MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Apr 3, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #3,346 of 4,813
How do these cans work with EDM? I've read some reviews on Reddit that say they don't work too well but seems like some others here like MLE think they are fine for the genre. I listen to other types of music too but EDM is probably my most frequent so it needs to perform well. I use a ZMF Omni right now which is perfect for EDM but gets too heavy on my head after an hour. Thanks!

edit: I think the reviews I read had no tuning pads installed. Maybe 2 black tuning pads and some burn-in would allow for some more low end presence for EDM?

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #3,348 of 4,813
pratical question: can you fold flat the 2 headcups to store it flat in a slim case like I can do with my HE-X/1000 ? 

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #3,349 of 4,813
pratical question: can you fold flat the 2 headcups to store it flat in a slim case like I can do with my HE-X/1000 ? 

Nope, but the case that they come with is about as small as you can make it otherwise.

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #3,350 of 4,813
I'm currently rocking a WA7 with tubed PSU for home use and it does a pretty great job with my Ether C's. Also have a HA-2 for portable but it feels there is big room for improvement.

Thinking of selling both and getting a Chord Hugo to serve both roles.

Would this be a good idea? Obviously should be a significant upgrade for portable but not too sure about replacing the WA7.

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #3,351 of 4,813
I'm currently rocking a WA7 with tubed PSU for home use and it does a pretty great job with my Ether C's. Also have a HA-2 for portable but it feels there is big room for improvement.

Thinking of selling both and getting a Chord Hugo to serve both roles.

Would this be a good idea? Obviously should be a significant upgrade for portable but not too sure about replacing the WA7.

From what I've read the WA7 is warm so I think the Mojo would be better if you're unsure about the jump to the Hugo's more neutral/bright signature. The Mojo is tuned slightly warmer, but it has the exact same driving power as the Hugo and I listen to the Mojo/ETHER C combo quite a lot and barely put a dent in the volume (double red on the volume balls, which is low). Mojo also measures better than the Hugo and you'll save a lot of cash.

The biggest question is will you miss the tube sound or not? The Mojo (and Hugo) measures much better for distortion than the WA7, and the DAC in both Chord devices is a big step up from the WA7.

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #3,352 of 4,813
How do these cans work with EDM? I've read some reviews on Reddit that say they don't work too well but seems like some others here like MLE think they are fine for the genre. I listen to other types of music too but EDM is probably my most frequent so it needs to perform well. I use a ZMF Omni right now which is perfect for EDM but gets too heavy on my head after an hour. Thanks!

edit: I think the reviews I read had no tuning pads installed. Maybe 2 black tuning pads and some burn-in would allow for some more low end presence for EDM?

EDM possibly the best genre for this headphone. Certainly not the only type of music that they do well, but electronic music certainly plays to it's strengths in my estimation. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #3,353 of 4,813
From what I've read the WA7 is warm so I think the Mojo would be better if you're unsure about the jump to the Hugo's more neutral/bright signature. The Mojo is tuned slightly warmer, but it has the exact same driving power as the Hugo and I listen to the Mojo/ETHER C combo quite a lot and barely put a dent in the volume (double red on the volume balls, which is low). Mojo also measures better than the Hugo and you'll save a lot of cash.

The biggest question is will you miss the tube sound or not? The Mojo (and Hugo) measures much better than the WA7, and the DAC in both Chord devices is a big step up from the WA7.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I'm looking at Hugo rather than Mojo is firstly that I have an opportunity to get a second hand one at a good price.

Secondly, as stupid as it may be, I sometimes watch movies using my Sony MDR-1ABTs via Bluetooth. The Hugo would allow me to sell these and use the Ether C's for this purpose too.

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #3,354 of 4,813
I'm certainly no expert and have only auditioned the mojo a couple of times (quiet room). I remember liking it but thinking that it sounded clean and mostly neutral. It worked well with my hd650 but not as well with hd800. I'd need to hear it again with both ETHER headphones. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #3,355 of 4,813
Thanks for your reply.

The reason I'm looking at Hugo rather than Mojo is firstly that I have an opportunity to get a second hand one at a good price.

Secondly, as stupid as it may be, I sometimes watch movies using my Sony MDR-1ABTs via Bluetooth. The Hugo would allow me to sell these and use the Ether C's for this purpose too.

I'm a bit confused by your second point cause if you plan to use the C's can't you get the Mojo for it anyways? Just a question.

Having listened to the old WA7 (ive not heard the 2nd edition) I would say the DAC on the Mojo is much better than WA7 V1. The tubes from the WA7 however makes it more organic sounding, slightly warmer if you will. My recommendation is go for the Mojo. You can even make a portable rig with that!

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #3,356 of 4,813
I'm a bit confused by your second point cause if you plan to use the C's can't you get the Mojo for it anyways? Just a question.

Having listened to the old WA7 (ive not heard the 2nd edition) I would say the DAC on the Mojo is much better than WA7 V1. The tubes from the WA7 however makes it more organic sounding, slightly warmer if you will. My recommendation is go for the Mojo. You can even make a portable rig with that!

Sorry, to be clearer, when watching movies late at night with the wife/baby asleep in the next room my only option is Bluetooth headphones (as the chair is far away from the TV). As the Hugo has Bluetooth receiving capabilities, I could get rid of the Bluetooth headphones and use the Ether/Hugo combo.

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #3,357 of 4,813
Thanks for your reply.

There are those extras that the Hugo has. I just know that it's brighter is all which may be a bit much coming from the WA7.

:beerchug:

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #3,358 of 4,813
Sorry, to be clearer, when watching movies late at night with the wife/baby asleep in the next room my only option is Bluetooth headphones (as the chair is far away from the TV). As the Hugo has Bluetooth receiving capabilities, I could get rid of the Bluetooth headphones and use the Ether/Hugo combo.

Alright thanks for making that clear. I guess in terms of the WA7 it boils down to if youre gonna miss that tube amp sound. Although Mojo's DAC is great I feel that at times it could benefit from other amps that would maybe make the sound suit more to me.

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #3,359 of 4,813
I'm certainly no expert and have only auditioned the mojo a couple of times (quiet room). I remember liking it but thinking that it sounded clean and mostly neutral. It worked well with my hd650 but not as well with hd800. I'd need to hear it again with both ETHER headphones. 

What didn't you like with the HD800? I didn't like the HD800 in general every time I auditioned them. I'm guessing it's a synergy issue as many have loved the pairing, but I haven't tried the HD800 myself from the Mojo. When comparing drive ability the Hugo and the Mojo are exactly the same. Confirmed by Rob Watts directly to me and many times in the Mojo thread by Rob and John Franks.

With the ETHER C I'm very impressed with the pairing, especially the bass texture and the thump when it's in the track. I was listening to the band Stillhart posted earlier and I was completely lost in the music. It sounded so 'right' with the combo to me. 70's rock.... Just awesome. I prefer this over the LCD-2, easily.

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #3,360 of 4,813
Alright thanks for making that clear. I guess in terms of the WA7 it boils down to if youre gonna miss that tube amp sound. Although Mojo's DAC is great I feel that at times it could benefit from other amps that would maybe make the sound suit more to me.

Hmmmm, might try and sample the Hugo before jumping in as a big part of the initial reason I went with the WA7 was the warmth.

Just a shame the HA-2 isn't quite there in terms of powering the Ethers as it has been great otherwise.

I'm sure I know the answer to this already but do you think the Bluetooth Hugo/Ether would be an upgrade for movie watching over the Sonys?

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back