MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Apr 11, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #4,246 of 5,796
I wonder, just out of curiosity, what the swivel mechanism on the ear cups of the flow is for? They swivel just in one direction. And the direction don't seem to help fit on a human head?

It does swivel in but just a hair. I'm guessing that little extra helps a lot while the headband also helps for flexibility. It swivels out more though so you are right on how it seems to be a backwards design but it still can swivel inwards and the comfort is unreal so I guess no need to change it.

Also if the hinge design was to be flipped I think it would look weird.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #4,248 of 5,796
Don't understand me wrong, comfort is extraordinary for me. I'm just curious on this swivel design

The design is one of the strongest points of the Ether Flow C. I get what your asking though.... I just put them on my head again to figure out the swivel motion. It's interesting that they don't swivel back but they do forward. They fit me excellent regardless ha.

I just did my comparison video between the Z1R and the Ether Flow C. Here is the link. Hope it helps someone! Didn't get to give my full thoughts between the two but tried my best given the time we had to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAF3KUJAg0w

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #4,249 of 5,796
The design is one of the strongest points of the Ether Flow C. I get what your asking though.... I just put them on my head again to figure out the swivel motion. It's interesting that they don't swivel back but they do forward. They fit me excellent regardless ha.

I just did my comparison video between the Z1R and the Ether Flow C. Here is the link. Hope it helps someone! Didn't get to give my full thoughts between the two but tried my best given the time we had to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAF3KUJAg0w

Fantastic video! Would love to see more in depth comparisons and hopefully I can visit the store one day :)

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #4,251 of 5,796
I wonder, just out of curiosity, what the swivel mechanism on the ear cups of the flow is for? They swivel just in one direction. And the direction don't seem to help fit on a human head?

We have never had an issue fitting human heads that I'm aware of, and in the history of the headphone to my knowledge there was only one customer we couldn't fit, and he said he had giantism.  So if you can explain your concern or email us we'll probably be able to help you out.

There is a limit on the rotation to prevent the headphone being damaged...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 11, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #4,252 of 5,796
Just want to report in that I received my E pads yesterday and I'm quite happy about them (Flow C). The first one was a pain to install since I've never swapped pads before but the second one came on as easy as it gets. I took me a few minutes to get used to the mesh touching my ear (and my ears are quite flat lol), but then it was fine. Best thing of course was the improved sound. I was never really sold on the stock pads for they sounded somewhat locked in or confined (that was comparing to the Ether C from which I upgraded). Now it's like the music has opened up and I'm really enjoying the wider presentation. Not versed in audiophile language, so that's all I can say really.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #4,253 of 5,796
The only thing I know about is the new electrostatic pads themselves which I think sound much better than the original pads.

I'm currently thinking about getting the Mjolnir 2 with Gumby since MattTCG seems to think tubes really bring out the Ether Flows but the new Chord Hugo 2 comes out soon. They are both almost the same price so I'm unsure which one to pursue.

I know the gumby is no joke but the Hugo 2 seems like it will have one of the best DACs ever and its portable. I'm just not sure about how a Hugo 2 or even a mojo sounds with the Flows but I've heard the mjolnir and thought it was great with the right tubes (though it was running on a modi 2).

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #4,255 of 5,796
Yay! Hopefully they work out for you! I know one person that prefers the original and thinks the E-pads suck but he likes the LCD - XC which I hated so yeah who knows really. Some like sushi and some don't. If you love soundstage then you will most likely enjoy the new pads. The original seem to make the Ether Flow sound too intimate and congested compared to the E- Pads (and I loved the original pads in the beginning). Well at least for me. Just gotta try it out
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #4,256 of 5,796
  I'm sure someone has gone from the Mjolnir2 to the Rag with the Ether Flows. I wonder how that experience has gone... ?

Mjo2 is the better match for synergy. It adds a richer tone provided you are using tubes. Which I think you are :)

Then I think I'm 'home' for now. I'm gonna go ahead and call the Battle Station 'Armed and Operational'... I guess now it's time to stop screwing around on Forums and get to work :)

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #4,257 of 5,796
We have never had an issue fitting human heads that I'm aware of, and in the history of the headphone to my knowledge there was only one customer we couldn't fit, and he said he had giantism.  So if you can explain your concern or email us we'll probably be able to help you out.

There is a limit on the rotation to prevent the headphone being damaged...

I'm sorry, maybe I explained myself wrong in English.
I really didn't want to raise any, ANY, concerns about the fit of the headphone, which in my opinion is absolutely extraordinary!
I really just wanted to ask, from an curious, engineering point of view, why they swivel more in one direction than the other.
Maybe it's my bad English, so sorry once again. I love the fit of the Ether!

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #4,258 of 5,796
I really didn't want to raise any, ANY, concerns about the fit of the headphone, which in my opinion is absolutely extraordinary!
I really just wanted to ask, from an curious, engineering point of view, why they swivel more in one direction than the other.

The flexibility of the NiTinol headband is the key and more than enough to help with any lack of swivel on the cups IMO. A well thought out design overall for a wide range of head shapes.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #4,259 of 5,796

Ah, now I understand.  It's just anatomy, people's heads taper toward the back, always.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back