MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Dec 30, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #3,286 of 5,796
  LOL! No please don't make me feel even worst, I already started feeling the shame after hiding my first box...

I feel guilty, sometimes, too :)~

For Christmas I got a new smoker and then found out my wife was about to go to the distributor to surprise me with it. It was a wee bit too big to hide and at ~$3k you will sometimes get approval rather than the dreaded "Why do you need another xyz" ( xyz typically being in the domain of cars, motorcycle, audio equipment, guns, smokers, watches, etc )

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #3,288 of 5,796
  A new smoker? Which one? Off topic, I know, but this is very important!

Yes it is very important I agree! My grandmother was from Transconna.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #3,290 of 5,796

YS640 Comp..  Still trying to figure out where were to plug the Ether C in 

How's the SQ on that thing? 
wink_face.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3,291 of 5,796
  And there we go guys, after the first audition I described above I resisted exactly 24 hours then I went back to the shop and got myself a brand new pair of Ether C Flow...
The T5p 2.gen from amazon are going back...

For twice the price of the Beyerdynamics I am not sure it was a wise move, but as someone said on this forum you are either wise or an audiophile...

I just got the Ether C Flows today. I still have the T5p.2s too. I think I'll keep the T5ps for when I'm out and about. If those get lost or broken I'll be be upset, but not nearly to the level I would be if something happened to the Ether C Flows.

The Ether C Flows are really efficient, they play loud off my iPhone, so that's one reason you won't miss the T5p.2s. I'm really surprised because I have to turn up the Mojo more than I thought I would and yet they still work off an iPhone just fine too. Weird.

Yhe sound, it is indeed better by a measurable margin than the T5p.2. I have literally 15 minutes on the EDFs and they are the best headphones I've ever heard and I used to own a Stax back in the day. I can only imagine what they'll sound like after 150 hours. I'm playing through the Mojo right now. Isolation and leakage is similar to the T5p.2.

I'm having trouble finding the volume setting I like, these have dynamic range to them that makes that a moving target.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #3,293 of 5,796
Today I joined the MrSpeakers club with the Ether C Flows and here's a few observations:

1. I wouldn't want anything heavier. These are not heavy, but they teeter close to being so. Kudos to Dan for getting them under the magical weight level. I have very serious neck issues and weight matters more than any other ergonomically issue.

2. The box said "Ether Flow" instead of "Ether C Flow" so I was worried until I opened the box and saw that beautiful carbon fiber. I'm not sure if that was a goof or if all the boxes say "Ether Flow."

3. Burn-in smurn-in, I'm listening to them straight out of the box instead of waiting. I'll burn them in during off-hours. Maybe. Shoot, either I'm an unrefined aural cretin or people are making too much of the 0-hour sound of these. What's not to love? They sound incredible. If they get better, shoot, what a bonus but if they never got better than this then I got my money's worth.

4. The bass is good. Makes me think that anything less would be "light" though. Glad I went with the Flows. Gotta have bass in music.

5. They don't create that air pressure that I get with my Audeze phones. Maybe it's my eyeglasses getting in the way. If so, that's a good thing in my opinion.

6. They love the Mojo. I have no desire to get a desktop amp with this little jewel doing so well.

7. I was very doubtful about the claims that they would run on an iPhone. But, they run on my iPhone 6 plus and my MacBook pro at sound levels so loud it's uncomfortable. The sound isn't as good as through the Mojo (duh); I can detect that right off. BUT, they still sound amazing even without the amp straight from an iPhone or computer. The specs of this headphone are very conservative because they play louder than my Audeze Sines and almost as loud as my Beyer T5p.2s and the specs don't read like they should. For those of you who wanted to know, now you know.

8. Sorry, Dan, but the case isn't very useful. A handle would be nice. I'll buy a Pelican case and be done with it though. No way I'm taking these out of the house without the latter.

9. These resolve just as good as my Grado GS1000i headphones, which up to this point were, for me, the kings of resolution. The ECF is as good and does it smoother and in a more musical manner. Still love those Grados though.

10. The ECF handles vocals better than all my other HPs. I love the body the vocals have and the natural sounding timber of the various voices in my song collection. You can hear vocals so well and intimately that you can tell when the singer has spittle in his/her mouth.

11. Guitars used to rule highest on the GS1000i but I think the ECF does them better. Is there anything this HP can't do? 

12. The dynamic range takes getting used to and is a revelation. I can be listening to a quiet interlude and then a musician comes in more aggressively and the ECF shows it to you with real range, not the fake collapsed range you get on most HPs. This iis how real music sounds, in real life. Yet the ECF doesn't take it too far where you're always fiddling with the knobs.

13. As for the professional reviews of this headphone: Take those with a grain of salt. Those guys are clearly looking for small things, not large things or there wouldn't be much to write about. Such as Tyll Hertsens talking about what he sees as the faults of these HPs. I don't hear those things, they're small, too small for me to notice. There are HPs for all tastes of course and not everyone wants closed headphones or likes them. When buying headphones, decide first which you like (closed or open) before looking at the other aspects of a headphone.

