MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #586 of 744
I think I've found a great match for the CX : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000749219014.html
Thick sheepskin pads with an opening that matches really well with the felt filters.
Out of all the pads I have tried (haven't tried more expensive ones like ZMF pads), they are the ones that make the CX sound the most natural and tonally balanced IMO.
The CX always sounded good but kinda weird when comparing to my Sundara and to my IEMs (SA6, HA-FDX1, etc.), somewhat honky maybe?.
With these pads, the "kinda weird" impression is pretty much gone, definitely not honky anymore.

These pads are worth a try if you are pad rolling on the cheap like I am.

Edit: It looks like with these pads I don't need the felt filters. Hello treble extension :)
Edit 2: Treble may be a bit excessive without felt filters, but it's an interesting bright signature.
I went the opposite direction; I went with wide-open 110mm Brainwavez XL sheepskins. They fit fine and sound fantastic. But they are actually a bit TOO big; I have a feeling all that extra space is affecting the bass impact.

I have the following pads on order:

105mm angled pads
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

And

Denon replacements, as someone recommended here earlier
Replacement Cushion Ear Pads Covers earpads Earmuff for AH-D600 AH-D7100 AH D 600 AHD 7100 Headphones (All Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJ52CFF/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_6DJFYHMDEQQMFQ4ECAEY

I will be sure to let you know how they sound...

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #588 of 744
I went the opposite direction; I went with wide-open 110mm Brainwavez XL sheepskins. They fit fine and sound fantastic. But they are actually a bit TOO big; I have a feeling all that extra space is affecting the bass impact.

105mm angled pads

And

Replacement Cushion Ear Pads Covers earpads Earmuff for AH-D600 AH-D7100 AH D 600 AHD 7100 Headphones (All Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJ52CFF/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_6DJFYHMDEQQMFQ4ECAEY

Yes, that is why I didn't try some, too big of a cavity.
I have the pads you linked from aliexpress and they do boost bass a bit.
The larger pads from my latest post do as well, but they change the sound in other ways as well.
I think they alter the mids, giving a slight V shaped sound maybe?. Thinner pads can make the CX sound a bit honky IMO.

Edit: wrote too fast, I have only the pads linked from Aliexpress, no the Denon amazon ones.
I suspect the Denon ones might have too big of a cavity as well.
I have these pads for Denon: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33040658281.html

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #589 of 744
Ehh~~ wouldn't be so sure. Upgrade cables can look nice but the audio difference is IMO rather placebo :p
I agree.
That didn't stop me from making myself a cable though. I don't like how the stock cable handles and the mini XLR plug and all.
Plus, my cable is way prittier :)
Can't say it had any effect on sound.

2021-08-08 12-00-37.JPG

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #591 of 744
Aug 19, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #592 of 744

105mm angled pads

And

Ok. Welp, fail on both fronts:

1) I mistakenly ordered fenestrated. I lost a bit of bass and midrange presence, but it still sounds fantastic. I can't go apples to apples due to the fenestration, but the soundstage is huge - ie, the pads are angled and I don't know if it is the angle or the fenestration behind the big soundstage. They sound more cohesive than the the XL pads.

The catch is that they no longer isolate very well. My partner claims she can hear everything - including lyrics, even with her earphones in 😳

2) The Denon pads simply don't fit. I MIGHT be able to stretch them enough, but I think they would rip before they make it onto the cans. No refunds on this one, so I will have to resell them or hold onto them for another headphone.

I ordered non-fenestrated angled pad and non-angled pads. Both are 105mm, which seems to be the sweetspot for me. I will be sure to update you when I get them.

Aug 19, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #593 of 744
PS: I also ordered Forza Claire copper headphone cable. I have Claire Hybrids on my Focals, and they sound fantastic. I went with copper for these, hoping to increase bass weight and tame the treble a bit. I will let you know how that goes too.

I suspect the stock DUM cable is bottlenecking the bass and overall resolution. Ie, I have no idea what grade of copper it uses, but it is clearly a small guage design, with very little twisting. Just adding thicker cable should improve the bass, and tighter crossings on its twisted pair design should give it more clarity/blacker background. We'll see...

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #594 of 744
Ok. Welp, fail on both fronts:

1) I mistakenly ordered fenestrated. I lost a bit of bass and midrange presence, but it still sounds fantastic. I can't go apples to apples due to the fenestration, but the soundstage is huge - ie, the pads are angled and I don't know if it is the angle or the fenestration behind the big soundstage. They sound more cohesive than the the XL pads.

The catch is that they no longer isolate very well. My partner claims she can hear everything - including lyrics, even with her earphones in 😳

2) The Denon pads simply don't fit. I MIGHT be able to stretch them enough, but I think they would rip before they make it onto the cans. No refunds on this one, so I will have to resell them or hold onto them for another headphone.

I ordered non-fenestrated angled pad and non-angled pads. Both are 105mm, which seems to be the sweetspot for me. I will be sure to update you when I get them.
Some time ago I came to the conclusion that ”fenestrated” is Latin for “suck the bass out”…

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #595 of 744
Sep 29, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #597 of 744
Reviving this thread to say I bought a used pair with very minimal use. I was looking to own a planar magnetic headphone for the first time, and I also needed a closed-back for later night listening sessions, as my sister and her boyfriend can hear my music with my T1.3 oops. Speaking of my T1.3, I wanted something on the detail-oriented side + neutral to compliment the darker T1.3s.

Sep 29, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #598 of 744
Reviving this thread to say I bought a used pair with very minimal use. I was looking to own a planar magnetic headphone for the first time, and I also needed a closed-back for later night listening sessions, as my sister and her boyfriend can hear my music with my T1.3 oops. Speaking of my T1.3, I wanted something on the detail-oriented side + neutral to compliment the darker T1.3s.
I am looking to go the other way - I want to get a T5.3 to add to my CX. I know the T1 is not the T5, but I am curious how it sounds compared to the CX.

Sep 29, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #599 of 744
I am looking to go the other way - I want to get a T5.3 to add to my CX. I know the T1 is not the T5, but I am curious how it sounds compared to the CX
I've heard that they sound remarkably similar despite one being closed and being open

I would just assume that the differences are from it being closed back rather than a different driver - strong bass impact, smaller soundstage, less "air" in the sound etc but nothing major

I can vouch for its sound, at least as a T1.3 owner. Very "full" sounding headphone, mids aren't as recessed as the frequency response graph says it is, the treble is more relaxed, and the bass is very sexy. It can distort in more bass-heavy, modern recordings with poor mixing and mastering at higher volumes (like K-Pop & hip hop, two genres I listen to often), which is why the Ether CXs attracted me due to its extremely low distortion levels. Also, I really wanted to try out a planar pair of headphones, as well as needing a closed back for certain situations, so I went for it.

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #600 of 744
I've heard that they sound remarkably similar despite one being closed and being open

I would just assume that the differences are from it being closed back rather than a different driver - strong bass impact, smaller soundstage, less "air" in the sound etc but nothing major

I can vouch for its sound, at least as a T1.3 owner. Very "full" sounding headphone, mids aren't as recessed as the frequency response graph says it is, the treble is more relaxed, and the bass is very sexy. It can distort in more bass-heavy, modern recordings with poor mixing and mastering at higher volumes (like K-Pop & hip hop, two genres I listen to often), which is why the Ether CXs attracted me due to its extremely low distortion levels. Also, I really wanted to try out a planar pair of headphones, as well as needing a closed back for certain situations, so I went for it.
How is the T1's resolution compared to the CX? Imaging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back