MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jul 12, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #4,336 of 4,813
I'm going to get a set of cowhide pads from Zack and put them on tour for ether c folks. Special thanks to ZMF for the pads. The on tour pads won't be for sale, but if you like them, you can order from ZMF. The conditions of the tour are to clean them and send them to the next person on the list (tracked, and at your expense), and that you post impressions. Serious wall of shame for those that don't post impressions! :) USA only for now. Sorry.

Do not post here if you would like to participate. Please PM me directly. In fact, if you post here requesting to be on the tour, you obviously can't follow directions, and you won't be on the tour. I don't want to bother the good folks here with the minutiae of the tour, so PM with requests or questions. Only thing you should post here are impressions.

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #4,337 of 4,813
My JH Angie sounds great with my poorly mastered music. Maybe the ETHER C will sound fine with poorly mastered music.

Also, how is the ETHER C with gaming?

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #4,338 of 4,813
My JH Angie sounds great with my poorly mastered music. Maybe the ETHER C will sound fine with poorly mastered music.

Also, how is the ETHER C with gaming?
The C's will let you know that it is poorly recorded for sure. As far as gaming you need to check out this http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #4,339 of 4,813
The C's will let you know that it is poorly recorded for sure. As far as gaming you need to check out this http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

I will pass on the Ethers then since half my collection is from CDs form the 1980s and 1990s.

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #4,340 of 4,813
I will pass on the Ethers then since half my collection is from CDs form the 1980s and 1990s.

There are some amazingly well-recorded CD's from the 80's and 90's! 

And also some incredibly poorly recorded CD's from the last few years. 

While it's not the only element of a good recording, the "loudness wars" have really compressed the dynamic range of recordings lately. I just did a random selection of 80's and 90's CD rips on JRMC and they all had DR's of between 11 and 15, while Adele's and Lady Gaga's latest albums have DR's of only 5. Yuck. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #4,341 of 4,813
Wow, I listen to music I'm always into the song and never pay attention to how "poorly" it was recorded..........and I make music for a living! 

You guys are hardcore!

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #4,342 of 4,813
  Wow, I listen to music I'm always into the song and never pay attention to how "poorly" it was recorded..........and I make music for a living! 

You guys are hardcore!

Exactly. The point is to immerse yourself and be in the music, but at times you can risk getting distracted by the recording "errors". For example in my opinion Lady Gaga's first albums were recorded poorly, while here later albums were better (with the exception of the compression, which has always been an issue, with DR's of 5-6 across all of her albums). The issue is that as you go up the gear-chain you get equipment that lays everything bare - like a zoom lens that shows the wrinkles and pores. 
wink_face.gif

But back to your point, enjoying the music is the most important thing IMHO. Cheers

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #4,345 of 4,813
  How does JRMC give you a recording's DR?

Right click on a song file in JPMC, select "library tools" and then "analyze audio". This will show you all about the song, with various DR measurements and other analytics. Cheers 

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #4,348 of 4,813
Glad to see there is going to be a upgrade path as I was afraid I was going to be in the poor house and the dog house at the same time .

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #4,350 of 4,813

You guys are hardcore!

Having never had good headphones, I do not know how bad recordings sound. They may sound fine to me, but it is a risk paying this much and not liking it. Even selling it, I would take a financial hit. The Angies are my first high level and they sound good with all the music I have played through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back