MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jul 15, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #151 of 5,796
  loyal customer discount
wink.gif
???maybe??? Maybe not
redface.gif
... thatd be cool. 

I'm not sure I'd call it a "discount," just "giving us less product for less money."   
biggrin.gif

I totally understand making the DUM cable standard, if that both makes the hp sound better and simplifies their product line. 

But many of their customers just won't need it, and would appreciate the option not to pay for it.

A standard DUM cable is $200. I think $100 off the price of the Flow for no cable would be reasonable.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #152 of 5,796
mmm.....reiterating my question: with the Flow upgrade for existing ether and ether c owners, what will be the effect on the product warranty? In my case, both Ethers are still within the warranty period.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #153 of 5,796
  mmm.....reiterating my question: with the Flow upgrade for existing ether and ether c owners, what will be the effect on the product warranty? In my case, both Ethers are still within the warranty period.

Please wait for the full program details, it will all be covered.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 15, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #154 of 5,796
  mmm......@Stillhart , since you've listened to both and without looking at the price tag and based on their overall SQ performance alone, which do you prefer: Focal Utopia or the Ether Flow? Why? TIA.

snip

Good question!  They're both really good headphones and I think preference might come down to slight flavor differences for many people.  For me, price aside, I think I prefer the Utopia still.  It's just insanely clean and resolving in a way that's hard to match in anything that's not a stat.  I know people don't believe the hype, but I genuinely love that headphone.  

That said, if I were to consider price, the Ether Flow is not very far behind the Utopia and it costs less than half.  Its price/performance ratio is staggering.  That's a really impressive accomplishment.

If these are "Inspired by Electostatic Headphones" I would like a comparison of the Flow with the ETHER E.

Actually, the Ether Flow is pretty close to the Ether E tonally.  It's very clear that Dan took inspiration from the Ether E to tune the new Ether Flow.  The biggest difference is going to be that 'stat speed and detail that a planar can't match.  I think the Ether E beats the Utopia in SQ/performance, and it's still just a prototype.  (That's a tough comparison to make as it'll never be apples to apples with different amps.)

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #155 of 5,796
Good question!  They're both really good headphones and I think preference might come down to slight flavor differences for many people.  For me, price aside, I think I prefer the Utopia still.  It's just insanely clean and resolving in a way that's hard to match in anything that's not a stat.  I know people don't believe the hype, but I genuinely love that headphone.  

That said, if I were to consider price, the Ether Flow is not very far behind the Utopia and it costs less than half.  Its price/performance ratio is staggering.  That's a really impressive accomplishment.

Very helpful for me too. Besides clarity, what is the largest tonality difference between the two? Bass? Mids?

:beerchug:

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #157 of 5,796

Yep, but in the small print I think it says only if DOA. Have you returned items to Minidics before? I may have read that wrong, but didn't buy from there anyway so still stuffed! I will get over it in a day or so, just disappointing that I could have waited a few days and ordered the new improved version instead, but then, I may have preferred the current version for my tastes anyway as was looking for something with detail/clarity. My timing always sucks. Bought the AK jnr before the price dropped 200 bucks here. Think it's time to stop buying stuff and enjoy what I have already. 

Pretty sure you can return stuff - I returned my SE846 originally because of fit issues. Months later I realised it was the cable causing the issue.

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #158 of 5,796
Very helpful for me too. Besides clarity, what is the largest tonality difference between the two? Bass? Mids?

beerchug.gif

From memory, I believe the Utopia has a bit less bass, giving it a cleaner, more "reference" sound.  The Ether Flow has a bit more bass, giving it a thicker, more "fun" sound.  Not a huge difference, btw, I'm definitely nitpicking.  

(And please keep in mind this is from memory... I haven't heard the Utopia in a few weeks at this point.  I'll give them another comparison on Saturday at the meet, as will many others I'm sure.)

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #159 of 5,796
Its nice to accept and adapt to new technology but doing so you must give credit to prior work.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/1620#post_11275121
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/1875#post_11721901

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #160 of 5,796
Hey there,

I was saving up for an Ether C, but now after reading the first impressions here, I am not so certain that the Flow C is the way to go...
I remember Comparisons between Ether C and Ether where People were really impressed by the open sound of the Ether C, coming to the conclusion that the Ether C did manage to improve bass and of course isolation with very little trade offs in Soundstage and clarity. I am paraphrasing from memory and may be biased pro closed cans, so there is that.
I am questioning my preference here, since it seems like the open Ether flow seems to get most of the attention and praise.
I read that the Ether C had improvements allready over the open models which where implemented in the open Flow model now. So it seems logical that the step up appears to be bigger.
But for those of you who can compare the two new models, would you say that the improvements in the Flow line scale better in case of the open model? Is the gap in open sound and Soundstage higher in favor of the open model or comparable to the both 'old models' ?

I quess I am interested in a more detailed comparison of the two flow models...Maybe with a close ear at the bass too... Just so stoked.

Cheers

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #161 of 5,796
do you pair it with Gumby? I can't demo any Schiit gear as there's no distributor where I live and will have to buy it blind, thanks for the reassurance that they work well together, what tubes are you running on the mj2?

Yes I have Gungnir MB as source. Regarding whether Flow is brighter than original Ether...not to my ears. I would say that Flow certainly resolves better and has the "ability" to give more treble (think classical music with violin) but the original sounds brighter to me, thinner. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #163 of 5,796
  Its nice to accept and adapt to new technology but doing so you must give credit to prior work.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/1620#post_11275121
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/1875#post_11721901

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #165 of 5,796

Actually, the Ether Flow is pretty close to the Ether E tonally.  It's very clear that Dan took inspiration from the Ether E to tune the new Ether Flow.  The biggest difference is going to be that 'stat speed and detail that a planar can't match.  I think the Ether E beats the Utopia in SQ/performance, and it's still just a prototype.  (That's a tough comparison to make as it'll never be apples to apples with different amps.)

mmmm.......so, Ether E > Focal Utopia  > Ether Flow > HD 800 S, on SQ alone. Thanks! Another headphone (Ether E) to await! My wallet is definitely unhappy but I'm happy that summit-fi is as lively as ever as the rest of the market and the new entrants are redefining the rankings. Out with the old, in with the new. Exciting times.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back