MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jul 20, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #4,456 of 4,813
Jul 20, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #4,457 of 4,813

I'll link it for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. They sound better in my opinion. I wouldn't have thought it would have made that much of a difference but it does. Thanks again for the idea. All I had to do was sacrifice parts off of a pair of Mad Dogs..! 
o2smile.gif

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #4,458 of 4,813
Thanks. They sound better in my opinion. I wouldn't have thought it would have made that much of a difference but it does. Thanks again for the idea. All I had to do was sacrifice parts off of a pair of Mad Dogs..! :o2smile:

Pads, or more specifically the seal and distance from the ears and internal reflections, have quite an effect on the sound as the others have said.

:beerchug:

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #4,459 of 4,813
  I know that everyone hears things differently and has different tastes, but I really personally can't imagine how much bass one would need to have if the C's are thought by some to have "no bass"? So count me in to find out what headphones would provide the desired levels of lows. Not being critical, just highly curious. I own both the C's and also the LCD-3's (can't say the big Audeze's are often called bass-light IME) and love the lows on both. The C's are not overpowering, but to my ear are highly resolving and musical, especially for a closed HP. 

Maybe it's sub-bass people are talking about?

Thinking back on it one of the only HP's I've ever had really "rattle my head" so to speak due to the levels of bass (outside of the Audeze LCD-X's) were the FAD Sonorous X's. That was some impressive bass IMHO, but also come with a ~$5K price-tag.

Cheers and happy listening to all 

I came from the LCD-X's and I can agree these are definitely bass light but I would not say the have “no bass”... My issue is I can’t seem to find a headphone that works right for me lol…. The LCD-X’s sounded perfect on the bottom end but the upper mids and treble was all over the place (also way to friggin heavy).. The HD800S’s sounded fantastic in the upper octaves but left much to be desired in the bottom end and were not very EQ-able.,.  I don’t trust Hifiman’s soooooo I gave these a try. The treble and mids sounded great to me (actually perfect) which isn’t an easy task for planars.. The bass is relatively easy for me to fix to, with the low distortion of planars. To top it off they are closed and I use my headphones both at home (4 kids) and at work. 

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #4,460 of 4,813
I think systems77 would have been happier with the Alpha Primes- love the bass of the APs. I am not in a hurry to upgrade my APs yet mostly because of fear i will loose some of the AP wonderful bass, but i know a lot of prior AP owners upgraded to Ether-c and are really happy. I guess they are not for everybody- i also have the new Sines and they also have nice bass.

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #4,461 of 4,813
Maybe something like the Fostex TH-X00 (mahogany or purpleheart) which is the best bass centric with decently wide soundstage i've listened to in some time or maybe something simple like the HifiMan HE560 with slight equalizer bump on the low end (which works really really well).

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #4,462 of 4,813
Here's the final verdict. These headphones don't work for me and here's why: To get the full sound spectrum I have painful amounts of high end. They are just way too top heavy and lows seem to be an after thought. Way too thin for my taste. If anyone is interested in essentially a new pair of C's with the original box and accessories PM me. They sat and were burned in on an ODAC for 150 hours. Thanks everyone for the help, feedback and assistance. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #4,463 of 4,813
Made some adjustments to my EQ settings.. This time based them on multiple measurements from around the web.. this cleans up the bass a little more than the first one while giving the sound a little more slam and a little less decay. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #4,464 of 4,813
  Maybe something like the Fostex TH-X00 (mahogany or purpleheart) which is the best bass centric with decently wide soundstage i've listened to in some time or maybe something simple like the HifiMan HE560 with slight equalizer bump on the low end (which works really really well).

Or (and I hate to be that guy in the MrSpeaker thread BUT...) check out the ZMF Omni.  They're semi-open so not the most isolating but much better than a normal open headphone for isolation.  Very bassy but clean planar bass.

I think overall the Ether C is a superior headphone.  But if you find it to be bass light and the EQ isn't working for you, the ZMF is a nice option.

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #4,465 of 4,813
  There's no cable in the world that will increase bass by audible levels... Pads alter the sound WAY more drastically and also are cheaper.

Agreed, but my cable was actually broken and I lost ALL bass because of it. Rob Watts from Chord 1st heard it, also Tom Francis from Scan.co.uk, then Mark Dolbear from from Electromod confirmed it. I recorded samples with a binaural mic and sent it to Dan, and he replaced the cable. Case solved, bass returned.
  Yeah as soon as I feel like wasting another 200 bucks on these.... let's assume I get there - what cable brands do you recommend? 

Any cable from Mr. Speakers will do, DUM and stock cables both work fine for me. My cable didn't have bass because it was broken. I'm a DJ and I'm extremely tough on cables, mine was broken. In your case yours may just have a short or a rare defect.

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #4,467 of 4,813

Agreed, but my cable was actually broken and I lost ALL bass because of it. Rob Watts from Chord 1st heard it, also Tom Francis from Scan.co.uk, then Mark Dolbear from from Electromod confirmed it. I recorded samples with a binaural mic and sent it to Dan, and he replaced the cable. Case solved, bass returned.

Any cable from Mr. Speakers will do, DUM and stock cables both work fine for me. My cable didn't have bass because it was broken. I'm a DJ and I'm extremely tough on cables, mine was broken. In your case yours may just have a short or a rare defect.

something like that happened to me with a different cable. When i open it and check it I realized the channels were soldered out of phase at the connectors which will cancel the bass.

Is very easy to check. Just need a voltmeter set in the impedance setting to check continuity. Make sure the left positiive corresponds to the tip of the TRS connector, the right positive to the Ring and both negatives to the sleeve. If one of the positives shows continuity at the sleeve then you have that channel out of phase and will cancel the bass.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 21, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #4,468 of 4,813
  something like that happened to me with a different cable. When i open it and check it I realized the channels were soldered out of phase at the connectors which will cancel the bass.

Is very easy to check. Just need a voltmeter set in the impedance setting to check continuity. Make sure the left positiive corresponds to the tip of the TRS connector, the right positive to the Ring and both negatives to the sleeve. If one of the positives shows continuity at the sleeve then you have that channel out of phase and will cancel the bass.

And that's exactly what happened to me. I don't subscribe at all to the theory of cable quality changing the sound-even slightly. However, when I compared my Ether C to other Ether Cs with Mark Dolbear something was definitely different about mine. Rob Watts commented on it 1st when I was testing Chord gear at the Headroom London 2016 event. 

My Ether C had absolutely no bass. 

At 1st I though it may have been the adapter but upon further investigation Mark confirmed it was the cable, changed it, and my bass returned.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #4,469 of 4,813
  Made some adjustments to my EQ settings.. This time based them on multiple measurements from around the web.. this cleans up the bass a little more than the first one while giving the sound a little more slam and a little less decay. 

where's the config file you made? How do I download it? I checked your profile and didn't see any links. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back