MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #5,703 of 9,071
  I have some projects to kick out today, but I'll post my first impressions as soon as possible.  Let me say this:  if I were in charge at Fostex, heads would roll.

Why?

If I were in charge, there would be promotions and bonuses.  With minimal R&D, the product is adopted by a growing community of modders and businesses. I would imagine that sales of the drivers are up significantly over the past few years. And almost everyone knows its a Fostex driver.  One of the few scenarios were just about everyone wins.

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #5,704 of 9,071
  Would the starlight do a good job of amplifying it, to fairly max volume (amp is 600mw)? 

I am pretty sure it will drive it fine to a decent volume, but it would not be optimal power to achieve the extra details, smoothness, and sound stage.

I am pretty sure that is a close power rating to what the Fiio E12 puts out into 50 ohms, but I am not positive.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #5,705 of 9,071
  My only issue with the AD is the cable.  Not that it doesn't sound good but the weight and stiffness.  If I am correct, it is a Canare L-4E5C which is a great cable and extremely tough but a little heavy as a headphone cable.  It has a braided nickle plated copper shield that makes it very durable but a little stiff.  Plus the outer insulator is heavy and not that flexible.  Put the AD on your head without the cable attached and if feels like a different headphone.

Last night I broke down and removed the connectors from the stock cable and put them on my old Norse cable and also put a 1/8 TRS on for portable use.  The Norse cable feels like having no cable at all.  Now the AD is perfect.

It would be very helpful, I'm sure, to many members if you could comment about any changes, i.e., improvements, in sound quality resulting from using the Norse cable v. the stock cable.  

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #5,706 of 9,071

My only issue with the AD is the cable.  Not that it doesn't sound good but the weight and stiffness.  If I am correct, it is a Canare L-4E5C which is a great cable and extremely tough but a little heavy as a headphone cable.  It has a braided nickle plated copper shield that makes it very durable but a little stiff.  Plus the outer insulator is heavy and not that flexible.  Put the AD on your head without the cable attached and if feels like a different headphone.

Last night I broke down and removed the connectors from the stock cable and put them on my old Norse cable and also put a 1/8 TRS on for portable use.  The Norse cable feels like having no cable at all.  Now the AD is perfect.

It would be very helpful, I'm sure, to many members if you could comment about any changes, i.e., improvements, in sound quality resulting from using the Norse cable v. the stock cable.  

Thanks.

There are subtle sound differences between headphone cables, but generally their cost is greater than the amount of improvement (or change).

For example, someone could spend $300 on a cable... but would get more improvement by replacing their $200 DAC with a $500 DAC (even assuming best choices for all three).

I think that most of the Members of Trade here would agree with this.... except for the cable sellers.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #5,707 of 9,071
  There are subtle sound differences between headphone cables, but generally their cost is greater than the amount of improvement (or change).

For example, someone could spend $300 on a cable... but would get more improvement by replacing their $200 DAC with a $500 DAC (even assuming best choices for all three).

I think that most of the Members of Trade here would agree with this.... except for the cable sellers.
biggrin.gif

OK but that's a separate issue, i.e., considering a cable's bang for the buck, or comparing the relative value of a cable improvement v. a dac improvement.  The question is just the amount of "bang" from a cable upgrade, price considerations aside.  The reason is that many consider the improvements provided by a premium cable to be more than subtle, and they are willing to spend relatively large additional amounts for that improvement. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #5,708 of 9,071

OK but that's a separate issue, i.e., considering a cable's bang for the buck, or comparing the relative value of a cable improvement v. a dac improvement.  The question is just the amount of "bang" from a cable upgrade, price considerations aside.  The reason is that many consider the improvements provided by a premium cable to be more than subtle, and they are willing to spend relatively large additional amounts for that improvement. 

i, for one, do not agree that improvements are "more than subtle"...not a big believer in cables. but that's a topic for another forum.

what i do think is important is how the cable looks and feels on the headphone. not for the sound, but for usability. i hate cables that kink easily...or are too stiff. i plan on building a thin, flexible cable for the ADs as well. i have a wanted thread in the cables/accessories forum, but if anyone here has some spare cable they want to sell me, i'm open. oh, and a 1/8" TRS plug, too. thanks!

