MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jan 21, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #3,632 of 5,796
  I've had my Ether Flow for about a week now and I am very impressed.  I'm a little freaked out at how easy they are to drive.  I am using my HA-2 and on low gain setting I am feeling the music is too loud at 3-3.5 I guess someone would have to explain if that changes as they burn in?  I am expecting a delivery of a WA8 as I ordered one yesterday.  So far as these are my only second pair of audiophile grade headphones I can hear detail I couldn't with the PM-3.  Listening to Mark Snow X-Files I had to keep taking headphones off thinking something was making a noise in my house...LOL

In my experience, HA-2 does a pretty damn good job driving highend cans.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #3,633 of 5,796
From my experience most amps get brighter with volume and more distortion.

Not to leave this as the last word on the subject... while I may have had a similar opinion in the past. That all changed when I bought a headphone amp capable of melting most headphones before it has a stitch of audible distortion (see my sig). Now it's perfection at any volume that doesn't result in the magic smoke that makes the headphone work from being released.

Jan 22, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #3,634 of 5,796
  In my experience, HA-2 does a pretty damn good job driving highend cans.

Yes it does, What I am amazed at is that my volume level starts getting loud at 3 on the low gain setting! 

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #3,635 of 5,796
I just checked out that W8. Pretty cool gadget! But at almost 3 lbs and 4 hours battery life for just an amp I don't see it being terribly practical. Hopefully I can check one out some day. But probably not to purchase...

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #3,636 of 5,796
  I just checked out that W8. Pretty cool gadget! But at almost 3 lbs and 4 hours battery life for just an amp I don't see it being terribly practical. Hopefully I can check one out some day. But probably not to purchase...

I walked in to a midtown Toronto headphone shop recently and a guy was auditioning headphones through a W8 that was sitting on a table top connected to his portable player. I had no idea what it was at the time but it looked very cool. Now that I know what it was I wish I'd gotten a chance to try it out.

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #3,637 of 5,796

I walked in to a midtown Toronto headphone shop recently and a guy was auditioning headphones through a W8 that was sitting on a table top connected to his portable player. I had no idea what it was at the time but it looked very cool. Now that I know what it was I wish I'd gotten a chance to try it out.

Other than the weight and the crap battery, I think it can out shine many full size amps. Being big and heavy, I think most listening will be done sitting down near a wall outlet so battery is not a issue. I just can't see anyone walking and listening with this amp but it's sound is exceptional.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #3,638 of 5,796

As I wait for it to arrive I think our mobile environment has fogged the purpose of the WA8 its transportable not portable.  Perfect example for me is I work doing different task in different areas around our house.  I can now disconnect A/C without stopping the music and continue listening somewhere else.  Try that with another tube amp.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #3,639 of 5,796
Oh absolutely! It is true I never sit and work at different locations in my home... Being able to unplug and move without the unit shutting down for another four hours will be a great asset. And yeah tube amps are hard to move! Hot tubes sticking out and all.
I will be interested in hearing how you like it with the Flows. I posted earlier about my own experience when I received my Flows and first noticed large differences in the music presentation between my relatively inexpensive solid state and tube headphone amps (Cavalli LC and Garage Ember II). The Flows are very revealing!

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #3,640 of 5,796
Just got notification my upgrade is completed and shipping label prepared :)  Looking forward to Flow C!

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #3,641 of 5,796
  Just got notification my upgrade is completed and shipping label prepared :)  Looking forward to Flow C!

Me too!

Flows a headed my way. I'm excited.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #3,642 of 5,796
Any updates on the new pads with the circular opening? As mentioned previously by another member, I get the pressure points just below my ear canal from the standard pads from both of my Ethers. I switched to some Brainwavz pads but with their original oval shape they aren't the best solution. Comfort for me is much better though.

Also any chance we would see a hybrid pad with leather sides and velour/suede on the contact area? That would be so comfy.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #3,643 of 5,796

Me too!

You guys are in for a treat. My Flows just keep getting better and better. I now think mine were not burnt in (I purchased second hand).

They are getting a lot more comfortable and the sound has changed a lot. I thought I would have to tone them down (treble). Now I'm not too sure. I think they are sounding bang on. Sounding great on all music. Seems to be smoother as well. Very lush. Has anyone noticed the soundstage? I'm not sure but I think that has changed as well.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #3,644 of 5,796
  Me too!

Me three! 18 Days from receipt with a few weekends thrown in.  Good job guys!  Looking forward to delivery.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #3,645 of 5,796
  Any updates on the new pads with the circular opening? As mentioned previously by another member, I get the pressure points just below my ear canal from the standard pads from both of my Ethers. I switched to some Brainwavz pads but with their original oval shape they aren't the best solution. Comfort for me is much better though.

Also any chance we would see a hybrid pad with leather sides and velour/suede on the contact area? That would be so comfy.

Poor timing with factory, pads are on order but will be mid to late Feb. 

So far we've never found a suede or velour that doesn't tank the bass.  We'll keep looking.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back