MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jan 9, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,981 of 4,813
Currently have a great set of ZMF zebras that I love, but I've been through so many car accidents that my neck isn't in the greatest shape.  The Ether C is about 100g lighter BUT twice the price.  Not sure how much of a difference it will make though.  

If I do pull the trigger, are the DUM cables worth the upgrade? Or is another aftermarket cable a better decision.

Has anyone purchased through Razordog? They seem to have the best price with $100 off and no tax or shipping.

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #1,985 of 4,813
How good are the connections with the 2.5mm balanced? I'm thinking that I'll get the C's, I'm going to use them at my desk with a balanced amp and then probably with a 3.5mm se portable device... I was wondering if it made sense to get the 2.5mm balanced connectors and an adapter to balanced xlr and 3.5mm se. Or get regular balanced and a separate se cable.

I wish they had an option to have a mini 4pin xlr or the equivalent. Then I'd be all set

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #1,986 of 4,813
How good are the connections with the 2.5mm balanced? I'm thinking that I'll get the C's, I'm going to use them at my desk with a balanced amp and then probably with a 3.5mm se portable device... I was wondering if it made sense to get the 2.5mm balanced connectors and an adapter to balanced xlr and 3.5mm se. Or get regular balanced and a separate se cable.

I wish they had an option to have a mini 4pin xlr or the equivalent. Then I'd be all set

Just get a balanced XLR cable. It will have a male 4 pin XLR connector on the end. You then get an adapter that is a female 4 pin XLR connector to the SE connector of your choice. These XLR adapters are fairly common.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #1,987 of 4,813
Yeah, I'm familiar the standard XLR connector.  Have them on my XCs, but they are always so heavy that adding an adapter to a 1/8" feels awkward and clunky.  (Not bad going to 1/4" for a desktop rig, but putting the XLR in a pocket just doesn't work.

The 2.5mm balanced connector could work, then just have an adapter to each... but it's not captive.  The mini xlr (like Audeze uses on the headphone end) or something similarly sized and captive seems perfect.

Maybe I'll just get the XLR and get a second set of cables for portable.  What are the connectors like on the headphones themselves?  Are they fairly easy to disconnect and reconnect?

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #1,988 of 4,813

Maybe I'll just get the XLR and get a second set of cables for portable.  What are the connectors like on the headphones themselves?  Are they fairly easy to disconnect and reconnect?

That's definitely the lightest solution. Mr Speakers connectors are really easy to put on and take off. It's a spring loaded locking ring instead of the locking key mechanism on the mini XLR for Audeze. Most cable makers do charge a few more dollars for them since it's nowhere near the volume of Audeze cables. With a dedicated cable, you would also be able to get one in a better length for portable.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #1,989 of 4,813
  Currently have a great set of ZMF zebras that I love, but I've been through so many car accidents that my neck isn't in the greatest shape.  The Ether C is about 100g lighter BUT twice the price.  Not sure how much of a difference it will make though.  

If I do pull the trigger, are the DUM cables worth the upgrade? Or is another aftermarket cable a better decision.

Has anyone purchased through Razordog? They seem to have the best price with $100 off and no tax or shipping.

The Omni is a wonderful headphone and I quite like it.  But the Ether C is a step above for sure.  Whether you think it'll be worth nearly twice the price, I can't say.

The cable decision is also a personal one.  The DUM cable is going to be as good as any basic aftermarket cable at a fraction of the price.  Unless you're looking to upgrade to silver-coated-unicorn-tears cables, the DUM is a pretty easy choice.

I've had good experiences with Brian at Razordog.

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #1,990 of 4,813

Ether C is voiced more like the HD800 than like other planars. I much prefer the sound of the Omni to it. Ether C is way lighter though.

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,991 of 4,813
  Yeah, I'm familiar the standard XLR connector.  Have them on my XCs, but they are always so heavy that adding an adapter to a 1/8" feels awkward and clunky.  (Not bad going to 1/4" for a desktop rig, but putting the XLR in a pocket just doesn't work.

The 2.5mm balanced connector could work, then just have an adapter to each... but it's not captive.  The mini xlr (like Audeze uses on the headphone end) or something similarly sized and captive seems perfect.

For about $50 in material I just made my own. Just a little under 4 foot long sounds great with my QP1R.

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #1,993 of 4,813
  Nice work!

Do you need much besides a soldering iron and heat shrink gun?

Nope that will do it. Just a little patience on the braiding and you got a nice cable that you can say when people asked where did you get that you say I made it.

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #1,994 of 4,813
  For about $50 in material I just made my own. Just a little under 4 foot long sounds great with my QP1R.

That's pretty nice actually, an for what it's worth, I have a lot of respect for Dan an his Team selling their DUM Cable for like $100 with a 4pin XLR [with the purchase of the Ether C] that's about what I pay for cables usually anyways, with them I can get the price I expect without having to send them off to be recabled 

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #1,995 of 4,813

Nice job 
normal_smile .gif

What wire do you use? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back