MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions
Dec 23, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #556 of 937
If I may interject as a non biased fan of mrspeakers. The fact is that companies simply don't place the same emphasis on quality control as others. MrSpeakers has released several brand new headphones over the years, none of which had any quality concerns, channel matching issues, etc.

I would also add that MrSpeakers roots as a vendor who modified Fostex drivers (including fixing channel balance and driver matching from Fostex itself), they are well suited to the channel balance challenges of electrostatics.

I would have no qualms about purchasing a MrSpeakers electrostatic headphone personally, but for the feint of heart I would recommend to perhaps wait for the early reviews and impressions to roll out by trusted reviewers if you really need to confirm everything I stated above.
There have been some glitches (like DUMMER cables with channel swaps), but that happens with all companies. It's just that the better ones learn from them and improve their procedures. There is ample evidence on here of mrspeakers doing that, and of making things right when there is an issue. So I wouldn't be worried about anything other than maybe not liking the headphone and then having to sell it at a loss.

Dec 23, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #557 of 937
Planar and stat consistency is obviously not easy to realize because tension does affect the response. I can't speak to other vendors, of course, but as your question implies this is a valid concern.

We have built a tensioning system that yields very consistent results on the stats. While the number of runs is obviously limited by prototyping, the tension seems to be uniform enough that drivers have come out matched across multiple runs, which is great. Once the drivers are tensioned and built they are individually matched on a Klippel system we brought online late last summer as our AEON volume increased and our old process and tools couldn't keep up.

The biggest challenge we've had in consistency has always been ear pads because we use soft foam and complex geometry. I've said it before so this should be no surprise, but the tolerances on sewn fabric and foam are very hard to control and pads have a big effect on sound, more than I think most people appreciate.

Our pad vendor thinks we are a pain because not only are our pad tolerances now twice as tight as their other customers but we are even going so far as to sort the foam and only use certain parts of the blocks for improved structure, which adds to the cost of the parts, and they are now sewing half as fast as most of the parts they make to improve stitching. Fortunately pads are easier to replace than drivers, so if you ever have a concern about matching and consistency and pads are the issue you have the easiest possible fix.

I will never say every unit will be identical because all analog devices have tolerances, but every unit should sound close enough that a very experienced user would have a very hard time hearing a difference to a reference headphone.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 24, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #558 of 937
A comment on this price to our friends and followers; we realize this is higher than we’d committed and for this I regret we said it’d be “well-under” $3000. The reality is essential changes to the stator design, higher than expected cost of the cable and custom plugs, and the enhanced storage and display case added too much to the cost to achieve our original price target. While our original thought was the headphone would be $2800 we hope you'll agree the benefits of improved sound, ergonomics and storage are well worth the incremental cost.

The box was certainly a surprise to me, but if electrostats do indeed benefit from protected storage, it should be well worth the $200. To be honest I had saved my money with the idea that it would be released last summer, and so I've had an extra half a year to save. From what I heard at Axpona and the amazing early feedback from The Source electrostatic event, I knew I was going to get these since Spring!

It's why I made it my gear of the year: http://fastnbulbous.com/lucky-17/#gear

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #559 of 937
I don't know the reason, but having paid to have my STAX 009 cable replaced, I'm very pleased with this common sense innovation. When I had my STAX cable replaced, the cost included a new cable, shipping and insurance both ways, and labor. It was not cheap.

That's too bad.
I didn't know that the newer high-end STAX cables could not be detached, since my old (and lovely) first generation SR-Omega cable is detachable.

Sure it is really nice that cable of Voce is detachable.
And nice case to protect from dust! Way better than STAX stand and vinyl cover which are sold as option.

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #560 of 937
A few people have mentioned dust accumulation/protection. Given the fancy case the new estats ship with, I'm wondering if longevity in this sense is any issue. In other words, is there any implication that less sophisticated storage methods would be somehow suboptimal due to the headphones' design?

Been thinking about this with my STAX as well, which I keep in box for longer periods of inactivity. Thankfully no problems so far, but that could change...

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #561 of 937
I thought all modern stax have double sided impermeable dust covers?

That's why my question remains about the nature of dust covers on the Mr Speakers.

Dec 31, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #562 of 937
I thought all modern stax have double sided impermeable dust covers?

That's why my question remains about the nature of dust covers on the Mr Speakers.

I'm not aware of any "Impermeable" dust covers, there are only screens or filters. Stax is not using filters, therefore I assume they are using screens, but since we do not tear down other headphones, I have nothing really specific to say. If you have actual information on this feel free to share or PM me.

Our screen is extremely fine so it will keep out most dust, but pollen and other fine particulates can't be stopped without a proper filter. In most cases, anythInc small enough to get past our screen will likely burn up due to corona over a short period of time. That said, you actually can use a vacuum to "dust" a driver that has gotten dirty, Martin Logan recommends this. To date none of our in house units has developed any dust issues.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 31, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #563 of 937
A few people have mentioned dust accumulation/protection. Given the fancy case the new estats ship with, I'm wondering if longevity in this sense is any issue. In other words, is there any implication that less sophisticated storage methods would be somehow suboptimal due to the headphones' design?

Been thinking about this with my STAX as well, which I keep in box for longer periods of inactivity. Thankfully no problems so far, but that could change...

See above...

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #564 of 937
I'm not aware of any "Impermeable" dust covers, there are only screens or filters. Stax is not using filters, therefore I assume they are using screens, but since we do not tear down other headphones, I have nothing really specific to say. If you have actual information on this feel free to share or PM me.
Afaik, the usual method is to use a non-tensioned mylar film or such to keep any dust out. It must be impermeable film or otherwise, you’re bound to hear buzzing sound and such after a while. I am surprised you can get away with a porous screen.
Arnaud

Jan 1, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #565 of 937
Afaik, the usual method is to use a non-tensioned mylar film or such to keep any dust out. It must be impermeable film or otherwise, you’re bound to hear buzzing sound and such after a while. I am surprised you can get away with a porous screen.
Arnaud

Oh that. My understanding is that they used that on some older models, but it is not in use on their newer products. Among other things that would effectively triple the mass of the driver the driver.

Jan 1, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #566 of 937
Oh that. My understanding is that they used that on some older models, but it is not in use on their newer products. Among other things that would effectively triple the mass of the driver the driver.

Starting from the right of the right ear cup, and following a line perpendicular to the cup, going through its center, a 5-year-old SR-009 has
1) "outer", protective metal screen
2) protective (impermeable), rather loosely stretched clear polymer film
3) outer, metal stator
4) diaphragm
5) inner, metal stator
6) protective, rather loosely stretched clear polymer film
7) "inner", protective metal screen
8) cloth dust screen stretched onto a circular, pliable, polymer frame which is inserted under the ear pad
9) ear pad

MrSpeakers, could you give us a similar break-down for what is in Voce?

Jan 1, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #567 of 937

Thought we can place an order today. But I didn't see any info on the website. Is there anything we can do about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back