MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jul 16, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #4,367 of 4,813
I just bought some used the day before the Flow version was announced.. Will def upgrade if its at or under 500 to do so
I'm thinking more like 600 but we will have to wait for Dan to say. I bet it will decent wait time also because I know I'm upgrading.

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #4,369 of 4,813
I'm thinking more like 600 but we will have to wait for Dan to say. I bet it will decent wait time also because I know I'm upgrading.

Let's not start guessing now and put out an expectation of a price before MrSpeakers makes anything official... who knows, they might be thinking of less!
rolleyes.gif

That being said, I think for those who bought "recently", the price will be close to the difference between the old Ether and new Ether Flow (ie. $1499 vs $1799, or $300), and for those who aren't "recent", it'll likely be a "bit more" than that...
L3000.gif

I've been loving my Ether C's since late last year, but I echo others that it's probably inevitable I end up upgrading! And definitely agree, kudos to Dan for choosing to do right by their customer base (and all of us who've jumped onto their flagship cans) and offering an upgrade price!

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #4,370 of 4,813
Yeah its going to be at least late this year before upgrades are available, I bet.. His first batch of pre orders are not even going out until September.
Yes I preordered the C's at about the same time last year. Better than the 7 month plus wait on the Liquid Carbon ; )

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #4,372 of 4,813
mmm.....my guess is it will be over  800 bucks: new drivers/driver replacement, grills, certificate of authenticity (gives existing ether and ether c some depreciation protection), labor costs, DUM cable (my one abiding wish is for Mr. Speakers make a shorter 1.2 to 1.5 m. cable available as an option), profit margin,  shipping, extended warranty (a personal assumption), etc. Of course, I'd like it to be well under that. I've two Ether upgrades to pay for.

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #4,373 of 4,813
Wow, what if Dan is thinking $150 (wishful thinking?) but now with these suggestions realises he can charge much more. I personally don't think he's that kind of person, but hey... I hope we can cool it on the price guessing and wait for Dan's announcement in the coming weeks. I'm guessing shipping is on the customer.

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #4,374 of 4,813
  mmm.....my guess is it will be over  800 bucks: new drivers/driver replacement, grills, certificate of authenticity (gives existing ether and ether c some depreciation protection), labor costs, DUM cable (my one abiding wish is for Mr. Speakers make a shorter 1.2 to 1.5 m. cable available as an option), profit margin,  shipping, extended warranty (a personal assumption), etc. Of course, I'd like it to be well under that. I've two Ether upgrades to pay for.

IMO for the Ether C Flow it seems more like a sidegrade due to the "smoother" highs when the original Ether C already has insanely smooth highs and already warm and a bit rolled off sounding though Mojo. I haven't heard the Flow C though so yeah... idk. If it was just a bass/detail/soundstage increase i'd be all for it though. I just need the headphone to be revealing of 15k+ harshness which the original Ether C already Isn't.

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #4,375 of 4,813
mmm......actually, the more guessing on the cost of the upgrade, the better. You say it is 150 bucks and I'm saying 800 bucks. Others are in between. It is actually advantageous: 1. wisdom of the crowd yields better results (in the presence of the unknown), i.e.,  why the many are smarter than the few.   2. practical:  it gives us (upgraders) headstart  to prepare the funds for the upgrade(s) 3. Feedback to Mr. Speakers.

September timeframe works for me. Gives more time to make an informed decision based on  more impressions and comparisons to be posted here at Headfi.org (upgrade? Sidegrade? Downgrade?). Personally, I'm a sucker for upgrades, a low-hanging fruit (so to speak). So, my default decision is to almost always upgrade (DID: 800 to 800 S, T1 to T1.2, Zeus XIV to Zeus XIV R etc. NIXED: TH 900 to TH 900 Mk II, AK T8ie to AK T8ie Mk II).

Anyway, I agree BTT.

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #4,376 of 4,813
  mmm......actually, the more guessing on the cost of the upgrade, the better. You say it is 150 bucks and I'm saying 800 bucks. Others are in between. It is actually advantageous: 1. wisdom of the crowd yields better results (in the presence of the unknown), i.e.,  why the many are smarter than the few.   2. practical:  it gives us (upgraders) headstart  to prepare the funds for the upgrade(s) 3. Feedback to Mr. Speakers.

