MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Feb 24, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #91 of 744
I hope people really enjoy these, we put in lots of tuning options and worked really hard to give it a super smooth voicing with a really nice tone and more resolution than the original ETHER C.

I want one Dan, just can't afford it right now :)

Eager to read first impressions!

My understanding is they will be available after the drop units ship.
Any idea how many units will be available and if the product will be purchasable for a while, or will this be a rather limited release "while it lasts" and that's it?

Feb 24, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #92 of 744
The goal is to have this available for a while.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 25, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #94 of 744
Thanks for keeping us in the know! I'm definitely grabbing one as soon as the drop opens. I've been a huge fan of my aeon flow closed but after hearing the ether c at can jam, I've caught the bug.

I also literally caught a bug, because I got super sick right after can jam lol. But it was worth it.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #95 of 744
Thanks for keeping us in the know! I'm definitely grabbing one as soon as the drop opens. I've been a huge fan of my aeon flow closed but after hearing the ether c at can jam, I've caught the bug.

I also literally caught a bug, because I got super sick right after can jam lol. But it was worth it.

just curious, did u find the AFO or AFC more detailed?

sign me up if Aeon Flows go on MD..

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #96 of 744
just curious, did u find the AFO or AFC more detailed?

sign me up if Aeon Flows go on MD..

I found the AFC and Ether C pretty close in terms of everything, detail included, except for sound stage, where ether c is a clear winner. I also think the ether c had a tad bit more of an even and audiophile friendly presentation. Both are great, though.

Feb 25, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #98 of 744
Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #100 of 744
After a long decision making I decided on AFC. Then I saw this and my mind is confused again :frowning2:

Which one sounds better, AFC or ETHER CX ? I don't really care about the $100 difference, I just want to obtain the best sounding headphone.

Feb 25, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #101 of 744
After a long decision making I decided on AFC. Then I saw this and my mind is confused again :frowning2:

Which one sounds better, AFC or ETHER CX ? I don't really care about the $100 difference, I just want to obtain the best sounding headphone.

If there was a clear and simple answer, I would give it to you right away, but I don't think there are any clear answers in audiophilia, especially with regards to "does X sound better than Y." They are both great. The Ether C is more open sounding and may sacrifice a very small amount of perceived detail due to the very fact that it is slightly more airy. The AFC is a little more closed in but due to the immediacy, may seem slightly more detailed. The AFC may be a hair brighter and more lively but the Ether C has a little more oomph in the bass and a slightly more neutral presentation. This is all based on my subjective experience, some people may tell you the exact opposite. I've lived with and loved the AFC since launch. It's great. Having also spent time with the Ether C, I can also tell you that it's great too. I'm going to buy a CX too because I love them both and value what each one brings to the table.

Feb 25, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #102 of 744
If there was a clear and simple answer, I would give it to you right away, but I don't think there are any clear answers in audiophilia, especially with regards to "does X sound better than Y." They are both great. The Ether C is more open sounding and may sacrifice a very small amount of perceived detail due to the very fact that it is slightly more airy. The AFC is a little more closed in but due to the immediacy, may seem slightly more detailed. The AFC may be a hair brighter and more lively but the Ether C has a little more oomph in the bass and a slightly more neutral presentation. This is all based on my subjective experience, some people may tell you the exact opposite. I've lived with and loved the AFC since launch. It's great. Having also spent time with the Ether C, I can also tell you that it's great too. I'm going to buy a CX too because I love them both and value what each one brings to the table.

For someone who found the AFC harsh, would they think the same of the Ether C? I consider the AFC brighter than neutral, but it seems the Ether CX gets rid of that AFC peak I found harsh. Is the Ether C neutral, warm, or V-shaped?

I'm actually trying to find something warmer than my Z1R in the upper-mids and treble. Came across this thread today.

Feb 25, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #103 of 744
Hope they improved these as the original was terrible.

Feb 25, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #104 of 744
For someone who found the AFC harsh, would they think the same of the Ether C? I consider the AFC brighter than neutral, but it seems the Ether CX gets rid of that AFC peak I found harsh. Is the Ether C neutral, warm, or V-shaped?

I'm actually trying to find something warmer than my Z1R in the upper-mids and treble. Came across this thread today.

Audeze and zmf might be for you if you want something warmer in the upper mids

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #105 of 744

I take it that AF is warmer than Ether/Ether C/Ether 2..??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back