MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Feb 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,796 of 5,796
Have you tried contacting MrSpeakers directly? They're very responsive and helpful. If anything is wrong with your headphones, I am confident that they will take care of you.

I may have to take that route, I would hate to sell them and have someone else end up in my situation.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,797 of 5,796
    I just got an Ether C Flow a few days ago. It was a used set that had just been serviced by MrSpeakers prior to my purchase of it (it had a defective bass port, apparently). I must say that I am quite disappointed. They sound distant, muffled and noticably lack dynamics and imaging. Plus there is an abrasive haze that comes in at higher volumes.

All of my past headphones (most of which were also closed) had superior sound to some degree, and I was expecting a plausible sound upgrade from my alpha primes (that I love). These seem like a downgrade.

Is it possible that I have a broken/defective pair??

I am heartbroken to say the least, especially after the money spent.

Hi Nick, by all means drop a note to info@mrspeakers.com and we'll help you out.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 13, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #3,798 of 5,796
FYI, the upgrade program is moving really well, so we've made the upgrade purchase visible on the store, you can now upgrade without a wait.  Turnaround time is approximately 2 weeks.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 13, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3,799 of 5,796
  FYI, the upgrade program is moving really well, so we've made the upgrade purchase visible on the store, you can now upgrade without a wait.  Turnaround time is approximately 2 weeks.

Great news. I'm at one week and counting.... 

After I get my upgrade back, it will be time to start saving for the AEON. This hobby never ends...

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #3,802 of 5,796
    I just got an Ether C Flow a few days ago. It was a used set that had just been serviced by MrSpeakers prior to my purchase of it (it had a defective bass port, apparently). I must say that I am quite disappointed. They sound distant, muffled and noticably lack dynamics and imaging. Plus there is an abrasive haze that comes in at higher volumes.

All of my past headphones (most of which were also closed) had superior sound to some degree, and I was expecting a plausible sound upgrade from my alpha primes (that I love). These seem like a downgrade.

Could well be defective. Of course everyone will have their own impressions, but I owned this sequence: Audeze LCD-XC -> Alpha Prime -> ETHER C -> ETHER C Flow and I felt each was an improvement over the previous 'phone, and the Flow only has a few hours on them. Many folks here said they have a break-in.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #3,803 of 5,796
Could well be defective. Of course everyone will have their own impressions, but I owned this sequence: Audeze LCD-XC -> Alpha Prime -> ETHER C -> ETHER C Flow and I felt each was an improvement over the previous 'phone, and the Flow only has a few hours on them. Many folks here said they have a break-in.

I listened earlier when I was at the store and I didn't hear anything that you mentioned when it came to defects of the Ether c flow... I will say that after a long time from listening to the Primes I was amazed with how well they held the rest of time.... the price/performance on that is excellent. I was hearing the flow being slightly wider in soundstage then the prime and therefore hearing the detail of the notes easier. The flow also was faster then the prime during really tough passages of music ("romantic warrior" by Return to Forever to be exact). I felt like tonally there is a difference between the 2 but not enough time for me to be able to put it into words.... both definitely from the same family! The A/B was done on a Questyle 800i. Easy to do the A/B with that amp/DAC. Tried to volume match the best of my ability.

Good luck to you if there is an issue

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #3,804 of 5,796

I had gotten mine through the upgrade process(two upgrades on the same headphone). Initially it was Mad Dog Pro, then upgraded to Alpha Dogs, then to Alpha Prime once the A.P. upgrade option became available around july/august.

Each headphone in the line was indeed better and better, and excellent for the money.

The Alpha Primes are wonderful; after upgrading to an ifi amp, I figured it was a great time to upgrade the headphone as well. With the number of headphones I have heard in the past 3 years, my ECF is the only one my ears do not agree with. 

I have much respect for Dan and company..maybe I should go with the open Ether Flows..we'll see.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #3,805 of 5,796
I respectfully suggest that you sign up to audition a Kenzie amp from Ampsandsound before you give up on the ECFs... Dan  sells the amp as well and Justin is offering a one week home audition on it. I believe you will love the amp and your ECF's! They are magical together...

Doug

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #3,806 of 5,796

I own both Alpha Primes and C Flows. I've listened to both extensively with Schiit Asgard 2, Schiit Jotunheim, and Cavalli Liquid Carbon amps. With any of those amps, I find the C Flows more accurate, faster on transients, more balanced across the whole frequency range, and less fatiguing. You should check with MrSpeakers, what you describe should not be happening unless there's a defect or a bad mismatch between amp and headphones.

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #3,807 of 5,796
  I own both Alpha Primes and C Flows. I've listened to both extensively with Schiit Asgard 2, Schiit Jotunheim, and Cavalli Liquid Carbon amps. With any of those amps, I find the C Flows more accurate, faster on transients, more balanced across the whole frequency range, and less fatiguing. You should check with MrSpeakers, what you describe should not be happening unless there's a defect or a bad mismatch between amp and headphones.

I had tried them on my Origen+ and on my main desktop setup of iCan SE/Modi 2U. No difference or improvement in sound was noted.

I have no intention of upgrading the iCan SE as I prefer solid state to tubes anyways, and the SE has plenty of power on tap. The C Flows weren't insanely hard to drive, just slightly harder to push than my Mayflower V1. If they are that picky about amping, then I might need to look at other headphones.

The C Flows will be off to the post office tomorrow for a courtesy check (thanks again, Dan). Was gonna send them off today, but had car repair that took priority.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #3,809 of 5,796
So for those of you who own the Ether C V1.1 and made the jump -- any regrets or still happy now that it's been some time.

I have had my ECF for about 3 months now, previously own EC. Couldn't be happier abt the upgrade. Mostly noticeable are the resolution, bass presence, soundstage and more smooth highs. It has a very musical and high end sound to my ears.

[Pulse infinity->Liquid Carbon->wyires red cable]

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #3,810 of 5,796
Just wanted to post this regarding the Ether Flow Open.
My system is in my signature. I have at least 150 hours burn in with them.
I'm listening as I type this and the system is really producing "goose bump" moments.
The instruments are been reproduced so accurately and the music is really flowing. I can listen for hours without fati:Dgue
It so far hasn't failed to put a smile on my face.
This is in context to me listening to my main stereo rig in its current configuration for 2 years with many 100's hours passed. I have a Chord DSX1000 as my source.
The headphone rig is certainly a similar experience to my ears. Is it better, I don't really know but it's bloody good.
The Flows are so comfortable and I really cannot believe the sound been produced. If possible you should demo them if you can biggrin.gif
Maybe the biggest complement I can give them is that I really need to go downstairs and eat something but I am really struggling to take them off and stop listening, lol.

All the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back