MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Sep 6, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,953 of 5,796
As I understand it, none.

I didn't pull the pad off the Ether C Flow at the Chicago meet but there is definitely  some foam under there on the ear side of the driver, felt very similar to my 1.1 pair.  Also, as noted by @MrSpeakersPeter the wrong felt was installed (1 micron vs. 5 micron) for the Chicago meet pair further supports that there is some tuning on the ear side of the driver.  

Not sure if the older Ether C and 1.1 tuning pads (2 black 1 white felt) will still fit the new driver or are recommended for it. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,956 of 5,796
I didn't pull the pad off the Ether C Flow at the Chicago meet but there is definitely  some foam under there on the ear side of the driver, felt very similar to my 1.1 pair.  Also, as noted by @MrSpeakersPeter
 the wrong felt was installed (1 micron vs. 5 micron) for the Chicago meet pair further supports that there is some tuning on the ear side of the driver.  

Not sure if the older Ether C and 1.1 tuning pads (2 black 1 white felt) will still fit the new driver or are recommended for it. 

Perhaps I misunderstood. My response dealt with the tuning pad kit that shipped with the Ether C (two black and one white felt pads). It is my understanding that MrSpeakers no longer includes these pads with the Flow models, and this implies that the Flow models are not designed to use these pads.

For those who have tested a proper Ether C Flow, what are the changes with relation to the Ether C 1.1, most notably the mid bass from 200Hz to 1kHz? Does the sound of a bass drum go up by 2db at least?

There was a post from a few weeks ago that stated that Dan claimed a 3 db increase "all the way below 140Hz."

Post was dated 8/2/2016 by Trance_Gott

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #1,957 of 5,796
Hi, I'm back from Holiday!

We no longer ship a tuning kit for the headphones. For the Flows, we don't feel this would be a good idea. Damping is very important with this design, and introducing changes can degrade performance. To ensure stabl performance over time we bought enough damping material to last us years.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 6, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #1,958 of 5,796
Hi Dan,

do you know when the first Ether C Flows arrive in germany?
Yeah 3db all below 140Hz I hope this will be my endgame closed back! I had the 2016 XC in the meantime but isolation is very bad! The older XC was better here but my Ether C 1.1 blocks outside noise a lot better.

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,959 of 5,796
Perhaps I misunderstood. My response dealt with the tuning pad kit that shipped with the Ether C (two black and one white felt pads). It is my understanding that MrSpeakers no longer includes these pads with the Flow models, and this implies that the Flow models are not designed to use these pads.
There was a post from a few weeks ago that stated that Dan claimed a 3 db increase "all the way below 140Hz."

Post was dated 8/2/2016 by Trance_Gott

Thanks so much. Time to save up by eating only ramen for a few months for that full upgrade package, repairing my Ponoplayer and after-market balanced cables. ROCK ON!

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #1,963 of 5,796
I'd still like to know how the C Flow compares to C 1.1 in frequency response. More bass thats been established. Less treble? how much so? like is it neutral or warm tuning, better treble extension? 
I would like to comment on the "less treble" notion. The C Flow has a smoother treble that creates a more balanced presentation. by reducing peaks it will appear less bright if you cue off the loudest peak but if you cue off the whole instrument you will hear more treble. On the whole there is more treble in the Flow, with more resolution But the improved balance definitely makes it sound less hot. IMHO this gives a more lively high end while reducing fatigue and increasing the "natural" factor. Listen to great jazz recordings and it is pretty obvious....

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 6, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,964 of 5,796
I am repurchasing an ether c on Thursday---never should have sold it. Anyway I plan to wait until the upgrade queue dies down . So regardless of open or closed, is the open ether flow the definitive better headphone over the ether c flow? I no longer need a closed can so I am open to either whichever has better sq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back