MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Feb 28, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #2,642 of 4,813
Isolation on Ether C is excellent. Unless you have someone literally pressed up next to you, there shouldn't be any issues.

As a past owner of the TH900, I can safely say the Ether C is a better headphone and should be the choice between the two. This is coming from someone whose fave headphone was a Fostex-equipped Denon D7000. The Ether C is the best headphone I have heard overall, period.

thanks to all of you for those feed-back.  So may be the "C 1.1" is the one for me (and it seems confortable, which is VERY important to me)

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #2,644 of 4,813
More comfy than the TH900 for sure.

" More comfy than the TH900" ??   I like a lot my TH900 and find it very confortable...but it does not isolate at all.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #2,646 of 4,813
" More comfy than the TH900" ??   I like a lot my TH900 and find it very confortable...but it does not isolate at all.

Yeah, the Fostex cans are known to isolate quite poorly. The Ether C is a definite improvement.

TH900 comfort is definitely great, but I much prefer the Ether C's headband, and the self adjustment.

Basically, the only thing I find the TH900 to do better is the way it does bass. I mean, I think anyone who has ever heard the TH900 knows that its bass is special, and anyone who likes some form of emphasized bass won't find any bass to be better (the bass is just... HNNNG). That being said, that is if you like colored bass in any form. So that is subjective. Ether C's bass is high quality planar bass, which is just as good in a different way, and definitely much more accurate and balanced, while retaining a wonderful deep tone and rumble when need be. Bass only gets more meaty with the tuning kit on it's warmest sets, which satisfies a minor bass lover like me.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #2,647 of 4,813

Come to think of it, my Ether C sound noticeably better when I put isolation pads under the headphone stands. :) 

Isolation pads ??   are there alternative pads for the "C" ?

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2,648 of 4,813
  Been playing with the new 1.1 tuning kit, it does seem to provide a subtle improvement, most noticeable is the high end seems a bit cleaner and easier to distinguish instrument, definately worth $10.

My preferred setup so far is 1.1 with 1 white tuning pad. Seems to provide a nice warm LCD-2 effect that I prefer with the amp I am currently using, the HA-1 which can be a bit strident if used with "bright" headphones.

Same here -- using the version 1.1 (foam) with white tuning pad outside on the earcups. The 1.1 does provide some subtle improvements and for $10!! You can't even buy a pastrami sandwich for $10 these days - not even close.  I like using the white pad since it does take a bit of the edge of the highs and for some reason I seem to be sensitive to highs.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #2,649 of 4,813
Has someone tested succesfully alternative third party cables to improve the " C " SQ ? 

I have on order a Double Helix Cable ( Molecule Elite Silver - 8 wires ) for my HE-X, and I wonder if, with an adapter, it could be a plus for the " C " also ? 

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #2,651 of 4,813
  HAs someone tested succesfully alternative third party cables to improve the " C " SQ ? 

I have on order a Double Helix Cable ( Molecule Elite Silver - 8 wires ) for my HE-X, and I wonder if, with an adapter, it could be a plus for the " C " also ? 

I have that exact cable, but I have it setup with Audeze 4 pin XLR's.  I made adapters for my HE-X and my Ether, so it can be used with all three headphones.  It is a fantastic cable that, IMO enhances bass, soundstage/imaging and details.  I think you will like it a lot!

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #2,652 of 4,813

I have that exact cable, but I have it setup with Audeze 4 pin XLR's.  I made adapters for my HE-X and my Ether, so it can be used with all three headphones.  It is a fantastic cable that, IMO enhances bass, soundstage/imaging and details.  I think you will like it a lot!

Good reasuring news :)  So, besides the Audeze which was it's primilary target I believe,  the DHC does also improves the Ether ? 

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2,653 of 4,813

Good reasuring news :)  So, besides the Audeze which was it's primilary target I believe,  the DHC does also improves the Ether ? 

I never used it on an Audeze, just made it with Audeze mini xlr's because of the solid design, and ease of making the adapters for other headphones with the mini xlr's.  I currently use the DHC 8 wire Silver Peptide cable with my Ether, HE-X and HE-6, with very good results on all of them. YMMV depending on the rest of your setup!  Spend your money on cables, only after source, DAC and amp are of the best quality you can afford first!

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #2,654 of 4,813
Bass, soundstage, details. How, how does ANYTHING boost EVERY aspect of sound? I give up. A certain meter has shot through the roof.

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #2,655 of 4,813
Bass, soundstage, details. How, how does ANYTHING boost EVERY aspect of sound? I give up. A certain meter has shot through the roof.

Which one?

very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back