14. Because I can't end on 13, right? This is how a cable should be done. Beyerdynamics T5p.2 has a very similar cable which I also appreciate. Grado cables are horrible in comparison. Grado needs to stop using that garden hose they call a cable and take a cue from Dan and his DUM cable. The Audeze Sine cable is somewhere in-between.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #3,294 of 5,796
BTW, on the Ethers, the cables delineated silver and red, does it matter which side (L/R) they plug into? Right now I have the red in the right side, based purely on the wild-ass-guess that R for Red and Right.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #3,295 of 5,796
  BTW, on the Ethers, the cables delineated silver and red, does it matter which side (L/R) they plug into? Right now I have the red in the right side, based purely on the wild-ass-guess that R for Red and Right.

You guess correctly :)

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #3,296 of 5,796

In all the pictures I found online, including the ones from MrSpeakers site, the red cable is on the left.
But does it make any difference?

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #3,297 of 5,796
Today I joined the MrSpeakers club with the Ether C Flows and here's a few observations:

1. I wouldn't want anything heavier. These are not heavy, but they teeter close to being so. Kudos to Dan for getting them under the magical weight level. I have very serious neck issues and weight matters more than any other ergonomically issue.

2. The box said "Ether Flow" instead of "Ether C Flow" so I was worried until I opened the box and saw that beautiful carbon fiber. I'm not sure if that was a goof or if all the boxes say "Ether Flow."

3. Burn-in smurn-in, I'm listening to them straight out of the box instead of waiting. I'll burn them in during off-hours. Maybe. Shoot, either I'm an unrefined aural cretin or people are making too much of the 0-hour sound of these. What's not to love? They sound incredible. If they get better, shoot, what a bonus but if they never got better than this then I got my money's worth.

4. The bass is good. Makes me think that anything less would be "light" though. Glad I went with the Flows. Gotta have bass in music.

5. They don't create that air pressure that I get with my Audeze phones. Maybe it's my eyeglasses getting in the way. If so, that's a good thing in my opinion.

6. They love the Mojo. I have no desire to get a desktop amp with this little jewel doing so well.

7. I was very doubtful about the claims that they would run on an iPhone. But, they run on my iPhone 6 plus and my MacBook pro at sound levels so loud it's uncomfortable. The sound isn't as good as through the Mojo (duh); I can detect that right off. BUT, they still sound amazing even without the amp straight from an iPhone or computer. The specs of this headphone are very conservative because they play louder than my Audeze Sines and almost as loud as my Beyer T5p.2s and the specs don't read like they should. For those of you who wanted to know, now you know.

8. Sorry, Dan, but the case isn't very useful. A handle would be nice. I'll buy a Pelican case and be done with it though. No way I'm taking these out of the house without the latter.

9. These resolve just as good as my Grado GS1000i headphones, which up to this point were, for me, the kings of resolution. The ECF is as good and does it smoother and in a more musical manner. Still love those Grados though.

10. The ECF handles vocals better than all my other HPs. I love the body the vocals have and the natural sounding timber of the various voices in my song collection. You can hear vocals so well and intimately that you can tell when the singer has spittle in his/her mouth.

11. Guitars used to rule highest on the GS1000i but I think the ECF does them better. Is there anything this HP can't do? 

12. The dynamic range takes getting used to and is a revelation. I can be listening to a quiet interlude and then a musician comes in more aggressively and the ECF shows it to you with real range, not the fake collapsed range you get on most HPs. This iis how real music sounds, in real life. Yet the ECF doesn't take it too far where you're always fiddling with the knobs.

13. As for the professional reviews of this headphone: Take those with a grain of salt. Those guys are clearly looking for small things, not large things or there wouldn't be much to write about. Such as Tyll Hertsens talking about what he sees as the faults of these HPs. I don't hear those things, they're small, too small for me to notice. There are HPs for all tastes of course and not everyone wants closed headphones or likes them. When buying headphones, decide first which you like (closed or open) before looking at the other aspects of a headphone.

14. Because I can't end on 13, right? This is how a cable should be done. Beyerdynamics T5p.2 has a very similar cable which I also appreciate. Grado cables are horrible in comparison. Grado needs to stop using that garden hose they call a cable and take a cue from Dan and his DUM cable. The Audeze Sine cable is somewhere in-between.

Agreed on point 1).
Regarding point 2) what is the serial number and production lot of your ECF?

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #3,298 of 5,796
Red is right.

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #3,299 of 5,796
You get a very sturdy case to protect them while not in use so don't worry.
They will be absolutely safe in the carrying case.

And the case replaces need for a stand. The headphones rest snuggly on top when not on the head or within the case.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #3,300 of 5,796
Can anyone comment on the Moon Audio V3 silver cable vs Kimber Kable 16 strand copper? So far been reading great things about the two with the first being more affordable.
I would like to upgrade the cable on mine to a 1.2 M, 3.5 mm,for more portability and increase in the sound.
Also i have the revised DUM 6 Ft, balanced for other times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back