MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 5, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #2,266 of 5,796

Breaking in my Ether Flows and Wywires Platinum balanced cable. 100 hours or so on the Schiit Stack then 150 hours on my other computer system . The whole time playing Jango internet radio, playing mostly EDM for Dan as its his favorite.

Oct 5, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #2,267 of 5,796
How much are the platinum wires going for?

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #2,268 of 5,796
Greaaaat, this thread too? is there like a world wide full moon?

People can't help themselves! It seems telling people what to do regarding personal preference is a bit of a hobby on this site. Bit of a hint in the phrase as to why they shouldn't do that though...

Back on topic. After leaving my Ether Flows running over the last week the treble has smoothed off a tad and the bass seems to hit a bit harder/deeper. I am assuming it is the diaphragm breaking in but I got a whole new system at the same time as the headphones so it could be partly down other bits burning in; Schiit multibit dacs are known to take a while to warm up. Overall though I am liking the sound more and more. Got a Toxic cable incoming as well which should be good (got to love a good competition).

The Ether Flows have a bit more treble and a bit less bass compared to my K10s, the sound stage is also a fair bit bigger and more accurate. I would say they are very similar in dynamics and the organic nature of the sound though. Hopefully the sound signature comparison helps someone. They are both fantastic sounding but suit different situations as one is open and the other is a sealed CIEM.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #2,269 of 5,796
How much are the platinum wires going for?

I think a short cord is $599. I had him do some other work so I'm not positive about the price. He's at the Rocky Mountain Show this week, but just call one of his dealers.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #2,270 of 5,796
Have been listening to the newly arrived Flow and C-Flow along with a few customers and...wow.  Have to wonder if Dan and company have been burning these in more prior to mailing them out than they did with the original Ethers. With minimal burn in they already sound so good. I remember how many hours it took the original C to open up, but the C Flow is already a champ.  If they continue to improve with burn in, again...wow.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #2,271 of 5,796
  Have been listening to the newly arrived Flow and C-Flow along with a few customers and...wow.  Have to wonder if Dan and company have been burning these in more prior to mailing them out than they did with the original Ethers. With minimal burn in they already sound so good. I remember how many hours it took the original C to open up, but the C Flow is already a champ.  If they continue to improve with burn in, again...wow.

Awesome!  Can't wait to hear more impressions, especially how the C compares to the C Flow. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #2,272 of 5,796
Well that's good to hear. Have a new SU-1 & a Gustard x20 burning in for the last three days waiting on my C's to come back from Dan as C Flows. Ive been a little bummed that Im going to have to burn in a lot more once they arrive. Everything sounds awesome on my HD600's , but nothing like the c's will sound.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #2,274 of 5,796
Hey guys, may I ask a question about the Ethers' pad break-in?

I auditioned both open and closed Ether Flow's today and I was incredibly impressed, moreso of the C than the open Ether. However, I found the C to be less comfortable than the open Ether and I discovered it was because the pads of the open Ether were a bit thinner and less dense.

Since the open Ether demo was released first, it makes sense that this is due to pad break-in, but can I get a confirmation that the leather pads do get more comfortable over time? Because right now, comfort is the only thing hesitating me from purchasing the Ether C Flow.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #2,275 of 5,796
Leather like all skin needs Care and does become more supple over time or new shoes would always feel stiff no matter how long you use them..
As it's skin from a cow, leather varies in thickness even after a tannery have done thier work...We could moan to Dan to start using the leather used in Ferrari's or expensive driving gloves..
:sunglasses:
Body safe leather care products can do some of that work. I can't remember were the recommended products are.
Some artic tribes women spend hours scraping and bitting raindeer skin...
But you won't see Dan chewing on ear pads at RMAF between interview's .. getting the next batch ready...(That's Peters Job)...:laughing:
You could take the foam out and gently rub with your finger and thumb between the surface touching the ear working the leather.... The foam gives with use.. as our heads are all different...

Probably the most over descriptive leather post on headfi. ...
Or just Email for the recommended care product or Mr Speakers Peters dentist..

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #2,276 of 5,796
Anything new on an upgrade program?

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #2,277 of 5,796
Leather like all skin needs Care and does become more supple over time or new shoes would always feel stiff no matter how long you use them..
As it's skin from a cow, leather varies in thickness even after a tannery have done thier work...We could moan to Dan to start using the leather used in Ferrari's or expensive driving gloves..
:sunglasses:
Body safe leather care products can do some of that work. I can't remember were the recommended products are.
Some artic tribes women spend hours scraping and bitting raindeer skin...
But you won't see Dan chewing on ear pads at RMAF between interview's .. getting the next batch ready...(That's Peters Job)...:laughing:
You could take the foam out and gently rub with your finger and thumb between the surface touching the ear working the leather.... The foam gives with use.. as our heads are all different...

Probably the most over descriptive leather post on headfi. ...
Or just Email for the recommended care product or Mr Speakers Peters dentist..

​It's not cow leather it's lamb skin, i.e., "lamb leather", which is even softer. But, on this type of leather you can't use some conditioners, like Lexol, that can over conditioner the leather and make it too soft, even a bit mushy. You can use a conditioner like the one that Audeze sells (also available online in larger sizes) or Leather CPR. There was a whole discussion about conditioners on an Audeze thread about 2 years ago.  FWIW, I had called Lexol and they specifically said do not use it on lamb leather, for the reason I mentioned.. But whatever you use don't use too much.

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #2,279 of 5,796
  Anything new on an upgrade program?

I would not expect anything new until late next week if then.  Everybody will be in Denver at RMAF + travel and catch up next week.

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #2,280 of 5,796
​It's not cow leather it's lamb skin, i.e., "lamb leather", which is even softer. But, on this type of leather you can't use some conditioners, like Lexol, that can over conditioner the leather and make it too soft, even a bit mushy. You can use a conditioner like the one that Audeze sells (also available online in larger sizes) or Leather CPR. There was a whole discussion about conditioners on an Audeze thread about 2 years ago.  FWIW, I had called Lexol and they specifically said do not use it on lamb leather, for the reason I mentioned.. But whatever you use don't use too much.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Wax-Free-Leather-Preservative-Conditioner/dp/B00B6F88N4/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1475873004&sr=1-2&keywords=Apple+brand+leather

I own a Frank Clegg vegetable tanned leather briefcase, and Frank swears by this stuff. It is wax free and replenishes the leather to give it a soft luster. The leather on these ear pads will likely break in naturally using the oil from your head, but the Apple leather conditioner will definitely expedite the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back