MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jan 27, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #3,661 of 5,796
  it might be because C Flow is not that bright as much as its predecessor. For the same reason, C Flow may not be a good match with Mojo any longer. 

I've never tried the original C. I have been very happy using the C Flow with the Mojo. Of course, others may disagree.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,662 of 5,796

I've never tried the original C. I have been very happy using the C Flow with the Mojo. Of course, others may disagree.

I am also curious about this. The original C has shrilling high on some music especially on female vocal. Many people prefer to have dampening DAC. If Ether C Flow is not that bright or even smoother than the open Flow, should we have to look for another DAC than Mojo. Particularly if one enjoys somewhat bright sound signature. I found a tad bright sound signature goes very well along with female vocal. Mojo may be too smooth.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #3,663 of 5,796
  I've had my Ether Flow for about a week now and I am very impressed.  I'm a little freaked out at how easy they are to drive.  I am using my HA-2 and on low gain setting I am feeling the music is too loud at 3-3.5 I guess someone would have to explain if that changes as they burn in?  I am expecting a delivery of a WA8 as I ordered one yesterday.  So far as these are my only second pair of audiophile grade headphones I can hear detail I couldn't with the PM-3.  Listening to Mark Snow X-Files I had to keep taking headphones off thinking something was making a noise in my house...LOL

I have the HA-2 in my mobile rig, and can testify it drives the Ether Flow very well.  I'm using the HA-2 only as an amplifier.

The rig is AK240 (source/DAC) - HA-2 (amp) - Wywires Platinum - Ether Flow.  See the pic (taken on the deck of our rental cabin in Gatlinburg TN, a couple weeks before the wildfires hit).  What I like about the HA-2 as a portable amp is - slim design, plenty of power, very quiet/black noise floor.  It will also drive my LCD-X very well (but not the HD800).

I haven't heard the W8, but think you will experience good results :).

Enjoy your music!
RCB

ps.  BTW @dawktah2 I grew up in Valpo.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #3,664 of 5,796

I have the HA-2 in my mobile rig, and can testify it drives the Ether Flow very well.  I'm using the HA-2 only as an amplifier.

The rig is AK240 (source/DAC) - HA-2 (amp) - Wywires Platinum - Ether Flow.  See the pic (taken on the deck of our rental cabin in Gatlinburg TN, a couple weeks before the wildfires hit).  What I like about the HA-2 as a portable amp is - slim design, plenty of power, very quiet/black noise floor.  It will also drive my LCD-X very well (but not the HD800).

Enjoy your music!
RCB

Thanks so much!  I have begun listening to the Ether Flow/WA8 combo and so far I can say in 2 tube mode its hard to hear differences before doing detailed comparison.  HOWEVER, in 3 tube mode its significant!  The soundstage is wider and far greater bass response.  Brass instruments and percussion sound very different with only two days in.

I may move to a DAP when one with USB-C is more readily available

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #3,665 of 5,796
Anyone knows if the plastic slides for the size adjustment can be somehow tightened?
My left slide is slightly loose, sometimes when I move the cans to fine-tune the fit it slides by a few millimetres.

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #3,666 of 5,796
Anyone knows if the plastic slides for the size adjustment can be somehow tightened?
My left slide is slightly loose, sometimes when I move the cans to fine-tune the fit it slides by a few millimetres.

I had the same issue. Just tighten the screw located in the inside of the band. Gently. A quarter turn at a time.

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #3,667 of 5,796
Upgraded Ether to Flow status has landed.  Burn-in has commenced.  Looking forward to hear the improvement over the original.

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #3,668 of 5,796
Upgraded Ether to Flow status has landed.  Burn-in has commenced.  Looking forward to hear the improvement over the original.

My treble was a little harsh when I started. Glad to report that settles down nicely and now sounds one of the best I've heard for treble.

I don't desire a single sound signature change on my Flows now. It took a fair while to burn in. Listenable during the process tho.

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #3,670 of 5,796

My treble was a little harsh when I started. Glad to report that settles down nicely and now sounds one of the best I've heard for treble.

I don't desire a single sound signature change on my Flows now. It took a fair while to burn in. Listenable during the process tho.

Got mine yesterday as well. Listened to them for maybe 45 minutes yesterday and well... Honestly I didn't like what I heard. They felt kinda "off" and found myself thinking, "I miss the original Ethers!" But, I also wasn't feeling that well so put them down I burned the in for last 18 hrs or so. Tonight I only put them on for a few minutes, but they already seemed to sound MUCH better. I'll keep on burning them in like I did when I had Ether C's.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #3,671 of 5,796

Enjoy your music!
RCB

​Interesting that you're using the AK240 into an amp since the A240 is fully capable of driving the Ether Flows on its own.  Could you tell us what benefits you feel the amp provides?  It would also seem that maybe some detail would be lost going into the additional cable and circuitry of the amp. If so, would it be a case of the benefits outweighing the loss?

I'm considering doing the same thing so I'd be very interested in your experience. Thanks.  (BTW, I've also got the WyWires Platinum for my Ether Flows --great cable!!)

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #3,673 of 5,796
  The cables are listed at an insane price on the website for speakers, but it wasn't clear how much they would cost for headphones. Could you possibly give me a ballpark cost with Ether Flows?

I was quoted $599 for standard 5 ft. length Platinum, $299 for the red.  That was a little while back.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #3,674 of 5,796

Enjoy your music!
RCB

I owned both HA-2 and Hugo. After 3 months testing them with my original C, I sold my Hugo. I tried hard to find which one would work better with the original C. But difference is minimum if any, at least to my ears, and I do not think one is better than the other. Hugo seems to have slightly better bass response but crispness of sound is better with HA-2. Of course, there are some qulifications. I am a layman listener. Apple music is my source, and I have no plan to move to FLACs or any other lossless sources. (And also I don't want to). I enjoy EDM, dance, pop, and female vocal and use the white dampening material to control some harshness on the C.   

In my opinon, Chord products are overrated for their prices overall. With $300, you can do as well with added compatibility with the I-products. Maybe I don't have golden ears. 

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #3,675 of 5,796

Damn. Baby Ethers. Well done Mr Speakers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back