MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions
Feb 20, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #646 of 937
I would not call the Voce laid back exactly, more like organic. But these words are terms are pretty nebulus.

That is EXACTLY the word I have used to describe it... :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 20, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #647 of 937
The tone I was looking for is a fun question, and a predictably complex answer. I tried to make an all-purpose headphone that was equally at home with a symphony, jazz ensemble, pop/rock, electronica, rap, hip-hop, etc. So I deliberately tried for a fuller bottom-end and a warmer midrange closer to our planars. By definition a warmer tone decreases the relevant output of the upper mids and highs, as tone and perception of detail do relate. Lastly, I really wanted to get a lot of dynamics out of the headphone, VOCE really has a lively dynamic range to it, in part due to driver size. Generally I start with drums, then move to vocals, then to electronica, then to symphonic works. When the tone holds and scales across genres I feel like we're done...

We did the voicing using 3 different main amps and 2 energizers, though I had very limited time with the iFI.

Can you speak to which amp was your favorite? I'm wondering what I need to start saving for next...!

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #649 of 937
I like the 009 quite a bit and out of a BHSE I don't have the fatigue issues with the treble some report on the 009, but at the same time I really like the pre2016 LCD3F. Those two headphones for me are about as different tonally and presentation wise as you can get, so while I have yet to get the opportunity to hear the Voce I don't feel a strong affinity for the 009 means one would not like a headphone to contrast it.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #650 of 937
"favorite" is kind of relative. The BHSE is amazing for resolution and power, but I also have a prototype of an upcoming Linear Tube Audio ZOTL-derived design that is quite textured and smooth. It's going to depend a lot on what you want to accomplish. As it's a prototype with no ETA, price or final metal I won't directly compare to the BHSE because common sense prevails! So for now, BHSE is my favorite production amp, and I was given a tip on some tubes from a trusted 'stat junkie that I need to check out.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #656 of 937

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #658 of 937
I had such a good time hearing the Voce with my buddy that I had to stop and take some quick notes on it. I had no paper on me when I was listening so I took one of dans business cards and wrote on that. Then left his room and transcribed it onto paper from the Marriott. (The Voce was the only thing I felt that inclined to take notes on)

Dans one set up had 2 Voce's hooked up and a small assortment of filters "notches" to put into the cups if you desired. The notches felt like the same ones provided with the Aeons, just appropriate size to fit the Voce. I loved that I was able to tune the sound seeing which notches matched my tastes.

" "Steely Dan" Mr. Speakers Voce

I think the white notch is perfect for "Sign in Stranger". The white notch gives me the best of both worlds I feel. Clarity of highs and just enough bass bump for down low. Sounds like Mr Speakers sound signature but I think because of the amp I am getting plenty of punch and body.

"Haitian Divorce"- Separation is amazing... Crystal clear. With smooth mids of Donald Fagen's voice to boot. The sound is neutral but still very engaging."

My friend and I were jamming out and I laughed at multiple times while listening. I was pleasantly surprised with how much body to the sound there was. I am not used to that with e-stats. I think that the Voce really is a fresh sound that will appeal to people that want the speed that e-stats provide, but also (as mentioned) want a more organic approach.

I am listening to the Ether Flow Closed right now and I never made that connection of "organic" before. I totally hear it with this too. I'm listening to Neil Young's "Ohio" Live at Massey Hall.

I think that if you really like Mr. Speakers sound the Voce's voicing falls in line with that, with all the added benefits e-stats are known for. Jamming with my buddy and being immersed in the music was easily one of the highlights from my trip.

2D29BCFB-1649-429B-8C83-E1B6400C8589.jpeg
4DBB45A3-81F3-4185-AFE3-C57D99069DEF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 22, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #660 of 937
I am looking forward to some hands on and in detail reviews of these. My stax 009's are scared.

I hope they're simply looking forward to having some fresh company... :)

What dac amp Setup wete you using in the demo.

My black Blue Hawaii is there in the background, using Siemens EL34.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back