MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Sep 6, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #1,981 of 5,796
Thanks this is very helpful. Sounds like I will head toward the Utopias and will seek out a demo of the Ethers if possible. Price not being an issue, does not mean I like it lol. But I am an enabler.

If price is no issue, the Utopia is (IMHO) the best headphone you can buy right now.  If price is an issue, the Flows are the best value over $1k and perform amazingly well for the price.

Of course if price is no issue, you might want to check out the Ether E when that's ready...  That is a seriously good headphone too!  
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #1,983 of 5,796
^

Price is not an issue but less is always better. I am not one to waist money on hifi. The speaker world has shown me money does not always make a better system.

One day I heard a $170k Wilson system out classed by a $60k Wilson system (local show). Both eye bleeding expensive and it was a quick lesson that more is not always better or even as good.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,984 of 5,796
^

Price is not an issue but less is always better. I am not one to waist money on hifi. The speaker world has shown me money does not always make a better system.

One day I heard a $170k Wilson system out classed by a $60k Wilson system (local show). Both eye bleeding expensive and it was a quick lesson that more is not always better or even as good.

But in this case the Utopia is definitely the better headphone.. don't get me wrong, I love the Ether but the Utopia really deserves the hype.. again I did not like the Elear as well, this was not the case with the Utopia

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #1,986 of 5,796
Stop it still Hart. ...Let us get the upgrades finished before we frighten our wallets to death...

^

Don't let it scare you too much.  Last I heard they were targeting "less than the cost of two Ethers" for the Ether E.  That said, you'll need some sort of 'stat amp or converter also and that's where the real cost is going to come from.

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #1,987 of 5,796
Listen to great jazz recordings and it is pretty obvious....

I'm delighted by how well favorite jazz recordings are sounding with my C Flows, from Dexter Gordon's "Go" (1962) to Rudresh Mahanthappa and Bunky Green's "Apex" (2010). I'm loving especially how double bass becomes so present, as in François Moutin's solos in "Apex." Thank you for nailing it for us jazz fans with this great headphone design!

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,988 of 5,796
Is an Ether Open convertible to a Closed model?  If not, what made people choose one over the other.  Most impressions to be of the open variety?  What strengths does each one have over the other?

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #1,990 of 5,796
  Is an Ether Open convertible to a Closed model?  If not, what made people choose one over the other.  Most impressions to be of the open variety?  What strengths does each one have over the other?

It is not convertible in the sense that you can do it yourself. When you let MrSpeakers upgrade your (Original) Ether of Ether C they can convert it to open or closed Ether Flow. The strengths of one over the other is dicussed in various topics on this forum. Head to head comparison of the Ether Flow vs C Clow can not be found that much since these are brand new.

Scanspeakman

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #1,991 of 5,796
Just got a reply from Mark at Electromod (UK dealer) and he said they will be on their way to him within 2 weeks! Not long now :gs1000smile:

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #1,993 of 5,796
I am repurchasing an ether c on Thursday---never should have sold it. Anyway I plan to wait until the upgrade queue dies down . So regardless of open or closed, is the open ether flow the definitive better headphone over the ether c flow? I no longer need a closed can so I am open to either whichever has better sq.

I had Ether and Ether C and now open Ether Flow. The Flow is noticeably better than both previous models.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #1,995 of 5,796
  Care to expand on your opinion? What do you like about the Flow better than the Ether/Ether C?

Mentioned a few times previously but here's a summary. 

Better clarity and detail than both Ethers. Slightly better soundstage (every direction) than both Ethers. Better mid-bass than Ether C. Better deep bass than Ether. Keeps the emotional connection I enjoyed about the Ether. Ether can sometimes be considered veiled (it's just a thicker body of sound but because of the slightly less detail retrieval, it's generalized as veiled) when taking on HD800 or HE1000 but Ether Flow removes this so-called veil (retrieves a LOT of details) while maintaining a realistic and not insignificant amount of body to the sound. Excellent dynamics. 

Sold my HE-1000 and now enjoying the Flows. HD-800s relegated to secondary system duty. 

Note: I am not using the DUM cable even though it's probably good aftermarket quality unlike most stock cables (ahem HD800, HE1000). I am using a Norne Solv cable which is a silver/copper hybrid (not SPC). Awesome combination with the Ether and now Ether Flow. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back