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #5,709 of 9,071

Thanks.

This Norse cable is a old one and used to be on my HE-6 then MD.  Now it is the portable cable for my AD.  As for the sound, IMO the treble sounds more open and slightly more define.  Better micro-detail in the treble.  Because of that, you may think it has more treble but it doesn't.  In other words, I could say it sounds clearer and refined.  That aside, my point for using this cable is more of comfort and not sound.  Sound wise is just a very slight improvement.  Comfort wise is truly night and day.  I could not stand another minute of the weight and stiffness stock cable.  The way it rubs against my collar bones and chest or feeling the full weight of the cable with every movement of my head.  For me the $125 Norse against the $40 MrSpeakers I would not hesitate to dish out money for the Norse.  I want to be at peace and enjoy the music and not be bothered by anything.  I used to sit 6 to 8 hours with the HE-6.  Comfort was very important.

biggrin.gif

Even if the improvement was just very slight in a boutique cable, that slight improvement stays with the headphone.  Will you get that DAC's improvement in every peace of gear you plug your phones or every place you go with you phones?

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #5,710 of 9,071
Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Even if the improvement was just very slight in a boutique cable, that slight improvement stays with the headphone.  Will you get that DAC's improvement in every peace of gear you plug your phones or every place you go with you phones?

Actually, I get double use from a DAC, because I use my DAC both for headphone listening and with speakers.

Whereas, I only use my top headphones (currently Alpha Dogs) there, and then use different headphones for portable use or elsewhere in the house.

So, such things certainly depend on each person's use.

I was just trying to point out that people should also consider benefit vs cost issue with cables.  Most people who do have boutique cables, either a) have strong desires for cables that fit their comfort needs, or b) have $1k+ invested in each and every component in the chain, and so have hit "diminishing returns" on everything other than the cables.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #5,711 of 9,071
  Actually, I get double use from a DAC, because I use my DAC both for headphone listening and with speakers.

Whereas, I only use my top headphones (currently Alpha Dogs) there, and then use different headphones for portable use or elsewhere in the house.

So, such things certainly depend on each person's use.

I was just trying to point out that people should also consider benefit vs cost issue with cables.  Most people who do have boutique cables, either a) have strong desires for cables that fit their comfort needs, or b) have $1k+ invested in each and every component in the chain, and so have hit "diminishing returns" on everything other than the cables.

The intent was not to turn this thread into a discussion about cables.  I was simply interested in what improvements, if any, the poster above heard when changing to an upgraded cable from the stock cable in the case of the Alpha Dogs.

However, I have to disagree with (b) above, i.e, that "most" people who have "boutique" cables "have $1,000+ invested in each and every component..."  That wouldn't seem to fit most of the members here who have changed cables on less expensive phones with less expensive equipment.  For example, one can put a $77 BTG cable on a pair of $180 Senn HD25 and get a very nice upgrade in sound (I know -- Idid it).  Or, a $185 Moon Audio Blue Dragon on a $399 HD600 and experience what a friend told Drew of Moon Audio: "It transformed my HD600".  The point is that a cable upgrade can be worthwhile at many price levels of equipment, IMO

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #5,713 of 9,071
Canada Posts tracking says my AD's are out for delivery:)  I am at home today so I hope they do come to my door and not just send them to the post office to be picked up tomorrow afternoon.  I actually have 2 parcels that are supposed to be delivered by Canada Post today.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #5,714 of 9,071
  Canada Posts tracking says my AD's are out for delivery:)  I am at home today so I hope they do come to my door and not just send them to the post office to be picked up tomorrow afternoon.  I actually have 2 parcels that are supposed to be delivered by Canada Post today.

good luck, mine should arrive at my office tomorrow, but I may not get them until Monday...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back