MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Sep 1, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #361 of 4,813
Our distributor will be handling Germany, Higoto.  I'll be at Tokyo with our new distributor Emilai.

Will keep this in mind, sincerely hope I get to meet up with you at Tokyo.

By the way, Hong Kong is a good location, don't miss this out and find a rep as soon as possible, I am sure you'll be well received. :wink:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 1, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #362 of 4,813
The person filling in for Tyl was Anaxilus, the HD800 Mod Guy. He does know a thing or two about headphones, no need to disparage him for expressing his thoughts.

Oh, that guy. Well that explains everything...

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #363 of 4,813
  There were definitely some parts of his write up that varied DRASTICALLY from what I heard.  I are confused.  
confused.gif

Guess we'll have to wait for more folks' impressions.

Don't be confused.  Everyone hears differently so go with what YOU hear and like.

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #364 of 4,813
  There were definitely some parts of his write up that varied DRASTICALLY from what I heard.  I are confused.  
confused.gif

Guess we'll have to wait for more folks' impressions.

Remember that time when I said that the HE-1K didn't sound as good as it was made out to be? 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing the Ether C soon. Maybe I should book a ticket to RMAF. I missed out on so much during summer vacation.

During that time, I found the Oppo PM-3 to somehow match my taste well (weird, as I didn't get that when I listened to them at Wikia), so right now it's my closed-back reference, but I'm always open to other options.

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #365 of 4,813

Remember that time when I said that the HE-1K didn't sound as good as it was made out to be? 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing the Ether C soon. Maybe I should book a ticket to RMAF. I missed out on so much during summer vacation.

During that time, I found the Oppo PM-3 to somehow match my taste well (weird, as I didn't get that when I listened to them at Wikia), so right now it's my closed-back reference, but I'm always open to other options.

I trust your ears, even though we have different tastes.  But when I think the Ether C has more bass than the Ether and someone else is saying the opposite, that's a problem.  It's one thing to disagree about minutiae, but any non-audiophile can wear two headphones and tell you which has more bass.

Oh and if you do go to RAMF, we'll have to grab another drink.  
beerchug.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #366 of 4,813

I trust your ears, even though we have different tastes.  But when I think the Ether C has more bass than the Ether and someone else is saying the opposite, that's a problem.  It's one thing to disagree about minutiae, but any non-audiophile can wear two headphones and tell you which has more bass.

Oh and if you do go to RAMF, we'll have to grab another drink.  
beerchug.gif

I've gotta listen to the Ether C to tell. To my ears, the Ether didn't have that much bass at all. Its bass was decent out of my amp, but still, some other headphones (HE-560, LCD-2, HE-1K, etc...) easily surpass it in terms of bass impact IMO. So I'm reasonably assuming the Ether C won't have much of an issue surpassing the bass impact of the Ether.

Now... what I'm suspecting may be the case is that... in general, closed-back headphones tend to have some reflections around the upper mids that can cause the overall sound to become thinner. Coupled with an amp that has superb bass control that doesn't have much decay, this may make the overall sound signature to be thinner than it should be, and in this sense, the Ether C may sound "thin" rather than being the full-bodied masterpiece that it could be. This all has to do with decay and such, and I know some amps intentionally mess with this in order to present a different kind of bass than usual.

I just got back from Vietnam, and I heard a rig on which the HD650 was superbly neutral, with just the right amount of everything, but then all other headphones sounded thin and very anemic, bordering on bright and unlistenable on that rig. So... yeah. 
redface.gif

Anywho, I'm thinking about it. RMAF seems like the right occasion for me to test out the rest of the stuffs I haven't listened to (I hope an Orpheus will be there), and plus I'm hoping to meet with some folks from Sennheiser and Oppo. :wink:

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #367 of 4,813
Hey Bill-P happy to read about your return, the 560 Thread just wasn't the same:beers:.

I share your thoughts on the Ether, not a significant step up from the 560. Now, don't agree with your HEK thoughts, it's one of the best available. Welcome back!

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #369 of 4,813
I don't follow InnerFidelity closely, so I hadn't seen the Ether C update when it was posted as part of the Schiit Show coverage. Personally, no matter how I demo the HD800, it's never struck a chord with me on any level. It's my opinion that the Ether spanks the HD800. I think the Ether's bass is exceptional, and the headphone doesn't leave anything to be desired in the imaging. The HD800 does have a bit more detail, but it's more than I prefer. I know Mike has his preferences, but they are definitely not in-line with my own. I cannot comment on the Ether C, as I won't get a chance to demo a pair until RAMF next month.

Full disclosure, I've owned almost every headphone MrSpeakers has released, save for the Primes. It shouldn't be a surprise that I love the way Dan voices his headphones. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #370 of 4,813
Full disclosure, I've owned almost every headphone MrSpeakers has released, save for the Primes. It shouldn't be a surprise that I love the way Dan voices his headphones. 

I'm looking forward to comparing Ether-C to my Alpha Primes.  Dan tells me I should expect the Ether-C to be: faster throughout the spectrum, a more lively and present upper-midrange, bigger soundstage, more detail and air up top, and reduced distortion through the whole spectrum.  I love the sound of the Primes, so if this is accurate I should be falling over myself with the E-C.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #371 of 4,813
My experience with the Ether's bass is that, if youre not exactly satisfied with it, you are leaning towards more being a basshead and the Ether C will definitely suit you. EDMs on Ether C's are beyond terrific. I found the soundstage to be almost similar (Dan explained why the C might have a bigger one to me but it didnt feel that way although it wasnt an entirely quiet room). Honestly I would be happy to get either but prefer the opens due to the straight pads. Though Dan has told me that hes considering giving us an option about the pads.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #372 of 4,813
  My experience with the Ether's bass is that, if youre not exactly satisfied with it, you are leaning towards more being a basshead and the Ether C will definitely suit you. EDMs on Ether C's are beyond terrific. I found the soundstage to be almost similar (Dan explained why the C might have a bigger one to me but it didnt feel that way although it wasnt an entirely quiet room). Honestly I would be happy to get either but prefer the opens due to the straight pads. Though Dan has told me that hes considering giving us an option about the pads.

That is not really true IMO. I think that the Ether's bass does have room for improvement in terms of tightness, decay, impact, and textural resolution. That being said, the bass on the Ether is not bad in comparison to other hi-end models and can be quite enjoyable, but I can see certain members coming from other headphone backgrounds not being satisfied with the Ether's bass quality without wanting a more bass emphasis.

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #373 of 4,813
  That is not really true IMO. I think that the Ether's bass does have room for improvement in terms of tightness, decay, impact, and textural resolution. That being said, the bass on the Ether is not bad in comparison to other hi-end models and can be quite enjoyable, but I can see certain members coming from other headphone backgrounds not being satisfied with the Ether's bass quality without wanting a more bass emphasis.

That is fair. I just found that the bass is just right for me, and I came from using the TH900s

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #374 of 4,813
I'd love to see a graph on these but that will probably never happen. Done properly it's a good way to know what to expect, except for Focals that is. Those things seriously roll off their sub bass yet the graph shows it is a strong point. That makes no sense to me.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #375 of 4,813
  I'd love to see a graph on these but that will probably never happen. Done properly it's a good way to know what to expect, except for Focals that is. Those things seriously roll off their sub bass yet the graph shows it is a strong point. That makes no sense to me.

I'm sure Tyll will come out with some measurements at some point.

Edit - actually, there was a graph for the Ether C at London Canjam, and I just so happened to take a picture
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back