MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Apr 26, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #451 of 744
hello, I will leave my thoughts as well. I own the HD6xx, and the HD650. The sound stage of the CX is much larger than the HD6xx and the HD 650 by quite a bit. The bass also goes much deeper on the CX compared to the HD 6xx/650, and it is not exaggerated. I am using the 2 notch felt pads and prefer the CX more for music over 6xx/650. imaging is also better than the 650/6xx. the CX do like power and I have been driving them with the IFI imicro black, and pretty happy with it. I tried gaming with the CX and was too happy as everything sounded too large/ kinda far away so I use the 6xx /650 for gaming.
Thanks. Haris, for your insights. I wonder if anyone has been able to compare the CX with the Aeon 2s - especially the A2 Open. It would be great to have an opinion on the tradeoffs inherent in such a choice

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #452 of 744
Thanks. Haris, for your insights. I wonder if anyone has been able to compare the CX with the Aeon 2s - especially the A2 Open. It would be great to have an opinion on the tradeoffs inherent in such a choice .

sorry I dont have the Aeon or I would gladly compare the two. Maybe someone who has both can chime in?

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #455 of 744
I posted my review of these in another thread asking for opinions on the CX. I'll post what I wrote here too. I apologize I don't post often and didn't know about this thread.

"I own a pair and love them. It's not the Elegia, but I had an Elear with Utopia pads and I much prefer the CX. The CX is far more comfortable, and the Elear would have terrible distortion in the bass if I cranked it. I also found the Elear to have a tiring, shouty, aggressive sound that demands your attention. The CX avoids this. My other favorite hadphone is the 6XX; comparing those two the CX is a heavier and less comfortable, has crisper highs, sounds more in-your-head (closed back) and has deeper, flatter bass. I can't pick a favorite they both have their strengths.

The CX has a detailed and neutral sound although it never escapes sounding like a closed headphone. Bass extension is phenomenal I don't understand the reviews that complain about lack of bass. Much better bass here than the Elear. When I put on dubstep, there's plenty of clean, deep bass where the Elear clipped and distorted. Listen to "Blue Sapphire" by Cimm to show off the CX's low end.

I have heard that burn-in is a requirement on these, but I cannot attest to that as I bought my CX used. Some users report that the sound is best after 200 hours.

Some notes on my experience with the tuning and ear pads: I wish the ear pads were thicker or angled because a bit of my ear touches the driver. This is fine with the black foam pads, those are soft and cushy. I really like the sound of the black felt combined with the black foam; too bad the black felt is stiff and uncomfortable. The two white felts sound nice they tame a bit of sizzle in the highs but the bass sounds a touch looser. The two-notch white with black foam is a popular combination but this blunts the sound too much for me. I like a little bite and crispness. Overall, I listen with only the stock black foam more than the other tuning pads.

I use a Schiit Magni Heresy with a Vivo cable. Heresy is plenty of amp for the CX this combo sounds spectacular.

What I like best about the CX is that it is a closed back without sounding overly bassy, boomy, or muddy. It's got enough isolation for the office and sounds clear, crisp, and dead-flat neutral. Hope this helps!"

May 1, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #456 of 744
The CX has a detailed and neutral sound although it never escapes sounding like a closed headphone. Bass extension is phenomenal I don't understand the reviews that complain about lack of bass. Much better bass here than the Elear. When I put on dubstep, there's plenty of clean, deep bass where the Elear clipped and distorted. Listen to "Blue Sapphire" by Cimm to show off the CX's low end.

I've never experienced true high-end cans before my CX. I can only speak from my dad's 7xx, my he-4xx, and collection of T50RP.

I at first thought they didn't have much bass, but as I've discovered recently, they need more volume then I'm used to. I generally don't listen to things loud, it isn't until decided to turn it up (why, I have no idea heh) I discovered where the bass starts to fill in. I'm not sure why, I understand perception of bass changes with volume, hence why amps sometimes have a "loudness" knob. But it seems to me the frequency response really does change with these with power

It doesn't make much sense to me tbh, but I mean, I could be just blowing smoke, random Canadian living on a random BC mountain in the middle of no where with no experience.

May 1, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #457 of 744
I've never experienced true high-end cans before my CX. I can only speak from my dad's 7xx, my he-4xx, and collection of T50RP.

I at first thought they didn't have much bass, but as I've discovered recently, they need more volume then I'm used to. I generally don't listen to things loud, it isn't until decided to turn it up (why, I have no idea heh) I discovered where the bass starts to fill in. I'm not sure why, I understand perception of bass changes with volume, hence why amps sometimes have a "loudness" knob. But it seems to me the frequency response really does change with these with power

It doesn't make much sense to me tbh, but I mean, I could be just blowing smoke, random Canadian living on a random BC mountain in the middle of no where with no experience.

Nope Bass perception changes with the volume. It's actually mentioned in an interview with Dan Clark somewhere on YouTube and he also mentioned he tune the headphones to sound good at lower volumes.

That said this explains a lot the different opinions about the Ether bass. As it seems the CX bass just comes up with relatively high volume. Which is actually contrary what is mentioned above.
I also like to listen on low volume just to protect my ears and the bass is just not there. When I turn the volume up the bass comes and it's just perfect.

You can play with the damping or other pads but I never got the sound signature rigth on low volumes on the CX.

And of course perception of sound is still subject to the individual.

May 1, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #458 of 744

You are 100% right - the CX sounds much better with more volume. It's one of the reasons I ended up selling mine - like you, I generally don't listen too loud.

May 1, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #459 of 744
A neat trick I just discovered: you can rotate the earpads 180 degrees so that the seam faces the back of your head. I noticed that the foam in the pads is forming a little bump in the front; rotating that bump towards the back almost makes them feel angled. Its probably a good idea to rotate the pads every now and then to keep the wear even.

May 1, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #460 of 744
A neat trick I just discovered: you can rotate the earpads 180 degrees so that the seam faces the back of your head. I noticed that the foam in the pads is forming a little bump in the front; rotating that bump towards the back almost makes them feel angled. Its probably a good idea to rotate the pads every now and then to keep the wear even.
Like tires and mattresses! I would say “and significant others”, but she has access to my computer...!

May 1, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #461 of 744
sorry I dont have the Aeon or I would gladly compare the two. Maybe someone who has both can chime in?

Hi, normally I comment on sound but in this case because this was a specific product for Drop I kind of shy away from direct comparisons and leave that to others.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 1, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #463 of 744
I got my CX for 629.99 new off eBay. You can get it with the THX 789 bundled with it as well with free shipping for 869.99. I can't wait for my CX to come. :)

May 2, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #464 of 744
Hi, normally I comment on sound but in this case because this was a specific product for Drop I kind of shy away from direct comparisons and leave that to others.

I used to own the original Aeon Closed. To me it sounded very close to the Ether CX. I think the Ether CX has a touch more presence in the bass and a touch wider sound. I prefer the sound of the Ether CX but I do miss the weight and deep earpads of the Aeon, the Aeon is one of the most comfortable headphones I have worn. It's so comfortable I may sell the Ether CX for the Aeon Closed 2!

May 2, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #465 of 744
I used to own the original Aeon Closed. To me it sounded very close to the Ether CX. I think the Ether CX has a touch more presence in the bass and a touch wider sound. I prefer the sound of the Ether CX but I do miss the weight and deep earpads of the Aeon, the Aeon is one of the most comfortable headphones I have worn. It's so comfortable I may sell the Ether CX for the Aeon Closed 2!
Do not sale the CX just have a collection of headphones. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back