MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 18, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #3,061 of 4,813
thanks for the feedback.  And how will you judge the isolation,  sound coming  in  and out (leaking)

Does seem to leak at all, but I do listen to softer music. I can hear a little bit of the noise in my living room. That's OK though, the primes did not give me enough situational awareness with my kids and wife:0

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #3,062 of 4,813
It's imaging capability is pretty much the reason I think it one of the best headphones closed or not you can get. The only headphones that better the ether in terms of imaging is the hd 800 and stax and IMO equals the he-1000. I prefer it over the similarly priced competitors like the hd 800S, beyer t1, hifiman edition x, Zmf OMNI and high end closed backs like the xc and th 900.
What does this mean, exactly? Would bass, or any sound in the frequency range, ever falsely to go sleep? Is this to describe that the bass is accurately resonated per the recording?

I think he means that despite the bass not being overpowering,  there is still enough quantity so it can be heard even when it not the focus of the song.

It's really a balance that few headphones are able to strike. 

While I love my ether c, I think the T1 has slightly better imaging, and the PMx2 by far has better imaging. Both are open, so that really says how good the ether c is compared to cans known for their great imaging.

Mar 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #3,063 of 4,813
Yup. Relic convinced me.

Quote:
Who me?

Don't blame me if you hate them, lol!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I will blame you if I don't like them!!! I bought a pair because of Relic also.

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #3,064 of 4,813
Been listening to the ether c out of my mojo for about an hour now. At this point it is a little light on mid bass for my tastes, but the subbass extension and texture is excellent. Using the white pad, top end is smooth and detail, very airy sound profile. Female voices are very rich and enticing. Soundstage is very good. If I get some more mid bass with burn in these might be the best headphone I have personally heard.

Comfort is outstanding. The primes were so hard for me to get sealed, and then felt awkward on my head. These things I just plot on and get comfort and a great seal, glasses and all!

Thanks relic, my wallet hates you but my heart adores you:)

I will blame you if I don't like them!!! I bought a pair because of Relic also.

Two of you?! I take no responsibility for your sonic preference. :D

I also found the mid bass to feel recessed and over time I've come to really appreciate the ETHER C more and more. Dan is 100% correct IMO about his V-Planar driver bass filling in over 150 hrs. They won't transform in to a different headphone, but it does fill in.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #3,065 of 4,813
Do you think Th900 is still king in terms of soundstage and imaging, after listening Ether C?

The TH900 has a wider soundstage, IIRC, but the Ether C is more capable at invoking a sense of depth. Imaging is Ether C all day. It is its best trait. TH900 is obviously well know for imaging as well, though I didn't get the same sense of wonder as I did with the Ether C.

Mad Lust Envy
What does this mean, exactly? Would bass, or any sound in the frequency range, ever falsely to go sleep? Is this to describe that the bass is accurately resonated per the recording?
Is this a positive or negative or neither? Does this help with the sibilance (track dependent) when not using tuning pads? Would the pair you had be better if the valley didn't exist?

I think the first question was answered, but yes I mean it that while the mid bass is quite reined in and not really highlighted in any way, it isn't deficient. Just keep in line with everything else. I could see this as a bit underperforming, especially if you're used to warmer headphones, but it isn't devoid of mid bass. As for the 7-8khz valley... it's both. 7-8khz is a problem area for many headphones in terms of ear shattering shrill, so a reduction here is a benefit, IMHO. I remember Philips making an intentional valley here on the X2 for the same reason. The Ether C's valley may be a bit too steep, but during normal listening sessions (as opposed to frequency tests), I don't notice it. Does it help with sibilance? I'd say yes, because that is a range that can get quite sibilant in many audio files with other headphones. The Ether C still has to deal with sibilance at 4-6khz, and 9-10khz+ so all sibilance isn't taken out, which is why tuning pads still help. Again, for the valley, I have a personal preference for warmth/reduction of the frequencies after 5khz, so the valley falls in line with personal preference. I'm more into musicality that utter detail, since utter detail usually comes with potential sibilance on many headphones.

