MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jul 17, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #4,381 of 4,813
hmmm............all the time we spend burning in drivers it would be a shame to just toss them away. Maybe make a new headphone with the refurbished driver? I mean it's a REALLY good driver... If that were the plan it would probably be easer to offer replacement headsets on a trade in program.

That's a solid point.. He could sell refurbished headsets with the replaced cups and drivers..

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #4,382 of 4,813
  mmm....as I understand the upgrade process and, correct me if I'm wrong, what will be left (after our Ether C and Ether are evicerated) will be the NiTinol headband , the external case and earpads. Nothing else. All the rest will be brand new parts. I don't think the old drivers will be of much use to Mr. Speakers. It is USED parts, unsuitable for anything but recycling (assuming Mr. Speakers is environment-friendly).  Personally, if I had my way, I'd like the old drivers back as back-up just in case the Flow drivers fail.

This is also my understanding. Therefore at your price estimation I will request to recover the former ones.
Whatever SQ improvement, it may bring at such price I will definetely not upgrade, my choice.
Rgds

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #4,383 of 4,813
I purchased the Ether C a few months back and now It is cheaper! I'm a little upset. The difference from the old price of the Ether C to the new Flow C is 200USD. So it would be fair that the upgrade will not cost more because the old Ether Cs are worth less money now. Rather then I hope for a special upgrade price for customers purchasing the Ether Cs. I'm not living in the USA and for that I'm counting on Dan to make a plan for international customers to process the upgrade over the european distributors.

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #4,386 of 4,813
I'd rather not pay a lot for an upgrade, but claiming any particular price point as "fair" is silly, IMO. What is fair, is offering an upgrade. Who else even does that? What is fair, is for Mr. Speaker to not lose money on the upgrade. How much he has to charge to at least break even, not a single one of us have any idea since we don't know the cost of the parts, what he pays his employees, or how much labor is involved.

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #4,388 of 4,813
  Maybe I missed something but I don’t think anyone claimed that any price was a fair price, just what they were willing to pay. 

That is not how I read the comments, but I'll leave it for each reader to judge for themselves.

Edit: I was making a general comment. I put fair in quotes to indicate it is a paraphrase. I apologize if anyone thought I was addressing them specifically.

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #4,389 of 4,813
I retract my statement now that I go back and look there is a person who is upset that he or she purchased her headphones recently and now they are 200 cheaper. I am assuming you were responding to that person. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #4,390 of 4,813
The question should be, is the motor change only the reaming of the current hole and insertion of the impedance transformer or is there more to it.

I noticed mention of slider, does this mean it would have bass tuning for the Ether C flow?

One other, has anyone actually preferred the EtherC to EtherC Flow?

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #4,391 of 4,813
The question should be, is the motor change only the reaming of the current hole and insertion of the impedance transformer or is there more to it.

I noticed mention of slider, does this mean it would have bass tuning for the Ether C flow?

One other, has anyone actually preferred the EtherC to EtherC Flow?

"I talked to two people who preferred the Ether C over the Ether C Flow based on the brighter presentation.  My take on this - if you like a bright presentation, you may prefer the non-flow.  Everyone else liked the Flow version better, some found the difference more profound than others.  For me, the flow wins hands down.  Just a more realistic, "smoother" presentation for me."

-aamefford 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814341/official-2016-sf-head-fi-meet-impressions-thread-july-16-2016/15

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #4,392 of 4,813
  "I talked to two people who preferred the Ether C over the Ether C Flow based on the brighter presentation.  My take on this - if you like a bright presentation, you may prefer the non-flow.  Everyone else liked the Flow version better, some found the difference more profound than others.  For me, the flow wins hands down.  Just a more realistic, "smoother" presentation for me."

-aamefford 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814341/official-2016-sf-head-fi-meet-impressions-thread-july-16-2016/15

I think I am definitely going to prefer the flow version...... waiting patiently (honestly impatiently) on the upgrade program details. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #4,394 of 4,813
Doesn`t Audeze charge $250 to upgrade to the newer 2016 drivers? Hmmmmm....

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #4,395 of 4,813
Doesn`t Audeze charge $250 to upgrade to the newer 2016 drivers? Hmmmmm....

Also, looks like they offered a $50 upgrade for those that purchased the LCD-2 right before the version 2 was released.
https://www.audeze.com/recent-purchase-upgrade

just saying....

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back