MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
May 29, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #4,381 of 5,796
If anyone here has owned both, I'm curious about upgrading my Ether's to Ether flows, and I'm kind of curious about the difference between the Essential and Complete upgrade package, and I'm curious just how much the sound signature changes depending on the upgrade package. I'd love to open the sound stage some, but I don't want the sound sig to become brighter. (Actually, I'd love the opposite)
Would the Flow upgrade be a good change for me?

May 29, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #4,382 of 5,796
I doubt it. I upgraded my ETHER to FLOW status and now have them for sale. I did not find the upgrade SQ difference to be truly significant. I did the Essential upgrade since I already had the angled pads and liked the red cups better than the blue cups. If you want a warmer sound you might try the angled pads first.

May 30, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #4,383 of 5,796
Suggest you specify budget and if it must be desktop, mobile or either...
Hi Dan, My budget is under 1k and it must be balanced and desktop setup preferably dac/amp combo instead of separates. appreciate your help on this and I know you must have quite an extensive experience on quite a lot of amp/dac with Ether C Flow so probably will give the best options. Thanks again and looking forward to some recomendation.

I really appreciate your work on Ether C Flows after a month of listening, I sold my Audeze EL-8C, my Focals Elear are collecting dust and I never touch my Shure SE846. they were my daily drivers until my LHLabs died.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #4,385 of 5,796
Hi Dan, My budget is under 1k and it must be balanced and desktop setup preferably dac/amp combo instead of separates. appreciate your help on this and I know you must have quite an extensive experience on quite a lot of amp/dac with Ether C Flow so probably will give the best options. Thanks again and looking forward to some recomendation.

I really appreciate your work on Ether C Flows after a month of listening, I sold my Audeze EL-8C, my Focals Elear are collecting dust and I never touch my Shure SE846. they were my daily drivers until my LHLabs died.

For a balanced DAC/AMP combo that works well with ETHER consider Jot w/dac from Schiit. There is a an amazing price/performance with the Jot. Great speed and dynamics with good clean punchy bass.

Jun 2, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #4,386 of 5,796
I'm loving my Ether C Flow. I do find them a little bright (I'm sensitive to treble) so have been boosting the lower frequencies a couple of db and dropping the treble at 6.5k by a couple of db. Otherwise great!

Jun 2, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #4,387 of 5,796
In the little "manual" you get with the Ether Flow there's the recommendation to treat the leather pads with some oil.
In what regularity would you think treating the pads with oil is recommend?

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #4,389 of 5,796

For a balanced DAC/AMP combo that works well with ETHER consider Jot w/dac from Schiit. There is a an amazing price/performance with the Jot. Great speed and dynamics with good clean punchy bass.

x2, that was what I would add.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 5, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #4,390 of 5,796
In the little "manual" you get with the Ether Flow there's the recommendation to treat the leather pads with some oil.
In what regularity would you think treating the pads with oil is recommend?

Generally we recommend leather conditioner, I prefer the natural-base ones like Leather Honey or Beesbutter. A tiny bit does the job.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #4,391 of 5,796
I'm loving the Ether's with the Violectric V200! They're incredible! I went to the LA Audio Show recently, and after testing HEK V2s, I didn't feel I was missing out at all.
I recently tried the electrostat pads, and the difference is noticeable. There's significantly more slam to the bass, snare has more impact, and the vocals are even closer than they were before. The stage "seems" just a bit larger, but I'm noticing that plosives are kind of harsh now, where they weren't before, and almost sound a tad distorted. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jun 6, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #4,393 of 5,796
I'm loving the Ether's with the Violectric V200! They're incredible! I went to the LA Audio Show recently, and after testing HEK V2s, I didn't feel I was missing out at all.
I recently tried the electrostat pads, and the difference is noticeable. There's significantly more slam to the bass, snare has more impact, and the vocals are even closer than they were before. The stage "seems" just a bit larger, but I'm noticing that plosives are kind of harsh now, where they weren't before, and almost sound a tad distorted. Has anyone else experienced this?
I just recently went back to the stock angled pads. I really appreciated the expanded soundstage with the electrostat pads, but I did find the overall sound becomes much more treble-centric. I found it to be a little too fatiguing for me. Maybe not harsh or distorted, but definitely not natural sounding to my ears. I hadn't really noticed plosives specifically, but I would not be surprised by your findings. This is listening through an LC, which is a slightly warmer amp. IMO

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #4,394 of 5,796
Thanks
How about the audeze leather conditioner? Anybody experience with these?
That's what I use, and it works fine! No residue to the touch once it's absorbed.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #4,395 of 5,796
If you are using the stat pads and find it a bit bright move the headphone forward a bit. Because the ear cavity is bigger than the driver it's position sensitive.

When I use these I position the phones so my ear lightly touches the back of the pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back