MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Sep 29, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,236 of 5,796
Agreed. I quite like the Ether Cs for the office. They isolate better than any closed headphones I've had before. They're obviously much less isolating than custom IEMs.

I'm glad Vlad is getting into high end headphones. While he doesn't yet know what he's talking about, I trust he will eventually.

I was a little irritated by the statement, that the isolation of Ether Flow C is not suited for office use.
Can you tell me which closed cans you have heard before?

Cheers

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,237 of 5,796
  Got a Schiit Mjolnir 2, a Gungnir Multibit and Ether Flows (open) arriving tomorrow! CAN'T WAIT!!! 
gs1000.gif

oooooh nice enjoy....and Ive got Ether Flow closed arrive tomorrow.  (London, UK based)  :)

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #2,240 of 5,796
Interesting comparison between the Flow and the C Flow in the Verge review. I disagree though that the C Flow doesn't offer enough isolation to be a good office headphone.

I'm using mine in the office right now and it seems to offer the same isolation/leakage as the original Ether C. Which is pretty average isolation for a closed headphone, but certainly good enough to use in an office without issue.

I disagree with you, at least for Ether C. It is sort of misleading. Eventually, it depends on which volume you listen to. If you increase volume to the level at which Ether C performs well enough, it leaks sounds quite a lot. I work in an isolated office with a door open, but I still worry about whether it could annoy people around me.

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #2,241 of 5,796
We are working on the upgrades and they are in production now, we should have some updates toward the end of next week.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 29, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #2,242 of 5,796
  I disagree with you, at least for Ether C. It is sort of misleading. Eventually, it depends on which volume you listen to. If you increase volume to the level at which Ether C performs well enough, it leaks sounds quite a lot. I work in an isolated office with a door open, but I still worry about whether it could annoy people around me.

At little louder than usual volume for me I can barely hear anything when sealing the headphones around my leg. So unless you are listening ridiculously loud in an office where there's background noise anyway to drown it out it shouldn't be a problem at all. Very good at cancelling and isolating!

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #2,244 of 5,796
Throwing my 2 cents in around the Ether C and using sealed headphones in the office in general...

I have a Shure 1540 and an Ether C (currently away getting upgraded to open flow). Both seal very well with minimal leakage. I work in an open office with several colleagues sitting within 1.5 meters (6 feet for the yanks) of me. Never had a complaint around noise.

For listening at low to moderate levels, I find the Shure better than the Ether C as it has a somewhat boosted response in the bass and treble. That seems to work much better for quieter listening. Doesn't work at all if listening to loud volume levels, but for moderate office listening the Shure is perfect (and preferable for me to the Ether C).

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #2,245 of 5,796

No reason to worry, test it out with someone. I did tests with multiple types of music at a volume as loud as I would ever listen to and neither me or a coworker could hear anything from more than a few feet away. In a dead quiet room sure, you can hear leakage, but not in an office with background noises.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #2,247 of 5,796
Will do a comparison of the whole things eventually, unfortunately I have a wedding all weekend so I won't get much listening time in. Damn family
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #2,249 of 5,796
I wasn't very happy with my new Ether Flows... Then I realised I had forgotten to turn of my DSP that I have for my speakers, woops! 
tongue.gif
 Once that was sorted audio bliss ensued, very happy and like yourself not even burned in yet. The new Schiit gear is very nice as well although even on low gain I have the Mjo2 set to around 9:30, always nice to have headroom though. Will give better impressions in a week or so.

I think I will probably end up getting a new cable in the future for the Ether Flows though, this one is a bit short and it seems to keep its shape a bit too much for me (I guess that might changed after it is left uncoiled for a while).

Oct 2, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #2,250 of 5,796
I registered to upgrade my Ether Cs within the first 24 hours (I think) and ordered open Flows on August 30. Any one order around August 30 have your new Flows yet???????
Good things come to those who wait. I had to wait 5 weeks for my Schiit Yiggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back