Been listening to the ether c out of my mojo for about an hour now. At this point it is a little light on mid bass for my tastes, but the subbass extension and texture is excellent. Using the white pad, top end is smooth and detail, very airy sound profile. Female voices are very rich and enticing. Soundstage is very good. If I get some more mid bass with burn in these might be the best headphone I have personally heard. )

Good to see people's impressions fall in line with mine. I didn't really read up on Ether C impressions before or after my own time with them. Yes, mid bass is definitely something that people will find light if they're used to slight humps/warmth down low, but as you say, sub bass extension is excellent, as it SHOULD always be for planars.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #3,066 of 4,813
I am currently using pm-3 with chord mojo, I'm looking to upgrade to ether c, my music preference is metal first then other genres second, does ether c do great with metal(metallica, lamb of god, disturbed, evanescence, within temptation, etc)?

I am atm thinking twice bout buying the ether c since I don't hv time to audition ether c(I will soon) and also whether it will sound a lot better then the pm-3 mojo combo to justify the price(I also need to pay tax, it's killing me lol >_<) 

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #3,067 of 4,813
  I am currently using pm-3 with chord mojo, I'm looking to upgrade to ether c, my music preference is metal first then other genres second, does ether c do great with metal(metallica, lamb of god, disturbed, evanescence, within temptation, etc)?

I am atm thinking twice bout buying the ether c since I don't hv time to audition ether c(I will soon) and also whether it will sound a lot better then the pm-3 mojo combo to justify the price(I also need to pay tax, it's killing me lol >_<) 

I wish that I could truly answer this question, but rock is the last genre of music that I listen to. Occasionally I'll listen to some rock: Perfect Circe, Steven Wilson, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins etc. 

That being said, I have both headphones here. I feel confident stating that the Ether C is a substantial improvement across the entire spectrum. And it's not subtle. 

PM-3:

*good build quality

*pretty neutral and balanced overall signature

*highs are rolled off a touch/darker (this may be a plus for rock)

*bass response is pretty good but someone "one note" for a planar

*good mids with decent imaging

*staging is somewhat constricted, vocals and instruments can "blend" into a somewhat small sound stage

Ether C:

*build quality is top shelf and one of the best I've seen

*also pretty neutral signature with more linear bass response-can go much deeper and have better texture than pm-3

*treble is not as dark as pm-3, but I find it has good extension but is presented with refinement and is never harsh or etchy

*very good mids with much better tonal accuracy than most any closed headphone I've listened to

*staging and imaging are the best I've heard from a closed headphone, period. There is a very natural sound stage with good separation of vocals and instruments

I'm confident recommended the Ether C as a natural upgrade over the pm-3. I just don't listen to the same music that you do, so I can't compare specific tracks for unfamiliar music. Lastly, the sound of the pm-3 is "locked in," where the pads are glued down and are not user replaceable. Ether C has several ways to tune the sound to your liking without knowing anything about modding and pads are easily replaced. I like to keep the pm-3 around because it's good as a portable planar and is driven well from my HTC phone. 

Feel free to ask specific questions if you want. 

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #3,068 of 4,813

I don't listen to metal, but....

... ”Better".... What's better to you? Do you like a smoother treble with a mid bass emphasis, or do you prefer faster drivers, great soundstage for closed headphones, and a more linear response? The ETHER C will reveal more in your recording (for good and bad - watch out for some of those metal songs mastering). What is your sonic preference?

Looking at your list of headphones I'd say that you'll need a little adjustment to the ETHER C's signature as most of them are somewhat warm coloured. The ETHER C is more accurate than the PM-3.

At any rate, pay your taxes first. :wink:

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #3,069 of 4,813

I wish that I could truly answer this question, but rock is the last genre of music that I listen to. Occasionally I'll listen to some rock: Perfect Circe, Steven Wilson, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins etc. 

That being said, I have both headphones here. I feel confident stating that the Ether C is a substantial improvement across the entire spectrum. And it's not subtle. 

PM-3:

*good build quality

*pretty neutral and balanced overall signature

*highs are rolled off a touch/darker (this may be a plus for rock)

*bass response is pretty good but someone "one note" for a planar

*good mids with decent imaging

*staging is somewhat constricted, vocals and instruments can "blend" into a somewhat small sound stage

Ether C:

*build quality is top shelf and one of the best I've seen

*also pretty neutral signature with more linear bass response-can go much deeper and have better texture than pm-3

*treble is not as dark as pm-3, but I find it has good extension but is presented with refinement and is never harsh or etchy

*very good mids with much better tonal accuracy than most any closed headphone I've listened to

*staging and imaging are the best I've heard from a closed headphone, period. There is a very natural sound stage with good separation of vocals and instruments

I'm confident recommended the Ether C as a natural upgrade over the pm-3. I just don't listen to the same music that you do, so I can't compare specific tracks for unfamiliar music. Lastly, the sound of the pm-3 is "locked in," where the pads are glued down and are not user replaceable. Ether C has several ways to tune the sound to your liking without knowing anything about modding and pads are easily replaced. I like to keep the pm-3 around because it's good as a portable planar and is driven well from my HTC phone. 

