MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Dec 1, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #616 of 744
Here's what I got from the DCA support today:

The tuning filters go like this:

White heaviest on 1khrz 1-4 less bright with this filter

Black felt 1/2 db less bright

Black foam 1.5db less bright

From what I heard until now, I like them very much.

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #617 of 744
Anyone tried other pads or is everyone happy with the stock pads? I swapped to ZMF vérité pads and like what they bring. The stock pads push a bit to hard on the sides of my head above the eyes. Since it's useless to bend the headband I had to find some other way to improve the comfort a bit. The ether flow pads are worse for me, the vérité pads are quite pleasant.

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #619 of 744
How's the impact on the sound?
Vérité pads are a bit bigger then the OG pads. Diameter, depth and ear opening. The soundstage is just a bit bigger and everything sounds a bit more distant. Due to the other type of opening the pad has more surface which helps in distributing the weight/clamp better (YMMV). Vérité pads are also real leather which helps with sweat/heat build-up and again YMMV.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #620 of 744
While I was browsing through my stack-o-pads I found another pair that hit the nail on the head: Dekoni sheepskin pads for Fostex TH-900. These are about the same size as the CX, slightly tapered for an increased soundstage. They add a bit bass presence (a sheepskin quality). Knowing how well these fit (and feel excellent) I imagine that the hybrid pads will also be a good fit. Sheepskin pads do offer better isolation then the hybrid pads do.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #622 of 744
While I was browsing through my stack-o-pads I found another pair that hit the nail on the head: Dekoni sheepskin pads for Fostex TH-900. These are about the same size as the CX, slightly tapered for an increased soundstage. They add a bit bass presence (a sheepskin quality). Knowing how well these fit (and feel excellent) I imagine that the hybrid pads will also be a good fit. Sheepskin pads do offer better isolation then the hybrid pads do.

I'll give them a chance I think.
Is there any noticable impact on mids/highs? A tad more bass is welcome :)

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #625 of 744
I've been enjoying my CX for a few weeks now.
My impression is also "does this sound right?" coming from 6XX and Sundara.
They sound great, but there is some kind of weirdness to them.
I also understand why some people say they sound boring and flat, but I still like them... I think?
I really want a good pair of closed backs, ideally planars, and these should fit right in, plus I bought them used for 650 CAD :beyersmile:

I've been experimenting with pads and I think I'll settle (for a while at least) with sheepskin pads for Denon headphones from Aliexpress.
They fit really well, are comfortable and have a smaller cavity like the originals, which makes the installation of the dampening filters just as convenient.
More importantly, they give a bit of a bass boost (still pretty neutral) and I think it makes the CX not boring anymore.
Plus, they are super cheap!

I bought these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33040658281.html
They seem to be the same and are extremely cheap at the moment: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001853763568.html

They are worth a try!
I'd be curious to hear other opinions on how they affect the CX's sound and if someone feels they negatively affect the sound. I don't feel super competent at evaluating fairly subtle changes in sonic performance.
I got these in. Compared to the Dekoni TH-900 pads these are just a bit thicker, making the sound a bit more distant. Main difference is the (sub)bass which is way more present with the Dekoni pads. Clamp force is slightly increased compared to the (worn in) Dekoni's. I like both, the Dekoni's get the upperhand for me. These pads are ofc a fraction of the cost. Recommended!

I ditched the filters btw. No longer feel these need the filters.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #627 of 744
I got these in. Compared to the Dekoni TH-900 pads these are just a bit thicker, making the sound a bit more distant. Main difference is the (sub)bass which is way more present with the Dekoni pads. Clamp force is slightly increased compared to the (worn in) Dekoni's. I like both, the Dekoni's get the upperhand for me. These pads are ofc a fraction of the cost. Recommended!

I ditched the filters btw. No longer feel these need the filters.
Thanks for the comparison! I was curious about the Dekoni TH pads. I find the bass a bit too strong (but better than stock) with these Aliexpress pads, so I guess the Dekoni pads wouldn't be for me.
I agree that the filters aren't really needed with many aftermarket pads (those that boost the bass).

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #628 of 744
Thanks for the comparison! I was curious about the Dekoni TH pads. I find the bass a bit too strong (but better than stock) with these Aliexpress pads, so I guess the Dekoni pads wouldn't be for me.
I agree that the filters aren't really needed with many aftermarket pads (those that boost the bass).
The dekoni's add sub-bass mostly. I didn't know the CX could produce a proper thump before I tried the dekoni pads. For me both sound, enjoyment and comfort is better with the dekoni pads.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #629 of 744
Been enjoying the CX for a while, but I'm itching to try out the new Aeon Noires. How do they sound compared to the CX?
I have only heard the noires for a brief time. Struggled too much with the clamp and sent them back. When I got my Ether c flow 1.1 instead I did have the feeling it was a step up from the noires. The CX and c flow 1.1 are extremely close relatives.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #630 of 744
Been enjoying the CX for a while, but I'm itching to try out the new Aeon Noires. How do they sound compared to the CX?
I own both and this is just my experience/opinion: The Ether CX are like studio monitors and Dan mentioned it earlier in this CX forum that he developed it with focus on vocals. The CX to me sounds fantastic with vocal recordings and they will distinguish between good and bad recordings. The Noires are tuned more toward the Harman curve which I prefer in most listening. Both have excellent light comfort but the Noire can't be beat with the portability and collapsible headband.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back