MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jul 21, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #4,471 of 4,813
Going by my experience with an out of phase cable, I couldn't even EQ bass in without distorting

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #4,474 of 4,813
Verdict: I'm using a Sager Laptop with Soundblaster X-fi 5 --> optical out to a mojo using two different cords to eliminate a bad cord. I have the alpha pads on and listening to Bassnectar. The bass is laughable. I'm going to get banned from this site for my opinions but it's just bad. Painfully loud mid and highs to get decent lows... or I get to sit and tweak and adjust. I want to hear the raw audio from the artist/producer not manipulate it to get the lows. Honestly, I perceive the hype and the fact that people spent 1500.00 on these cans creates the cognitive dissonance that these headphones sound acceptable. It's a lot of hype in my very humble opinion. Snake oil. I haven't paid a single red cent to this site so I suspect in short order those that have will silence me.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #4,475 of 4,813
  Verdict: I'm using a Sager Laptop with Soundblaster X-fi 5 --> optical out to a mojo using two different cords to eliminate a bad cord. I have the alpha pads on and listening to Bassnectar. The bass is laughable. I'm going to get banned from this site for my opinions but it's just bad. Painfully loud mid and highs to get decent lows... or I get to sit and tweak and adjust. I want to hear the raw audio from the artist/producer not manipulate it to get the lows. Honestly, I perceive the hype and the fact that people spent 1500.00 on these cans creates the cognitive dissonance that these headphones sound acceptable. It's a lot of hype in my very humble opinion. Snake oil. I haven't paid a single red cent to this site so I suspect in short order those that have will silence me.

Well I don’t know what to tell you man, you say ”I want to hear the raw audio from the artist/producer”. IMHO the Ether C is pretty neutral (maybe just a bit lean on the mid-bass, which I have provided an EQ setting for).. Sadly what you are hearing is more than likely what the artist/producer did intend and you simply want something else.  There is nothing wrong with that, lots of people are bassheads.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #4,476 of 4,813
  Well I don’t know what to tell you man, you say ”I want to hear the raw audio from the artist/producer”. IMHO the Ether C is pretty neutral (maybe just a bit lean on the mid-bass, which I have provided an EQ setting for).. Sadly what you are hearing is more than likely what the artist/producer did intend and you simply want something else.  There is nothing wrong with that, lots of people are bassheads.

If that were true all my other gear would be playing back the audio incorrectly. I'm not going to bore you with listing my hardware and different gear... even on other Mr. Speakers gear the lows\bass is better. These are thin. It's reasonable to conclude from the Flow evolution others may have had the same opinion. 1500 bucks later -- tthpt thhpt thhpt bass and 'damn that hurts' mids/highs. To each their own right? To me you have to talk yourself into liking these so as to not feel like a sucker for buying into the hype 

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #4,477 of 4,813
  If that were true all my other gear would be playing back the audio incorrectly. I'm not going to bore you with listing my hardware and different gear... even on other Mr. Speakers gear the lows\bass is better. These are thin. It's reasonable to conclude from the Flow evolution others may have had the same opinion.

what other gear?

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #4,479 of 4,813
If that were true all my other gear would be playing back the audio incorrectly. I'm not going to bore you with listing my hardware and different gear... even on other Mr. Speakers gear the lows\bass is better. These are thin. It's reasonable to conclude from the Flow evolution others may have had the same opinion. 1500 bucks later -- tthpt thhpt thhpt bass and 'damn that hurts' mids/highs. To each their own right? To me you have to talk yourself into liking these so as to not feel like a sucker for buying into the hype 

not an ether C owner, but having spent a few hours auditioning them using a mojo, I find it to be leaner than my audeze LCD Xs, though not "no bass".

if you MAY want to check the following

A) there are two pieces of material that goes directly in front of the driver before the pad goes on;

B) you should also have 3 additional pieces of material(s) that could be used inside the earpads to both increase the bass quantity and damp the upper mids - mid treble;

C) assuming that both A and B are in place, but it's still too bass light, you should either sell them or compare it to another pair of ether Cs if there are dealers where you live.

I could imagine the frustration you must be having.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #4,480 of 4,813
  To each their own right? To me you have to talk yourself into liking these so as to not feel like a sucker for buying into the hype 

Well if it is all just hype there are a lot of us that have been in this game a long time that are apparently suckers...

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #4,482 of 4,813
  To each their own right? To me you have to talk yourself into liking these so as to not feel like a sucker for buying into the hype 

Not that I wanna be "that guy" but are you sure you want to be questioning people's opinions to that point on a subjective matter such as music and associated gear? Same can be said for anyone that likes/dislikes any headphones. I love the AQ NightHawks, I know many others who do and pretty much as many others who hate them. Not for one second would I ever think the people that hate them (I'm sure @Stillhart could chime in here) think I'm just forcing myself to like them to not feel like a "sucker" for buying headphones from a company that makes 5 thousand dollar HDMI cables.

I personally cannot stand the sound of the higher end super bright Ultrasone/grado headphones out of most gear (much like Tyll) but I understand some people do enjoy that sound signature and I believe them when they say they have fun listening to their $2k Edition 10s. The Ethers are universally liked, even the couple people I've seen say they dislike some aspects to them (such as being slightly bass-light or too bright with no tuning pads, etc) see the worth in what they do correctly, one cannot have delusions of grandeur to the point where anyone that does not abhor the same things as you or I is the delusional one buying into snake oil and thus labelled a fool or an idiot. If I did own the Ethers I would not feel even remotely offended by this but respect is important.

I don't understand why you feel the need to put push for no reason, you said it yourself you'll get banned from the forums for voicing your opinion and whilst I very much doubt that'd happen I also think you should mind your wording because your opinion is not at fault here, your way mentality when it comes to expressing it and the unwillingness to accept the fact other people can like polar opposites of you is what comes across as crass.

PS: I've never even listened to either of the Ether headphones though I have a lot of respect for Mr.Speakers so I'm 100% unbiased.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #4,483 of 4,813
  I'd link to NWAV but I think that mentality gets banned around here.
http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

For someone who just joined yesterday, you seem to have a pretty good grasp of all the behaviors that can get one in trouble.

Look, if you don't like the headphone, get a different one.  There's no need to insinuate that the thousands of people who own and love the Ether C somehow are deluded.  And even if we are deluded, what's it to you?  Is it so painful for you to see other people happy?  Let it go.  Return the headphone (or resell it or whatever) and buy something you'll like better.  I promise to be happy for you when you find something just right for you. 

beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #4,484 of 4,813

Hahaha, this made me laugh, sorry, I feel your pain though. 1500 bucks is hard cash, it is not the kind of money you would easily spend on another flavor, an alternative sound (like I did on the BeoPlay H6 - leaner bass than I am used to - but for a much lower price).1500 bucks should me more or less end-game material. Still to call them snake oil is just a bridge too far, but I can understand your frustration :)

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #4,485 of 4,813
Might be because I'm just used to it now but I don't really have any problems with the bass. All I do is listen to electronic music and even with bass-heavy genres the bass seems to be enough for me. I only use the 1.1 foam, no pads. Though soon upgrading to the Flow version I'm sure I would like the more mid bass thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back