MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 20, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #8,431 of 9,071
Schiit Lyr loaded with Genelec Gold Lions.  DAC is a Wavelength Brick loaded with an RCA clear top.

+1 on the Gold Lions.

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #8,432 of 9,071
Also forgot to mention that the Primes are far less prone to cable microphonics than the ADs were.  Two days of pretty intense enjoyment and I am completely sold.

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #8,433 of 9,071
Also forgot to mention that the Primes are far less prone to cable microphonics than the ADs were.  Two days of pretty intense enjoyment and I am completely sold.

That quickly? Tomorrow can't get here soon enough. C'mon FedEx!

Any weakness at all?

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #8,435 of 9,071
That quickly? Tomorrow can't get here soon enough. C'mon FedEx!

Any weakness at all?

Vocals seem to be a little further back but I think that's probably a by-product of the AP's superior imaging capabilities. I'm not sure I'd count it as a weakness. I've noticed digital artefacts in less than perfect recordings but I noticed that with the HE-560 too (my V281 in balanced mode is pretty revealing so again not really a weakness of the headphones). Bass is wonderful; amongst the best I've heard. I don't think they're as mid-centric as the AD but the magic is still there; you just have to zone in more. Treble is much, much smoother and they sound vastly more open. There's no doubting that they're a worthy upgrade. If you've been using the Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 for a while your ears will probably need a little time to adjust. Overall, they're excellent. For me, they get the balance between being a reference headphone and being a fun headphone just right.

Can we talk about cables now? :)

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #8,436 of 9,071
Can we talk about cables now? :)

I love you, man.

But if YOU start a cable discussion, I might block you.  Just sayin'          
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #8,437 of 9,071
Spent another 4 hours listening to the Alpha Primes with the music server on random yesterday.  These things reinforce my standard advice to people who ask me "what should I upgrade first?" which is always "speakers."  Or, in the case of a head-hifi rig, the headphones.  :)

I also like that the only outward indication that these are Primes is the subtle marking on the left ear cup riser:

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #8,438 of 9,071
  Spent another 4 hours listening to the Alpha Primes with the music server on random yesterday.  These things reinforce my standard advice to people who ask me "what should I upgrade first?" which is always "speakers."  Or, in the case of a head-hifi rig, the headphones.  :)

I've been without my AD's for a week now (sent them in for the upgrade).  I cannot believe how much I'm jonesing to have them back.  

Talking about the upgrade path, having the chance to get in on the first-round upgrade was really important to me.  Nothing wrong at all with the AD sound, but it's not often one has an opportunity to extend the value of a prior product purchase like this.  That said, I do have some other goodies in the mail that, when the APs come back, are going to next-level my headphone rig.

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #8,440 of 9,071
We are doing our best to process the upgrades quickly. They have proven to be extremely difficult, lots of drivers failing during the process. About 75% have had one driver or key part fail, which not only requires replacing the part but driver matching, which adds even more to the cost.

We have made some progress improving the upgrade system, but I am still not sure yet if it will be viable for large-scale production. We just designed a new test fixture which is making things easier, so I will know for sure if we can expand the program within two weeks. We also have filed our patent on the driver implementation.

I want to thank all 30 of the upgrade pilot purchasers for your interest and patience; we will do our best to get your phones back as promptly as we can.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 23, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #8,441 of 9,071
Holiday coupons are online.  Through Dec. 1 2014, 10% off on orders over $1000 with free shipping worldwide.  Worldwide orders under $1000 get free shipping with coupon 2014free.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #8,442 of 9,071

I've been without my AD's for a week now (sent them in for the upgrade).  I cannot believe how much I'm jonesing to have them back.  

Talking about the upgrade path, having the chance to get in on the first-round upgrade was really important to me.  Nothing wrong at all with the AD sound, but it's not often one has an opportunity to extend the value of a prior product purchase like this.  That said, I do have some other goodies in the mail that, when the APs come back, are going to next-level my headphone rig.

same here. been missing my ADs so so much since i sent them in.

FedEx is showing delivery today, i think they'll start treating my IP as a DoS attack given how often im refreshing it. Got a hifi-m8 and playlist ready for when they arrive.

Thanks for the quick turnaround Dan. I'm glad I could be in the pilot batch of upgrades.

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #8,444 of 9,071
Please help me find an aftermarket cable maker in the Euro zone (EU/UK)

..need help finding a good aftermarket cable, i´ve had found a posting in this threads some weeks ago, that lead me to a slovenian(?) cable maker, selling a cable for the dogs a reasonable price. I´ve lost that posting/name/link and information. I know this thread is all "go buy the vanquish cable" but the customs process here is pretty horrible and i want to avoid this ( costs alot of time, money and nerves ). i found mr. speakers posting about 3rd party cable makers, but from the looks none is in the eu zone ( could be wrong there).

- does somebody know which EU cable maker i´m reffering to (the slovenian)
- does somebody have a EU cable maker he can recommend?

thanks a lot and sorry, i´m asking for something allready written (...but this thread is spammed horrible)
cheers

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #8,445 of 9,071
Please help me find an aftermarket cable maker in the Euro zone (EU/UK)

..need help finding a good aftermarket cable, i´ve had found a posting in this threads some weeks ago, that lead me to a slovenian(?) cable maker, selling a cable for the dogs a reasonable price. I´ve lost that posting/name/link and information. I know this thread is all "go buy the vanquish cable" but the customs process here is pretty horrible and i want to avoid this ( costs alot of time, money and nerves ). i found mr. speakers posting about 3rd party cable makers, but from the looks none is in the eu zone ( could be wrong there).

- does somebody know which EU cable maker i´m reffering to (the slovenian)
- does somebody have a EU cable maker he can recommend?

thanks a lot and sorry, i´m asking for something allready written (...but this thread is spammed horrible)
cheers

Don't know of any Slovenians but there's a Polish guy and an English guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back