MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions
Dec 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #541 of 937
That is my memory too. And then for some reason a bunch of people got really upset (REALLY upset!) about the need for an adapter.

We listen. I made no secret that I find the plug to be a poor design but in the end the installed base is probably the most important market for a new entry so reality wins over ideology, as it always should.
Thanks to people for their input on this.

Since we had to go with it we decided to go all in and make a plug we’d be proud of.

We also will sell plugs and headphone side for hobbyists or cable companies who would like to make cables, though a set of parts will be more on par with high end connectors due to the material quality.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 22, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #542 of 937
We also will sell plugs and headphone side for hobbyists or cable companies who would like to make cables, though a set of parts will be more on par with high end connectors due to the material quality.
Awesome, as always!
Can you elaborate on the asterisk for the box/stand, saying "the detachable cable is for customer cable replacement for longer cables or 3rd party cables. It is not for daily/regular use."? Is that because it's cumbersome to use, or because of durability concerns?
Will this apply to the headphone sides you're selling as well?

Thanks!

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #544 of 937
It is not for daily/regular use."? Is that because it's cumbersome to use, or because of durability concerns?

I don't know the reason, but having paid to have my STAX 009 cable replaced, I'm very pleased with this common sense innovation. When I had my STAX cable replaced, the cost included a new cable, shipping and insurance both ways, and labor. It was not cheap.

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #545 of 937
I don't know the reason, but having paid to have my STAX 009 cable replaced, I'm very pleased with this common sense innovation. When I had my STAX cable replaced, the cost included a new cable, shipping and insurance both ways, and labor. It was not cheap.
Definitely. Won't buy headphones without replaceable cables anymore.

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #546 of 937
Based on what I heard at our last AZ meet with the pair that Dan graciously provided for us, if I were going the 'stat route, I would get the VOCE in a heartbeat. I've heard both of the Stax
(007 & 009), and would pick the VOCE. Besides, it's made right here in SD, CA, not 'in a land far, far away'.

I'm hoping that we get another pair at our meet on 2/10/18 to audition. (Hope Dan reads this :)).

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #547 of 937
Any final news to share in terms of efficiency? As we need to be shopping for third party amplifiers, it would be good to know the power requirements. Is this more like 009 or 007 in terms of efficiency?

Just wanted to check again regarding efficiency/power requirements? Any figures to share, or will this be released later? Some of us need to do amplifier planning...

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #548 of 937
They made a statement addressing this in hear recently. IDK why but I seem to be missing it when I go back through things. Not sure how one would make a figure addressing it as the powering requirements are fundamentally different that normal headphones.

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #549 of 937
Stax publishes efficiency figures (mainly sensitivity / 100Vr.m.s. / 1kHz).

That said, it is notoriously hard to reduce a drive figure down to one number, even for dynamic headphones.

For Stax enthusiasts, it might be helpful to just let us know relatively to popular Stax models. Something as simple as "easier to drive than 009", "about the same as 009", "between 009 and 007", "about the same as 007", or "needs more power than 007" would be very helpful.

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #552 of 937
I am more concerned about consistency between batches/ pairs of headphones.
How do you guys addressing this issue?

If I am looking at Stax, at the beginning of the 009 there were huge difference between pairs. I don't know now. Same happened with Audeze.

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #553 of 937
If I may interject as a non biased fan of mrspeakers. The fact is that companies simply don't place the same emphasis on quality control as others. MrSpeakers has released several brand new headphones over the years, none of which had any quality concerns, channel matching issues, etc.

I would also add that MrSpeakers roots as a vendor who modified Fostex drivers (including fixing channel balance and driver matching from Fostex itself), they are well suited to the channel balance challenges of electrostatics.

I would have no qualms about purchasing a MrSpeakers electrostatic headphone personally, but for the feint of heart I would recommend to perhaps wait for the early reviews and impressions to roll out by trusted reviewers if you really need to confirm everything I stated above.

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #554 of 937
Dang, just when I was content with my gear, the announcement is finally made.

Having had the unfortunate pleasure of visiting Japan and spending some time with some 007's and 9's, I crave that sound that only an e-stat can provide.

I'm already a fan of Dan's tuning, and if these are anything close to a Stax 007, the only hope I now have to my pocket book is in regards to the amp affordability vs sound paradigm.

Hopefully I can push the e-stat itch off for awhile more.
I feel ya buddy! Good luck fighting the itch.
CCA560BF-D5BA-4D91-AC46-367418757677.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back