MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Dec 24, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #1,816 of 4,813
You said the key "*appears* more detailed". My ears like a little extra presence up around 8Khz, so I know where you're coming from. If you EQ 8KHz up a bit you'll suddenly find there isn't a problem with resolution there - its mostly a trick of frequency response. I'm using the white tuning pads with EQ there and it sounds right for my ears and preferences.

I heard the same thing concerning the reverbs-they were much shorter with the pads, both the stock pads inside and the tuning pads. When I removed them everything sounded more spread out. I don't think there is a way of measuring reverb tails, but just boosting treble with EQ doesn't solve it.

My solution came by 1st removing all the pads, then EQ'ing to my preferences. 

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #1,817 of 4,813
Ok, not ready to go the mod route yet. I want to give it a chance and listen to as many types of music in stock form before I decide and make a change (mod or EQ). Anyway, I don't expect it to sound like HD800. As a closed-back lightweight headphone, I still enjoy how it sounds. I guess those who find HD800 very bright or peaky is very much at home with the stock C.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #1,819 of 4,813
Anyone else having an issue with their DUM cable? Mine is fraying a few inches below the ear cup connector.

Not I. I've only had mine since Monday. After finishing my own cable a few minutes ago, I had much trouble getting that crimp ring to secure the para-cord much less the wires so I can see where it could come lose. I'm considering adding some JB Weld to mine to get a more secure mechanical connection there, I haven't decided yet.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,820 of 4,813
  I have the Ether C for 5 days now. Each day spending around 5 - 6 hours listening on average. Last night I did a quick comparison between C and HD800. So far the most obvious difference is in the sub bass. The C can extend really low especially on music with lots of bass detail (e.g. Daft Punk). I can feel the thump in my chest. This headphone resolves sub bass details with authority and grit. 

However, that is the only thing so far I find the Ether C superior over the HD800. The overall staging in HD800 like the width, depth and instrument separation is well defined compared to Ether C. HD800 gives a better perception of a 3D space than the C. IMO micro details are also resolved better by HD800. For music which has a lot of data in the upper treble area (8Khz and above) like some R.E.M. songs the HD800 sounds very clear and appear more detailed than the C.

I notice that reverbs on cymbal crashes is very quick to none existent on C. As if when you hit the cymbal it stops very quicky while in HD800 I can hear the reverb fade in the background naturally. I will do more comparison when the C had more time to burn in my head. 
biggrin.gif

I used Hugo as the DAC/amp for the comparison.

Thanks for the feedback, but what about the greatest weakness of the HD800 - the unnatural sound? How does the Ether C compare in this regard?

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,821 of 4,813
  Thanks for the feedback, but what about the greatest weakness of the HD800 - the unnatural sound? How does the Ether C compare in this regard?

That's subjective.........

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,822 of 4,813
Picked up my Cs this afternoon. No burn in yet. Sound great on te Liquid Carbon already. I was hoping that they would pair well with my Feliks Elise, but alas, they just don't have enough resistance. My lcds handle the Elise well, but the Ethers are just a trainwreck wih the Elise. Too bad because it's my favorite amp by far.

Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with my Ether Cs, Liquid Carbon, and Hegel dac.

Life is good.:)

Dec 24, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,824 of 4,813
Dec 25, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #1,825 of 4,813
  I have the Ether C for 5 days now. Each day spending around 5 - 6 hours listening on average. Last night I did a quick comparison between C and HD800. So far the most obvious difference is in the sub bass. The C can extend really low especially on music with lots of bass detail (e.g. Daft Punk). I can feel the thump in my chest. This headphone resolves sub bass details with authority and grit. 

However, that is the only thing so far I find the Ether C superior over the HD800. The overall staging in HD800 like the width, depth and instrument separation is well defined compared to Ether C. HD800 gives a better perception of a 3D space than the C. IMO micro details are also resolved better by HD800. For music which has a lot of data in the upper treble area (8Khz and above) like some R.E.M. songs the HD800 sounds very clear and appear more detailed than the C.

I notice that reverbs on cymbal crashes is very quick to none existent on C. As if when you hit the cymbal it stops very quicky while in HD800 I can hear the reverb fade in the background naturally. I will do more comparison when the C had more time to burn in my head. 
biggrin.gif

I used Hugo as the DAC/amp for the comparison

Doing a serious comparison after a mere 25-30 hours of burn in?  And against an HD800 no less. Why bother? Dan himself has stated emphatically several times that the Ether C needs 100+ hours of burn in, and there have been many posts about the need for burn in that amount or even more. There was a recent post where someone stated he say improvements up to 200 hours.  The sound improves dramatically during these longer periods.

Sorry but your results have to be considered spurious until additional burn-in is conducted.

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,826 of 4,813
  Doing a serious comparison after a mere 25-30 hours of burn in?  And against an HD800 no less. Why bother? Dan himself has stated emphatically several times that the Ether C needs 100+ hours of burn in, and there have been many posts about the need for burn in that amount or even more. There was a recent post where someone stated he say improvements up to 200 hours.  The sound improves dramatically during these longer periods.

Sorry but your results have to be considered spurious until additional burn-in is conducted.

I will definitely repeat that test after 200+ hours  burn in. So far to me what is spurious is the claim of  "DRAMATIC" change after burn in which always tend to tilt in favor of sound getting better.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #1,827 of 4,813
  I will definitely repeat that test after 200+ hours  burn in. So far to me what is spurious is the claim of  "DRAMATIC" change after burn in which always tend to tilt in favor of sound getting better.

I'm sure there may be but I am not aware of any headphones that sound bad/worse after xxx number of hours of burn in.

It would really suck if it was known that after xxx number of hours of use the headphone all of a sudden sounded like schiit. I could just see it if supposedly the holly grail for sound was obtained in a headphone but after xxx number of hours that sound went away. People would hoard their headphone and protect it like a hawk and not use it but sparingly and only on special occasions. 
rolleyes.gif
 (Sarcasm alert)

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,828 of 4,813
This headphone is not like other headphones because of the v-planar driver processing, it does improve as it burns in and it takes 100-200 hours. By design.

That said, will it ever outdo the soundstage of the open headphone that is generally perceived as having the biggest soundstage? Probably not for most people! But it obviously does other things an open can't. The fact that one can compare it to the soundstage of open TOTL cans at all is what I was shooting for in the design.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 26, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #1,830 of 4,813
Can this headphone be burned in if left plugged into a digital radio at the mains for few days,or is better out a CD player or anything else?
Thanks.

yes.  play at loud but not insane levels.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back