MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Sep 6, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,967 of 5,796
  I'd still like to know how the C Flow compares to C 1.1 in frequency response. More bass thats been established. Less treble? how much so? like is it neutral or warm tuning, better treble extension? 

My review is up over at AudioHead.  I talk a bit about the differences in the treble.  In short, the headphone doesn't feel as bright but I don't believe there is less treble or detail.  The FR balance feels much more natural as a result.  Basically, I agree with what Dan said. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,969 of 5,796
What didn’t you like about the Elears? TBH I didn’t care for them to much when I tried them at a meet but then again I also didn’t really care for the HD650…  

Too much bass and a little round. The upper Mids are a little resessed and the highs seem soft. I want a brighter more aggressive sound relatively speaking. I discribed my issues at length in the Elear thread, you could find the post (under my name) if you want more details.

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #1,970 of 5,796
I would like to comment on the "less treble" notion. The C Flow has a smoother treble that creates a more balanced presentation. by reducing peaks it will appear less bright if you cue off the loudest peak but if you cue off the whole instrument you will hear more treble. On the whole there is more treble in the Flow, with more resolution But the improved balance definitely makes it sound less hot. IMHO this gives a more lively high end while reducing fatigue and increasing the "natural" factor. Listen to great jazz recordings and it is pretty obvious....

I've been reading comments about burn in.  Do you have a recommended burn in time for the Flows, or do you not substantiate a difference in sq with extended playing time?  Thanks!

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,971 of 5,796
My review is up over at AudioHead.  I talk a bit about the differences in the treble.  In short, the headphone doesn't feel as bright but I don't believe there is less treble or detail.  The FR balance feels much more natural as a result.  Basically, I agree with what Dan said. 

Thank you for your great review!

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #1,972 of 5,796
I've been reading comments about burn in.  Do you have a recommended burn in time for the Flows, or do you not substantiate a difference in sq with extended playing time?  Thanks!

The v-planar driver needs burn-in. You can read Dan's comment on his driver here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/777735/mrspeakers-ether-c-review-announcement-a-new-closed-back-planar-magnetic-flagship-from-mrspeakers/1815#post_12195048

http://www.head-fi.org/t/777735/mrspeakers-ether-c-review-announcement-a-new-closed-back-planar-magnetic-flagship-from-mrspeakers/1695#post_12169428

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #1,973 of 5,796

Great review! My impressions are very much in line with what you heard. The Ether C Flow is a really great-sounding headphone that just happens to be a closed one.

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #1,974 of 5,796

Good review. Can you comment on how it sounds compared to either of the new Focals?

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #1,975 of 5,796

Ha! Was waiting for this. Great review and the comparisons to the 1.1 are helpful. 
popcorn.gif

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #1,976 of 5,796

One awsome, very informative review. I can not wait to either upgrade my existing pair or get a brand new pair. Thanks again Dan a sweet review, that has convinced me to get the ETHER. Flow and ETHER C Flow.:)

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,977 of 5,796
Thanks for the nice feedback, all.  It's appreciated.

Quote:
Good review. Can you comment on how it sounds compared to either of the new Focals?

I haven't really had a chance to compare them directly and I haven't heard the Focals for a few weeks.  I'll say that, as you might imagine, it falls in between the two Focals when it comes to technical prowess.  Even the FR seems to be in between the two, with a more balanced sound than the Elear but a darker sound than the Utopia.  

I will say that if I were to pick a price for the ECF based on the prices and performance of the Focals, I'd place it closer to the Utopia than it's currently priced.  The ECF is a great value when compared to those two... or most any headphone in the $1k+ range.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #1,978 of 5,796
  We won't be starting on the upgrades for another week or two. We are still waiting on people to ship them to us so we can start on them all at the same time. 

Puzzling. I signed up, but have not been contacted.

Are you doing upgrades in select groups?

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #1,979 of 5,796
 Even the FR seems to be in between the two, with a more balanced sound than the Elear but a darker sound than the Utopia.  

I will say that if I were to pick a price for the ECF based on the prices and performance of the Focals, I'd place it closer to the Utopia than it's currently priced.  The ECF is a great value when compared to those two... or most any headphone in the $1k+ range.

Thanks this is very helpful. Sounds like I will head toward the Utopias and will seek out a demo of the Ethers if possible. Price not being an issue, does not mean I like it lol. But I am an enabler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back