MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jan 31, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #2,266 of 4,813
Hi guys, just about to buy some ether cs. I'm just wondering do you think the Sony nw-zx2 could drive the ether cs well? Or is it worth it to shell out a decent £400 for an amp? I'm going sleep, been up too long looking at reviews etc XD Thanks

At 15mW on the Sony I'd want something with some more juice to drive the ETHER C's.

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #2,267 of 4,813
Jan 31, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #2,268 of 4,813
Which is best. Black black white? White Blake black? Or Oreo, black white black?

I felt like white-black-black and black-black-white are very similar and both are better than oreo.
I didn't think too much of the sparkle from the top end are lost either with this setup.  I'll use white-black-black mainly because I like seeing black in the cup rather than white.

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #2,269 of 4,813
Hi guys, just about to buy some ether cs. I'm just wondering do you think the Sony nw-zx2 could drive the ether cs well? Or is it worth it to shell out a decent £400 for an amp? I'm going sleep, been up too long looking at reviews etc XD Thanks

Sony ZX2 does drive them. But you'll gain a lot with a decent amp, so I'd say it's totally worth it!

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #2,271 of 4,813
Thanks for your input all btw. But have you tried the ether cs driven through the zx2 with and without an external amp? If so, what's your findings?

I have tried it directly through the ZX2 and with ZX2-Liquid Carbon-Ether C.
It's hard to describe with words. It was an amazing headphone with the ZX2. It had details, sounded good actually. But after reading about the Ether C I felt that has to be more.

With the LC it just sounds amazing, more clarity, more authority - I don't miss bass at all with the LC in between. It was kind like stepping up from 750 dollar HP to 1500 dollar HP :)

And now I am wondering what a DAC like the Yggy could improve :wink:

Hope it helps, sorry for the lousy comparison. I hope you still get what I tried to say!

Rock on

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #2,272 of 4,813
Aaaaahhh ok, so ye ill probably get an amp then if I go with them. Sorry but ooonnne more question XD Does the amp kinda change the sound signature at all or even slightly? And does the change compliment? Thanks your help btw

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #2,273 of 4,813
Aaaaahhh ok, so ye ill probably get an amp then if I go with them. Sorry but ooonnne more question XD Does the amp kinda change the sound signature at all or even slightly? And does the change compliment? Thanks your help btw

It's still the same headphone, if you mean that. In my oppinion the bass really changed, a lot more pressure behind it. If you have the chance, you should go audition it with and without amp!

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #2,274 of 4,813
Ye that's what I basically meant mate, just started listening to my Mavericks and I think I'll hold out for a deal that I know is good. They're just so good XD Rather wait for a deal that I know is good for me rather than straight up buying one ( the curse of being a tight so and so ) XD Thanks for your opinions though, helped me alot

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #2,275 of 4,813
  mmm.......Wywires Red is the lochness in my part of the ocean. The local authorized dealer (as listed in the manufacturer's website)  here does not respond to queries (and I've tried many times). Would love to have that cable for my good headphones, including my Ether (O). :frowning2: 

Hello,

Sorry that the dealer has not responded. He will receive an angry email from me very shortly. In the meantime, you can order direct from the factory and we ship to the Philippines regularly. Please check our website for our contact information in Los Angeles. Sorry you are having a frustrating experience.

Alex

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #2,276 of 4,813
Ahhh....  finally enjoying my new ETHER-C headphones here.

Initial impressions, a mere 30 minutes in:

- Extreme comfort.
- Bass is definitely there, but it stands to open up a bit more in a couple hundred hours.  This talk of "no bass" is a great exaggeration.
- Smooth and sweet midrange.  Though not totally neutral.  A bit forward in the mids, which makes them more involving than a purely neutral rendition would be.
- Need to look at the frequency response graph.  I'm sensing a few peaks and valleys.  Nothing offensive.  They add some (attractive) color.
- Impressive staging for a closed back.
- Quite resolving.  More fine detail than my HD600.  

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #2,278 of 4,813
  Speaking of breaking in... does it matter whether or not I use an amp?  I was contemplating just connecting them up to an old iPhone and a headphone break in app.  Something that does a mix of pink noise and sweeps?  

I've typically used "music" at louder than comfortable listening level.  Not as in desk top speaker loud.  As in, I put them on, crank up the volume to just a bit below "rip them off my head 'cause its too loud" volume and set the "Lossless - Good" playlist on shuffle/repeat and let it run.  I use an amp, 'cause I just use my rig.  I think if a phone will get to louder than comfort volume, it's a good choice.  I've also considered plugging it into the HP out of my Peachtree "do it all" Nova and just turning on a decent FM station (edit - there's a tuner in the chain there somewhere, Nova doesn't have a tuner built in.  Do it almost all...)

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #2,280 of 4,813
It was more whether or not it needed to have a full headphone amp?  Or if a phone was just fine?

I bet the idea was to tell you that your phone probably won't be able to play at louder than comfortable levels.

Actually I don't really get why you wouldn't just listen to the headphones and enjoy how they sound and how they evolve... I believe they were made to be listened to. Why skip the interesting part? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back