MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Oct 1, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #603 of 744
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #604 of 744
Make sure you burn them in first! People have opinions about burn in with other cans, but Ether CX really actually does need it. Only set I own that actually changed sound imo
Yep. I saw a statement from MrSpeakers saying that it needs them, but I was already planning on it anyways. + coming from the T1.3 I need to get adjusted to the sound first, but I do already love it out of the box :)

Also if the used set you are acquiring does not come with the tuning pads you can order a set from Dan Clark Audio:
https://danclarkaudio.com/accessories/tuning.html
My used set does come with it! I was surprised there was even a tuning set, but my seller was able to keep it in the box for me, very nice guy. I may experiment with that if after burn in, if I'm still not completely satisfied with the sound. But I do love what I'm hearing. It's already sounding clearer than when I got it yesterday.

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #605 of 744
How is the T1's resolution compared to the CX? Imaging?
I honestly can't quite make out what I find different about it... I think it's more dependent on the genre and the date of recording and mastering of the track. With my small sample size, I find that more modern (particular pop and hip-hop) recordings are more well defined on the CXs, but part of that has to do with how bass heavy the T1s are in comparison... the bass can be overpowering in these recordings that emphasis the bass a lot more, and fail to master the whole track properly (TWICE's The Feels & Pi'erre Bourne's Butterfly were my initial tests)

On the contrary, the Ether CXs with rock music feel lifeless in comparison to the T1... that extra bass from the T1s really come into effect and make the band's performance that much more convincing. The percussion and bass hit very hard down low on the T1s, and the guitars roar with a grunt that the genre demands. The Ether CXs more analytical approach does make each instrument more defined maybe, but actually picturing the band performing in the studio is a lot more easy when listening with the T1.3s (Sonic Youth's Teen Age Riot)

But the Ether CXs need more time, and apparently respond very well to EQ. The T1.3s, from my tests, don't quite respond as well to EQ, so I'm stuck with what comes from Beyer (which I do love, but have started to notice more flaws regarding distortion in the vocals when there is a strong bass line involved, and I can't balance between having that incredible bass response and having no upper frequency distortion, very annoying) gives me out of the box. We will see where both headphones end up over time for me. :)

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #607 of 744
Hi together.

I received a pair of used Ether CX today without tuning pads.
The seller already bought them like this.

So first question:
What tuning pads should I find in which order to be sure to have a "stock" tuning?

Btw: They sound great - my LCD XC will have to go :sweat_smile:

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #608 of 744
Hi together.

So first question:
What tuning pads should I find in which order to be sure to have a "stock" tuning?

Hi. I cann't recommend any tuning pads for Ether CX as I have Ether C Flow 1.1 but could you please write what you like more in CX over LCD-XC ? :)

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #609 of 744
I did not (and will not) do in depth comparisons.

The LCD-XC (mine being from 2016) is a technically great headphone,
yet they're simply not tuned for extreme Metal - at least not for me.
I made some EQ experiments with success, but I do not have an EQ
available in all situations. If I tune them not to stress me when listening
to Death Metal, they loose what makes them shine with other music.
Also I can't keep to many cans here :sweat_smile:

The Ether CX is fun listening to distorted guitars!
That's my main point here. The CX sounds pleasant with all records I tried today.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #611 of 744
Hi together.

So first question:

I got mine during one of the early Drop releases (Mine says MassDrop on it. I think that’s such a better name for the company). My Cx came with the thin black foam insert installed when I received them. This insert had only a very minor effect on the sound.

I listen primarily to metal and use the double notch white felt. You can get those directly from DCA as part of the insert pack for the ETHER C flow I believe.

I prefer the white felt insert for most music as I find the Cx very mids forward and already very detailed in the treble. The white felt adds a bit of warmth and blunts the treble and upper mids slightly. On very well recorded music or some electronic music I listen without the insert. However for metal I definitely want the inserts to smooth over any treble sibilance etc.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #612 of 744
I checked ans there are a white AND a black pad inside 🤔

I'll just give it some more listening time ...
Pads are a bit flat for me, my ears touch the felt pads.

So I'd need angled pads and a tuning kit, another 130€ gone... 😇

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #613 of 744
I checked ans there are a white AND a black pad inside 🤔

I'll just give it some more listening time ...
Pads are a bit flat for me, my ears touch the felt pads.

So I'd need angled pads and a tuning kit, another 130€ gone... 😇
No need to drop that kind of money - I purchased some 105mm wide x 35mm thick sheepskin pads from ebay that work perfectly - at about $20. I also have an angled pad at about the same price coming in from Aliexpress - I will report on how that one works.

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #615 of 744
Hi together.

So first question:

Ether C tuning pads from DCA will be perfect.

I have the CX and find that a little bit of dampening is required due to what seems to me a peak somewhere in the upper mids / lower treble. But just don’t be too aggressive in dampening as it will blunt the sound a bit as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back