MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #2,372 of 2,583
Had some troubles with the AFO cables, so contacted MrSpeakers through email to arrange the purchase of another cable. They were nice enough to confirm that it was still within warranty period and immediately sent a replacement cable (some shenanigans with the postage, but they were also gracious enough to help settle it)

some top notch customer service!:L3000::L3000:

ZjTOhW8.png

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #2,373 of 2,583
Sep 29, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #2,374 of 2,583
Sep 29, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #2,375 of 2,583
That's a pretty good price. It's about $300 off the retail price for them new ($CAD).

I paid $650 for the close back version I have. Those do sound pretty good but to be honest (and call me crazy) but I still prefer the sound of my HD6XX and 58X over the AFC. Perhaps it will be different with the open back version. Also the close back version gave me a bit of a claustrophobic feeling. Perhaps I'm just not used to close back headphones anymore.

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #2,376 of 2,583
I paid $650 for the close back version I have. Those do sound pretty good but to be honest (and call me crazy) but I still prefer the sound of my HD6XX and 58X over the AFC. Perhaps it will be different with the open back version. Also the close back version gave me a bit of a claustrophobic feeling. Perhaps I'm just not used to close back headphones anymore.

The HD650 is a difficult headphone to contend with, honestly. I prefered the Aeon Flow Open to it but I didn't find it to be in a different league or anything. The treble is a bit more detailed and the bass is a bit less bloated on the Aeons, but that's about it. I only found it to be a small improvement.

I haven't heard the Closed Aeons, but from the comparisons I've read I think the Opens are a bit more bassy and a bit smoother and more laid back in the treble. I don't think I'd expect to hear a vast improvement over the 650s, probably just a minor upgrade.

The ZMF Aeolus would be a better headphone to look at as an upgrade to the HD650, but it's significantly more expensive then the Aeons. It has a similar sound signature to the 650 but does almost everything better. I also found the Focal Elear to be an upgrade to the 650, it's a cheaper option (around the same price new as the Aeons used) but it's a different sound signature. It has a nice much more detailed treble but not overly bright. Also a much better bass then the 650, the 650 still has those unbeatable mids though.

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #2,377 of 2,583
The HD650 is a difficult headphone to contend with, honestly. I prefered the Aeon Flow Open to it but I didn't find it to be in a different league or anything. The treble is a bit more detailed and the bass is a bit less bloated on the Aeons, but that's about it. I only found it to be a small improvement.

I haven't heard the Closed Aeons, but from the comparisons I've read I think the Opens are a bit more bassy and a bit smoother and more laid back in the treble. I don't think I'd expect to hear a vast improvement over the 650s, probably just a minor upgrade.

The ZMF Aeolus would be a better headphone to look at as an upgrade to the HD650, but it's significantly more expensive then the Aeons. It has a similar sound signature to the 650 but does almost everything better. I also found the Focal Elear to be an upgrade to the 650, it's a cheaper option (around the same price new as the Aeons used) but it's a different sound signature. It has a nice much more detailed treble but not overly bright. Also a much better bass then the 650, the 650 still has those unbeatable mids though.

So basically getting the AFO is pointless if it's a minor upgrade sound wise to the HD6XX (650). What about the Focal Elex from Massdrop? Just by looking at them I worry they would be too big for a smaller head like I have.

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #2,378 of 2,583
So basically getting the AFO is pointless if it's a minor upgrade sound wise to the HD6XX (650). What about the Focal Elex from Massdrop? Just by looking at them I worry they would be too big for a smaller head like I have.

Whether something is an upgrade or not all depends on what you think when you hear them, you might love the Aeon Flow more then me.

The Focal Elex is basically a Focal Elear with different pads and a different look. It's a little less bassy then the Elear and has a bit more even treble. I think the Elear at its current price is a better option but the Elex is generally considered a bit better then the Elear.

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #2,379 of 2,583
Whether something is an upgrade or not all depends on what you think when you hear them, you might love the Aeon Flow more then me.

The Focal Elex is basically a Focal Elear with different pads and a different look. It's a little less bassy then the Elear and has a bit more even treble. I think the Elear at its current price is a better option but the Elex is generally considered a bit better then the Elear.

Well I just stumbled across an ad for the Elear + JDS Atom and headphone stand for $750 Canadian. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...-labs-atom-amp-and-monoprice-headphone-stand/ However the Elex seems better for me if it's as you described with a bit less bass and more even treble. I rarely listen to bass heavy music.

Sep 30, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #2,380 of 2,583
Well I just stumbled across an ad for the Elear + JDS Atom and headphone stand for $750 Canadian. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...-labs-atom-amp-and-monoprice-headphone-stand/ However the Elex seems better for me if it's as you described with a bit less bass and more even treble. I rarely listen to bass heavy music.

The Elear new is about what you can expect to pay for a used Elex, a used Elear can be had pretty cheap these days. The Atom is a great amp, 750.00 isn't a great deal though for used...I guess it's ok if everything is pristine.

Anyways, the Aeon Flow Open is still a great headphone and is a bit better in my opinion then the 650. You really have to spend a good chunk of change to find a real upgrade.

Sep 30, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #2,381 of 2,583
The Elear new is about what you can expect to pay for a used Elex, a used Elear can be had pretty cheap these days. The Atom is a great amp, 750.00 isn't a great deal though for used...I guess it's ok if everything is pristine.

Anyways, the Aeon Flow Open is still a great headphone and is a bit better in my opinion then the 650. You really have to spend a good chunk of change to find a real upgrade.

Yeah true and I'm not ready nor able to spend over $1,000 on a set of headphones. Perhaps I'll splurge on these AFO and see how it goes. I have the THX 789 on order from Drop but if I buy the one from this seller I'll have it two months sooner.

Sep 30, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #2,382 of 2,583
I was able to listen to the AFO and AFC, and Elear at a shop. I preferred the AFO - it was a bit warmer but not what I would call bassy. AFC seemed a bit thin to me. Both are pretty laid back and smooth sounding.

Elear was different - very punchy, very in-your-face. It demands your attention. It was fun but I think it would fatiguing long-term. The soundstage on the Elear was much better than either of the Aeons, if that sort of thing matters to you.

Sep 30, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #2,383 of 2,583
I was able to listen to the AFO and AFC, and Elear at a shop. I preferred the AFO - it was a bit warmer but not what I would call bassy. AFC seemed a bit thin to me. Both are pretty laid back and smooth sounding.

Elear was different - very punchy, very in-your-face. It demands your attention. It was fun but I think it would fatiguing long-term. The soundstage on the Elear was much better than either of the Aeons, if that sort of thing matters to you.

When listening to the AFC and AFO did you try them with and without the dampening pads inside the ear cups?

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #2,385 of 2,583

it’s probably your amp. A K3 is pretty underpowered for the AFC but does better for 6XX and 58X.

Low impedance low efficiency headphones slaughter most portable amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back