I briefly listened to these cables on my Cavalli LC and Garage 1217 Ember II amps (not balanced on that one) but mostly on my brand new Schitt Mjolnir 2. I am very happy with the Mjolnir 2 with Phillips Miniwatt SQ 6922 tubes. WOW! The amp is said to pair well with the Ether Flow headphones, as a matter of fact sold by Mr Speakers, and the tubes also recommended by them. So if you wonder what they are hearing at Mr Speakers HQ this is it. I'll say more later but this amp really took control of the Flows. The bass and drums are just on another level now and the whole presentation is very lively and lots of fun, as close to being on stage with a band as I could imagine.

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #5,019 of 5,796
Jun 11, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #5,020 of 5,796
I wanted to replace my Liquid Carbon. I read the description of the Schitt Mjolnir 2 on the product page of the Mr Speakers website. Tubes used are described there. I decided I wanted to own the equipment being used with my Ether Flow headphones by their manufacturer.
Yeah, it was really hard to make that tube purchase, but now that it is done I am happy I went with them. My other tube amp is a Garage 1217 Ember II and I did a bit of tube rolling with that over the years. From very inexpensive tubes all the way to a frankentube dual tube setup with a pair of tubes that set me back $96. When I plugged just one of the Phillips Miniwatts into that little amp I was sold. Easily the best it had ever sounded. And that single tube was less expensive than the pair I normally have in there by about $20.
So your tube amps are very dependent on the tubes installed for their sound and in this case I believe the hype. I believe my Flows are sounding exactly how they were intended to sound and that is fantastic!

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #5,021 of 5,796
I love my ECFs, but wished for a bit more bass impact. I bought a Schiit Loki Mini which is a 4 band analog equalizer and with a bit of bass boost dialed in it is just where I want it. As far as I can determine the unit is completely transparent. For those looking for sound signature tweaks, this is a quick and easy solution.

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #5,022 of 5,796
When I plugged just one of the Phillips Miniwatts into that little amp I was sold.

Out of curiosity where did you bought this tube?

Jul 3, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #5,025 of 5,796
Hi Dan,
just curious, did you found some spare time in the evening already to play with the new tuning options and could you share anything already?

Working on it. Nothing I'm ready to release but a few promising new ideas.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back