MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Apr 18, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #572 of 744
Well, my Ether CX are back from the 2nd repair! I asked Sue if there was any way they could just laser cut one of the old style headbands that had Mr. Speakers and Massdrop on it before they both rebranded. My original serial number 017s had it. They ended up just giving me a whole plnew pair. She said probably not

However my serial number 1016s came back with a surprise! It seems they managed to dig out one of the older Mr. Speaker branded cases for me!
@mrspeakers

received_510361743332794.jpeg

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #573 of 744
I am on the fence regarding this model or an Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back. Does anyone have any experience with both?

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #575 of 744
I think the Ether-CX was better. The LCD-2 CB had like no bass extension or impact.
The Ether-CX is not bass heavy, but it's bass true. If you're used to Beats, you'll hate the Ether-CX (save some money and get the Monoprice M1060C ... I love their bass!)

The Ether-CX is as close to perfect as a closed back headphone has come for me. I keep buying more, but I can't find anything better.

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #576 of 744
I bought a CX, to be delivered Monday. It will have to survive a cage match to the death with my Focal Elegia. I will be sure to let you know which one wins, and why.

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #577 of 744
Well, I put the CX through its paces, and I am not sure if it is for me.

So far no combination of pads fixes what I hear to be a hollow thinness. I tried black plus one notch white AND two notch white, and that sounded muffled.

There are supposed to be gray foam inserts too? I bought the headphone used from a member here, and there are no gray foam inserts. Do they make a difference?

Fwiw, I bought a set of Brainwavez XL sheepskins, and they make a world of difference in comfort and coherence.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #578 of 744

So far no combination of pads fixes what I hear to be a hollow thinness. I tried black plus one notch white AND two notch white, and that sounded muffled.

There are supposed to be gray foam inserts too? I bought the headphone used from a member here, and there are no gray foam inserts. Do they make a difference?

Fwiw, I bought a set of Brainwavez XL sheepskins, and they make a world of difference in comfort and coherence.

What do you mean by grey?

Mine had the original black foam, black felt, 1-notch white, 2-notch white. You can mix and match. Usually you put 1 in at a time. I think Dan DOESN'T recommend mixing the white felt filters together. I'd try 2-Notch and the original foams

I thought they were "hollow" too at first, but I came to realize what I'm hearing is a very tight and clean bass. Sometimes that "full" sounding bass actually comes from distortion.(which to be fair some people love, and I personally really like for movies). Something like a loud car sub. Now that I switched jobs, I rarely switch cans anymore, so I have been wearing them for almost a year straight. Swapping to any other can, I can hear EXACTLY what their sound signature is. (I've also come to realize how much I enjoy my HE-4xx), or how some cans to get a bigger soundstage play with the frequency response. (Something like the Fidelio X3s, people say it has a massive soundstage, I mostly just hear a strange response range)

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #579 of 744

I know what you mean, I'm still not totally sure if I really like them after 6 months.
They do sound flat... and a bit boring IMO.
Swapping pads to these (100mm diameter I think) helped them sound a bit fuller by giving them some body: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html
What I know for sure is that I do enjoy my Sundara more than my CX.
However, to really enjoy my Sundara, it almost requires to be in a soundproof room with no ventilation and no other humans.
This is why I'm keeping the CX as they are very competent and closed back.

Oh, and I'm not aware of grey inserts as well.

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #581 of 744
What do you mean by grey?

Mine had the original black foam, black felt, 1-notch white, 2-notch white. You can mix and match. Usually you put 1 in at a time. I think Dan DOESN'T recommend mixing the white felt filters together. I'd try 2-Notch and the original foams

I thought they were "hollow" too at first, but I came to realize what I'm hearing is a very tight and clean bass. Sometimes that "full" sounding bass actually comes from distortion.(which to be fair some people love, and I personally really like for movies). Something like a loud car sub. Now that I switched jobs, I rarely switch cans anymore, so I have been wearing them for almost a year straight. Swapping to any other can, I can hear EXACTLY what their sound signature is. (I've also come to realize how much I enjoy my HE-4xx), or how some cans to get a bigger soundstage play with the frequency response. (Something like the Fidelio X3s, people say it has a massive soundstage, I mostly just hear a strange response range)
Mine didn't come with any black foam.

What affect does the foam have? Is it the missing component here?

Jul 28, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #583 of 744
I've been seeing people talk about the ZMF Universe Lambskin pads, I've decided I want to go for them. After 10+ hours of wear time with the stock pads, the tips of my ears get sore heh. But also seeing they create a slightly better seal is nice too.

My question, it seems they have multiple types, do I stick with lambskin? Do I take a gamble at suede? Maybe the hybrids?

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #584 of 744
I think I've found a great match for the CX : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000749219014.html
Thick sheepskin pads with an opening that matches really well with the felt filters.
Out of all the pads I have tried (haven't tried more expensive ones like ZMF pads), they are the ones that make the CX sound the most natural and tonally balanced IMO.
The CX always sounded good but kinda weird when comparing to my Sundara and to my IEMs (SA6, HA-FDX1, etc.), somewhat honky maybe?.
With these pads, the "kinda weird" impression is pretty much gone, definitely not honky anymore.

These pads are worth a try if you are pad rolling on the cheap like I am.

Edit: It looks like with these pads I don't need the felt filters. Hello treble extension :)
Edit 2: Treble may be a bit excessive without felt filters, but it's an interesting bright signature.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #585 of 744

It is amateur hour over here; I didn't connect the cables correctly and was running my CX out of phase - which was the cause for the hollow thinness. 🙄🙄

It sounds fantastic now. After lots of trial and error, one notch white plus black foam was the winning combination for me.

I need to find a cable upgrade now. I have a feeling the DUM cable is bottlenecking the sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back