September timeframe works for me. Gives more time to make an informed decision based on  more impressions and comparisons to be posted here at Headfi.org (upgrade? Sidegrade? Downgrade?). Personally, I'm a sucker for upgrades, a low-hanging fruit (so to speak). So, my default decision is to almost always upgrade (DID: 800 to 800 S, T1 to T1.2, Zeus XIV to Zeus XIV R etc. NIXED: TH 900 to TH 900 Mk II, AK T8ie to AK T8ie Mk II).

Anyway, I agree BTT.

From my point of view I think paying more than the price difference between c non flow and c flow models which is $250 (4pin balanced dum cable model) + shipping is a bad move from the consumers perspective, now understanding a little about the challenges and cost of changing or introducing process's in manufacturing I can also understand Dan setting a price higher than $250.

Personally I'm pretty happy with my C and won't commit to going with the flow regardless of price until I've demo'd a C Flow.
I really hope you're wrong thinking $800 I won't pay that much + shipping to have to give up my precious for weeks maybe months, to get back in return a heavier set of cans, and lets face it in all likelihood it's not going to sound near 40% better as that price would have you expect.

interestingly when speculating on the cost so far nobody has mentioned taking into account the precedent that was cost of alpha dog to prime upgrade, can anyone comment on what the cost of that upgrade was vs the new unit price difference?

To conclude
I don't think speculating on the price is much use, unless you're looking to bet on it.
I'd suggest people have a think and share the price they'd like to pay for 'dat flow state' and even maybe the point they'd not go with the flow.
Also it's pleasing to read Dan is considering the recent purchaser's and those abroad on the hook for high shipping costs.

I'd like to be able to go with the flow for under $250usd + shipping, at about $400usd + shipping I'd pass go on enjoying the C and in a year or so revaluate the summit of closed backs

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #4,377 of 4,813
Wow, what if Dan is thinking $150 (wishful thinking?) but now with these suggestions realises he can charge much more. I personally don't think he's that kind of person, but hey... I hope we can cool it on the price guessing and wait for Dan's announcement in the coming weeks. I'm guessing shipping is on the customer.

IMHO, a reasonable figure close to the one you are mentioning should be closer to reality.At least it is my hope.
If I understood well the drivers will be replaced by new ones. As a possible process, Mrspeakers would recover the old ones in order to be later upgraded. By setting a reasonable price, it might increase the demand as well as drivers` buffer stock.
Let`s wait first, for Dan`s annoucements as well as if it is really making sense, in terms of SQ to upgrade

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #4,378 of 4,813
mmm....as I understand the upgrade process and, correct me if I'm wrong, what will be left (after our Ether C and Ether are evicerated) will be the NiTinol headband , the external case and earpads. Nothing else. All the rest will be brand new parts. I don't think the old drivers will be of much use to Mr. Speakers. It is USED parts, unsuitable for anything but recycling (assuming Mr. Speakers is environment-friendly).  Personally, if I had my way, I'd like the old drivers back as back-up just in case the Flow drivers fail.

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #4,379 of 4,813
mmm....as I understand the upgrade process and, correct me if I'm wrong, what will be left (after our Ether C and Ether are evicerated) will be the NiTinol headband , the external case and earpads. Nothing else. All the rest will be brand new parts. I don't think the old drivers will be of much use to Mr. Speakers. It is USED parts, unsuitable for anything but recycling (assuming Mr. Speakers is environment-friendly).  Personally, if I had my way, I'd like the old drivers back as back-up just in case the Flow drivers fail.

Well he could make the upgrade on the cups optional (I personally like them the way they look now)... It might also be possible to upgrade the drivers rather than replace them.. At least one can hope lol

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #4,380 of 4,813

hmmm............all the time we spend burning in drivers it would be a shame to just toss them away. Maybe make a new headphone with the refurbished driver? I mean it's a REALLY good driver...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back