MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Apr 7, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #4,834 of 5,796
I'm continuing the burn in. Totally disappointed at the moment

ether series requires really long burn-in periods. Aeons really didn't change much compared to ethers. I understand your feeling, which was the same as me when I first received the original ether C while I owned hd800s. It sounded very thin initially. Eventually, I sold hd800s and kept ether c.

Still as a closed can, ether c flow falls short of sound quality compared to really good open-back headphones. And I do believe aeon open flow is better than ether c flow (I owned both of them at the same time). I can't say about ether open flow as I never heard about it.

Anyway, my ether c flow really pairs well with mcth ($250). It makes me revisit albums I really enjoyed in the past. I am not amp picky by no means, and this is my first desktop amp in my 2 year journey. I highly recommend this amp to a person who is in a similar position as me.

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #4,835 of 5,796
I'm from italy and i cant test anything....
However , i had aeon closed and open. The closed one even with filters was too neutral. The open was perfect expcept for a bit of harshness in the "sss" that were too sibilant for me.
I decided to sell aeon open when i got the monolith m1060, best planar i have ever tried (for the price) and i had many of them up to 1800eur.
I realized that i was missing details/treble, i don't know how to explain but suddenly aeon felt like it has a hole somewhere.
I decided to get the efc as an end game, because it was the only hp i had the chance to try last year and i loved it. I hope it is a matter of burn in, real burn in non the brain one.. And i hope to keep the audio gd because i don't want to buy another.
Ps what is mcth?

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #4,836 of 5,796
I'm from italy and i cant test anything....
However , i had aeon closed and open. The closed one even with filters was too neutral. The open was perfect expcept for a bit of harshness in the "sss" that were too sibilant for me.
I decided to sell aeon open when i got the monolith m1060, best planar i have ever tried (for the price) and i had many of them up to 1800eur.
I realized that i was missing details/treble, i don't know how to explain but suddenly aeon felt like it has a hole somewhere.
I decided to get the efc as an end game, because it was the only hp i had the chance to try last year and i loved it. I hope it is a matter of burn in, real burn in non the brain one.. And i hope to keep the audio gd because i don't want to buy another.
Ps what is mcth?

This
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-alex-cavalli-cth-tube-hybrid-amp

You can google it to find some reviews.

Burn in is real for ethers. But it takes really long time. Soundstage comes last in about 200 hours. I become satisfied only after months.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #4,837 of 5,796
I decided to get the efc as an end game, because it was the only hp i had the chance to try last year and i loved it. I hope it is a matter of burn in, real burn in non the brain one..

trust your ears! you loved the EFC when you were able to audition it, and you have all of us confirming that until you let them play for a lot of hours you won't hear what you heard then. so, trust yourself and it's hard but be patient. all the info you have confirms that you are on the right path and have great things in store.

for me, the Ether Flow allowed me to sell my HD800 and my LCD-3 as they no longer got any ear time. i have a pair of iems, senn IE800, which i use a bit when i desire to hear another "view"of a recording, or when i wish to not have my ears covered, but except for that these really are an end game for me as they are for so many others.

hang tough!

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #4,838 of 5,796
trust your ears! you loved the EFC when you were able to audition it, and you have all of us confirming that until you let them play for a lot of hours you won't hear what you heard then. so, trust yourself and it's hard but be patient. all the info you have confirms that you are on the right path and have great things in store.

for me, the Ether Flow allowed me to sell my HD800 and my LCD-3 as they no longer got any ear time. i have a pair of iems, senn IE800, which i use a bit when i desire to hear another "view"of a recording, or when i wish to not have my ears covered, but except for that these really are an end game for me as they are for so many others.

hang tough!

okok... i'll be patient.
the cavalli amp was tempting, but i have never had problems with my audio gd, i hope is not a matter of amp :frowning2:

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #4,840 of 5,796
I think if you don't like C flows sound now, some additional hours change nothing. For me they sound quiet good out of the box.
To my ears they sound clean, neutral and realistic.

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #4,841 of 5,796
Has anyone else tried ZMF earpads on their Ether Flow.

For the record, I just tried the ZMF Ori lambskin perforated pads with the Ether C Flows because I just remembered I had them and figured why not.

I found the combination to be a non-starter and I wouldn't recommend bothering even as an experiment. The midrange was I guess relatively unaffected but everything generally sounded distant, attenuated, and a little "tinny". Bass was especially attenuated, but not the sub-bass so much, which overall made for a weird sound signature. Also, the ZMF pads are quite hard and exaggerates the feeling of the clamping force, though presumably that gets better after they break in. Anyway, I took them off after 5 minutes.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #4,843 of 5,796
Intéresting, the lambskin version without perforation improves comfort for my ears and don't change the sound.
I have the same pads as you but I find the extra clamping force to be a little uncomfortable. I also notice they really darked the sound, not unpleasant but slightly off. How I'm using my pads off alfa prime. Big pillowy comfort, good sound stage and improved bass.

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #4,844 of 5,796
Just got Alpha Primes in great condition and they are very awesome. I'll think I'll stick with Mrspeakers for my next purchase. How is the Ether C in comparison?

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #4,845 of 5,796
I have the same pads as you but I find the extra clamping force to be a little uncomfortable. I also notice they really darked the sound, not unpleasant but slightly off. How I'm using my pads off alfa prime. Big pillowy comfort, good sound stage and improved bass.

I don't 'notice darker sounding.. i will check it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back