MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Aug 25, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #4,516 of 5,796
Going for Forza, and the same time a balanced option, is the pigtail worsen the sound?

No, I've used pigtails before and I can't hear any sound degradation on these cables.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #4,517 of 5,796
It's impossible to produce a headphone that is both revealing and yet capable of masking bad recordings. Revealing = revealing the good, and the bad.
I've heard the Ether flow today, and really like it. Albeit tried only one track of Diana Krall. I compared with another headphone, and it sounds very revealing. The other headphone I could tell the definition wasn't there, but the ether I hear greater depth and details in the sound. I feel like I hear more from it, and therefore sound realistic or was transparent to the recording. It maybe the best I've heard yet, or fit my preference very well.

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #4,518 of 5,796
I've heard the Ether flow today, and really like it. Albeit tried only one track of Diana Krall. I compared with another headphone, and it sounds very revealing. The other headphone I could tell the definition wasn't there, but the ether I hear greater depth and details in the sound. I feel like I hear more from it, and therefore sound realistic or was transparent to the recording. It maybe the best I've heard yet, or fit my preference very well.

the Flow C isn't so différent. For me, they Sound very closed. That's why i'm very surprised by people who very like one and didn't like the second.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #4,519 of 5,796
Right, Ether flow seemed more closed than open even with the vent. I guess the vent has smaller pores than what you'd find on openbacks like the Sennheisers.

I haven't heard the Flow C myself, but heard the Aeon, and it was pretty impressive feat for being closed back. It was very clear sounding. So, I don't doubt Mr Speakers closed backs arn't what I'd expect of closedbacks.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #4,520 of 5,796
Lurker here :)
I've heard the original Ether C and wasn't too impressed if I'm honest - wasn't "bad" just a bit tame for my tastes, but I'm curious if the flow version might be better suited to my tastes. I listen to quite a lot of metal and acoustic music, and have really liked fostex TH600 and 900, but I just started at university and need something that I can use there - and the fostex aren't exactly quiet... My main issue with the original ether C was a lack of low end and presence/slam in general, it just seemed very laid back compared to fx. the fostex and other dynamics. Can anyone advice me on whether the flow version might be better or if there is another properly closed can I've missed?

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #4,521 of 5,796
hi,
The c flow are not so different from the original, its a different sound philosophy that fostex, maybe the blackwood by ZMF headphones it's a good choice for your needs.

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #4,522 of 5,796
hi,
The c flow are not so different from the original, its a different sound philosophy that fostex, maybe the blackwood by ZMF headphones it's a good choice for your needs.
Darn, ZMF sounded decent, but not particularly impressive to me - as far as fostex-mods go, the Alpha Prime is the best I've heard - but if I'm honest I'm also hoping to find something that doesn't look too doofy... Big is fine, thus the ether, and the Alpha Prime isn't too bad, but some things like the ZMF Eikon look beautiful in pictures, but not so much on a head... I might just have to give the ethers a shot if I get the chance, I know I liked the original open ethers on a Cavalli amp, but then again I like just about any neutral headphone on a Cavalli amp :)
I use an AK player, so there is decent room to play with EQ'ing.

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #4,524 of 5,796
and the LCD XC from Audeze?
I sadly don't have a chance to hear it again - I heard it for a brief bit in a store, and found it, to be blunt, pretty terrible, so I prioritized listening to other things (went there for a chance to hear Utopia)... I found the LCD-X enjoyable, but heavily lacking in detail - I have a weird love/hate relationship with Audeze.
I just came across the Denon D7200, and saw someone mention its better than the original D7000 which I loved, but at the same time isolates even more than the formidable Ether C - could be a good solution! Though Denons past blunder with the 7100 still has me a bit worried about that "free edge" driver...
Ether C Flow vs AH-D7200 I suppose :p

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #4,525 of 5,796
and the LCD XC from Audeze?
I owned the LCD-XC before the ETHER C. The C is just as revealing if not moreso. And with the upgrade to Flow it is way more forgiving and better bass to boot. Adding in far better comfort from much lighter weight and there isn't much of a comparison. Note that I am not a Audeze disser, the original LCD-2 is still one of my favorites. But I could never really get used to the XC.

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #4,526 of 5,796
Lurker here :)
I've heard the original Ether C and wasn't too impressed if I'm honest - wasn't "bad" just a bit tame for my tastes, but I'm curious if the flow version might be better suited to my tastes. I listen to quite a lot of metal and acoustic music, and have really liked fostex TH600 and 900, but I just started at university and need something that I can use there - and the fostex aren't exactly quiet... My main issue with the original ether C was a lack of low end and presence/slam in general, it just seemed very laid back compared to fx. the fostex and other dynamics. Can anyone advice me on whether the flow version might be better or if there is another properly closed can I've missed?

I tried the Ether C and Aeon and I had the same issues with it as you. I now own an Ether Flow (open back) and it addressed all my concerns. If you can live with a little sound leakage, the Ether Flow (open back) gets my vote. Like another person just pointed out. The open version sounds pretty closed still, nothing like any of the Sennheiser open backs I own.

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #4,527 of 5,796
I tried the Ether C and Aeon and I had the same issues with it as you. I now own an Ether Flow (open back) and it addressed all my concerns. If you can live with a little sound leakage, the Ether Flow (open back) gets my vote. Like another person just pointed out. The open version sounds pretty closed still, nothing like any of the Sennheiser open backs I own.
Its for use at a university, so leakage is absolutely a no-go. Them sounding pretty closed is a bit of a worry though - I love soundstage.

Sep 6, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #4,528 of 5,796
Going for Forza, and the same time a balanced option, is the pigtail worsen the sound?

Pigtails are fine. An audio purist would argue having an extra connector will degrade the sound, but especially with a quality XLR as the connection you should be just fine. I use these myself, as some of my cables are really expensive and having a 1/4, 3.5 and XLR would be prohibitive.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 7, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #4,529 of 5,796
i am awaiting a demo ether flow from electromod uk. my new chord mojo is also waiting to be picked up. very confident in expected SQ fingers crossed for comfort. i find it difficult to find headphones that disappear on my head. will update exciting stuff. any impressions on mojo/ether flow greatly received.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back