MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Apr 28, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #3,796 of 4,813
The h6 should actually be kinda similar with a nice stage and linear sound, but despite being sold in apple stores, they do like better than normal amping. The only other headphones that might sound similar is the NAD hp50 or the akg k545 or 553 are linearish sounding headphones with good soundstages. 

The pm3 has an okay soundstage.

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #3,797 of 4,813
I found the PM-3's disappointing even before I heard the Ether C's. Now I can't imagine going back to what (to me) was a lifeless sound. :)  I'd suggest trying the B&W P7's ($270 if you have Verizon Rewards), and honestly tho I don't like the sound or the air pressure, for air travel the Bose QC25's blank out the drone like nothing else I've heard. I'd consider them just as ear muffs for that purpose if I flew a lot.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #3,800 of 4,813
Beyerdynamic t5p sounds Great and easy to drive.isolation could be better tough.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gen 2 or Gen 1?

Had Generation 1, loved the detail and sound stage and that it was super easy to drive. But ultimately parted with it because it just lacked in the bass far too much to be considered accurate.

I have the Gen 2 now and Beyer did a wonderful job fixing the thin low end. It's now wonderfully balanced sounding and for me it's one of the best sounding portable dynamic closed headphones on the market right now. It's now sort of like neutral plus now.

I agree with you on isolation. The cups are very thin and this hasn't changed with Gen. 2. Also thumbs up for Beyer going with the detachable cables as well.

It sounds great out of my DP-X1 and other solid state gear. It's currently my office headphone. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #3,801 of 4,813
  Has anyone paired a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable with the Ether C's?

I'm curious about this as well. I'm considering a Moon Black Dragon or Norne Zoetic with a 2.5mm TRRS termination to supplement my DUM 4 Pin XLR cable.

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #3,802 of 4,813
Gen 2 or Gen 1?

Had Generation 1, loved the detail and sound stage and that it was super easy to drive. But ultimately parted with it because it just lacked in the bass far too much to be considered accurate.

I have the Gen 2 now and Beyer did a wonderful job fixing the thin low end. It's now wonderfully balanced sounding and for me it's one of the best sounding portable dynamic closed headphones on the market right now. It's now sort of like neutral plus now.

I agree with you on isolation. The cups are very thin and this hasn't changed with Gen. 2. Also thumbs up for Beyer going with the detachable cables as well.

It sounds great out of my DP-X1 and other solid state gear. It's currently my office headphone. :)  
I also have the 2 gen.Never heard the first one.Its an awesome headphone.Big soundstage,nice and clean bass and a hinth of warmth :) if it only had better isolation.But its not the worst I've heard in terms of isolation :)

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #3,803 of 4,813
I just received my Ether-C set with both DUM cables. I'm burning them in with my Master 11 and DUM Balanced cable. I was told by Dan that the 200 hour burn in is a real thing. I believe him. I won't talk about how they sound yet. But they started out 'smaller' sounding and after 20 hours they are getting bigger. Ok, I bought both cables. Both sound great. FYI the 1/4 cable is fairly supple. The balanced cable is a bit springy. If I curl it up to put in the case, it will have a bit of a curl when straightened out. But it does straighten out. The two cables each have a different feel.

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #3,804 of 4,813
  I'm curious about this as well. I'm considering a Moon Black Dragon or Norne Zoetic with a 2.5mm TRRS termination to supplement my DUM 4 Pin XLR cable.

Personally I was never a fan of the Black Dragon -- or the Silver Dragon for that matter, and I've tried both. I think they were good for their time (they've both been available for many years) but IMO they've been bettered by newer cables such as the Norne, DHC or the WyWires Red, which is what I'm using now with the Ether C.

Previously I was able to do a direct comparison of the Silver Dragon and WyWires since I had both at the same time with my LCD-X -- and the WyWires was a clear-cut winner, while my friend had the Black Dragon with his LCD-X so I'm very familiar with both. My friend shared my opinion.

I love Moon Audio but I do think the cables could use a "refreshing" to be more competitive with newer alternatives.

Just my opinion. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #3,806 of 4,813
  I apologize in advance if this is a little off topic.  Let me first say that I LOVE the sound signature of my Ether C's.  I have a dilemma in that I have several trips coming up and there is no way in hell that I am going to take them with me.  Is there anything similar???

IEMs:  I certainly can't afford Laylas or Noble K10s.  What would you recommend that would have a similar sound?  Angie's?  Also keep in mind, I can get Shure IEMs for a GREAT price through my job, but I heard that the 846's are boomy.

Headphones: B&O H6, Oppo Pm3...

Thanks a lot for your thoughts,
Eric

Regarding the Shure SE846, yes it's got a pronounced bass but I find the bass to be ok overall -- it depends on the type of music you listen to and for traveling I found that some extra bass is welcome since bass is really drowned out by loud noises from planes, trains, etc.  So I use my 846 almost exclusively for traveling and my Ether C for home listening.

BTW, don't laugh but a friend just got the Bose QC-25 noise canceling headphones and for traveling they are really good -- the noise cancelling is amazing, they're comfortable and the sound is very good. I may get a pair too and alternate with my SE846. They won't replace the Ether C but neither did the 846 and if you keep in mind that it's a temporary concession to traveling, they'll do just fine.

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #3,808 of 4,813
If I were a frequent flyer I would buy the Bose, no questions asked.  For the hotel I would get something else.  But for the plane, Bose are really confortable and really good  at cancelling plane noise.  I bought a family member a pair for travel and when I listened to them I was pleasently surprised with the SQ.  It was not bad, actually they sounded more than ok.

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #3,810 of 4,813
Well guess what, If they come up with a product  that does its job and have descent sound I don't care brand.  Off course Mr. Speakers will always be No.1.  I would be the first in line for the Ether noise cancellers LOL.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back