Feel free to ask specific questions if you want. 

lol, I do feel that it will be better considering the price difference, based on what you said it looks like ether c is better then pm-3 in every way, thx for you opinion man ^_^

btw I listen to perfect circle and nirvana too, they are awesome but recently I really got hooked by lamb of god hahaha

I will make an audition soon before I make the swap

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #3,070 of 4,813
I don't listen to metal, but....

... ”Better".... What's better to you? Do you like a smoother treble with a mid bass emphasis, or do you prefer faster drivers, great soundstage for closed headphones, and a more linear response? The ETHER C will reveal more in your recording (for good and bad - watch out for some of those metal songs mastering). What is your sonic preference?

Looking at your list of headphones I'd say that you'll need a little adjustment to the ETHER C's signature as most of them are somewhat warm coloured. The ETHER C is more accurate than the PM-3.

At any rate, pay your taxes first.
wink.gif

I normally like a touch of warm for my headphone and always prefer closed back then open(tried open back in the form of Fidelio x2, just didn't work for me because of the lack of isolation), but recently after listening to pm-3 mojo for awhile I'm craving for more details, soundstage, and better resolution where possible, ether c seems perfect for me based on what people say. the Pm-3 sounds a bit constricted for me after a while, and I crave more details nowadays. 

You are 100% correct regarding the metal songs mastering problems, a bit worrying but I'll know after the audition, I recently listened to testament albums, the mastering bug me a lot, not to mention other bands also has similar problems such as slayer.

very excited to hear ether c with mojo.

as for the tax, it is just sad, it's like 15% or something plus the crazy conversion rate from USD to AUD, it is hard having this hobby T_T in this country

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #3,071 of 4,813
Relic makes some good points. Much of the music that I listen to is very well recorded. And the Ether C can be very revealing. Not anything like the hd800 but certainly more than the pm-3. Hd650 is known to be very forgiving and good for rock. Anyway Perfect Circle and Nirvana sound great on Ether C...

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #3,072 of 4,813
  Relic makes some good points. Much of the music that I listen to is very well recorded. And the Ether C can be very revealing. Not anything like the hd800 but certainly more than the pm-3. Hd650 is known to be very forgiving and good for rock. Anyway Perfect Circle and Nirvana sound great on Ether C...

definitely won't like it if its super revealing like hd800, it doesn't sound very musical to me, I'm craving more from pm-3 atm, hopefully the ether c will have the right balance.

hd650 is a nice headphone but open backed design just doesn't work for me, there are lots of noise coming out from where I live, including 1 of them is from my roommate who likes to listen to rap music from a cheap speaker, if I use open backed all his noise will be able to come in freely and destroy my music, rather stick with pm-3 in this case.

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #3,073 of 4,813
Listening to this very anti-metal track right now with the ETHER C and the Mojo. The bells, the xylophone, the synth, the bass, the texture, the space... sounds fantastic! I bought this CD in the 90's when it was released and I've never heard it sound so good. I listen to a lot of genres.

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zvJbKsisKGM[/VIDEO]

Crappy YouTube quality....

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #3,074 of 4,813
Listening to this very anti-metal track right now with the ETHER C and the Mojo. The bells, the xylophone, the synth, the bass, the texture, the space... sounds fantastic! I bought this CD in the 90's when it was released and I've never heard it sound so good. I listen to a lot of genres.

Crappy YouTube quality....

That's a nice music right there, I heard this artist before (different songs though), lol I was only a baby at that time, for some reason I feel like I get it when you say it sound so good with ether c.

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #3,075 of 4,813
I would say if your main diet is metal the ether c is not the way to go. Ether c is very revealing and neutral, metal compressed music will sound like it was recorded - crappy. Also, ime metal does not need a super expensive headphone to get the best out of. Pm3 will fully be revealing metal to you, the upgrade to ether c not worth it.

That being said, for other genres (especially acoustic stuff) with well recorded music the ether c is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back