MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #1,726 of 2,583
I have the Nighthawk and the ETHER Flow open. I’ve read many of your reviews and posts and I feel that the ETHER Flow open is a great headphone. I know you are asking about the AEON but from what I gather the ETHER Flow open and AEON open aren’t too far off, and, from what I can tell (by reading every post in the corresponding threads), the AEON open is at least as warm as the ETHER Flow open. I think you may enjoy the AEON open. Regarding the Mojo it will do well with the AEON open IMO as the ETHER Flow does well.

I wish I had a comparison of the LCD2C and AEON open but I haven’t heard either of them. I do prefer the ETHER Flow open to the LCD-2.2 that I own if that counts. Lol, apologies for the non-comparison and recommend you take it with a grain of salt.

:)
Most comments and reviews I read find the Aeon more interesting/exciting than the Ethers. They are also more affordable.
Also, the LCD2C in general receives more favourable reviews than any of the previous LCD2 series. Otherwise thanks for your comment Relic, I really appreciate how you contribute to this community, I do enjoy reading your reviews and comments.

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #1,728 of 2,583
Anybody pair the Aeon Open with a Violectric amp? I have the V100. For portable, I just got the iFi Nano IDSD black, which from reading a couple of comments above seems to get decent performance out of the Aeon.

I run the AEON Closed out of a Violectric v90. If you're interested in a close-but-no-cigar comparison, it's a fantastic combination. No issues with lack of power or harsh edges to the sound. I prefer the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label (another narrow miss) because of the bass boost, which makes for the perfect FR IMO.

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #1,729 of 2,583
I don't mind a little coloration, I don't want my headphones to be audio microscopes for detail hunting. I also prefer a little excitement over neutrality. I want to enjoy my music and get lost in it instead of monitoring. I want fun and happy hours instead of a precise measurement graph.
I am a bit worried about the AFO's initially harsh treble, and TBH I don't really want to play around with filters. I also hate EQ-ing. For me a headphone should be ready to enjoy as they come out from the factory.

If engagement is what you want, the AFO will deliver. Its sound is profoundly inviting, you'll find that said on this forum. Although it sounds great out of the box, the burning time is required. After some 50 hours, its sound improves, particularly the trebble, which decreases a bit.

Regarding the filters, the AFO comes with the one-notch filter which will tame the trebble, should you be sensitive to it. If you're sensitive to trebble I recommend leaving it installed during the burn-in period. Personally, I ended up liking them without the filters when powered by a tube amplifier.

I do love the comfort of my NHs. Lightweight and the most comfortable headphones I have ever touched. I am a bit worried of the Audeze weight. This held me back from trying any of their headphones before. Some consider the 2C an improvement, some still complain, so this pushes me towards the AFO.
AFO comfort is terrific. I also own the HE400s and the HD700 and I should say AEON is significantly superior to both, even to the HD700 which is regarded as a comfortable headphone. Frankly, I've tried other demo units and the AFO has set the bar really high in this area.

I listen to all sorts of music, vocals too, but maybe 60% of my music is ambient, electronica, downtempo, slower type of EDM where bass and sub-bass is important. I do love lush and lifelike mids, I don't mind if mids are slightly forward. I am treble sensitive, so I need a laid back and smooth treble which is rather natural than sparky.
I'm not much into EDM, but the AFO is a great all rounder, although it excels with vocals (especially female), and mids. Bass is a significant step up over the HE400s (even with the FocusPad-A). I listed a lot to latin music and I feel the bass is pretty good for the genre.

Do you have any EDM tracks that you'll want me to listen (best if available on Tidal)? I can listen to them and compare the HE400s which you have with the AEON, so you have common reference point with me.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,730 of 2,583
Do you have any EDM tracks that you'll want me to listen (best if available on Tidal)? I can listed to them and compare the HE400s which you have with the AEON, so you have common reference point with me.
Thanks, I sold the 400s long time ago, working from memory here. I just remember I found the bass anaemic on those.
Instead of specific tracks I would share a few artists I listen to, you might find them on Tidal: Solar Fields, Entheogenic, Asura, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Koan, Bluetech, Vibrasphere and many others. Thanks! :)

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,731 of 2,583
Thanks, I sold the 400s long time ago, working from memory here. I just remember I found the bass anaemic on those.
Instead of specific tracks I would share a few artists I listen to, you might find them on Tidal: Solar Fields, Entheogenic, Asura, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Koan, Bluetech, Vibrasphere and many others. Thanks! :)
Your post came just in time for me to them pick up, the AFO are my office headphone and I'm leaving the office. I'll listen to them tonight and tomorrow and I'll share you my impressions

Apr 24, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #1,732 of 2,583
I have pretty much read through this thread.
I have posted the same in the LCD2C thread looking for answers from both camps:

I am considering buying these headphones, but I am at a phase where I am trying to collect as many first hand experiences as possible.

I am a one headphone guy for several reasons, wouldn't go into it. AFO/LCD2C is pretty much the highest end of my wallet.

For 18 months I own the Nighthawks. I know, it is a very controversial pair of headphones, but I like it a lot. Once your brain adjusts to the sound and you have a proper DAC, it is very likeable. Organic, lush, smooth, natural. Good depth. I like my bass, so the bass quantity the NH gives is sufficient for me. Mids are organic and lifelike due to the biocellulose membrane. Highs are natural, but quite laid back. People who need sparkle or shiny treble hate NH by default. I like it as I am pretty treble sensitive, I hear nothing over 15k.

Since I know NH will be discontinued, after the initial thought of buying a second pair the upgraditis bug bit me and I had a look around what else is available which might be a subjective upgrade for me over my beloved NH.
After reading and watching the available reviews and considering my wallet the choice basically came down for the Aeon Flow Open and the LCD2C.
Unfortunately here in the UK it is not as easy to try out all these headphones before purchase as it is in the USA hence I am asking around on the forums.

In the past I owned X00. I loved that bass, still miss it. NH was a compromise on bass compared to X00. But the treble on the Fostex was piercing to me, fatiguing almost painful. Also the sound is cramped, too much in your face. I need a more laid back sound. X2 was mentioned in this thread. I did like them a few years ago a lot, but there are superior cans. And although the bass quantity was quite good, it did roll off as it does with almost all open cans.

I listen to all sorts of music, vocals too, but maybe 60% of my music is ambient, electronica, downtempo, slower type of EDM where bass and sub-bass is important. I do love lush and lifelike mids, I don't mind if mids are slightly forward. I am treble sensitive, so I need a laid back and smooth treble which is rather natural than sparky.

AFC might be better for EDM due to the closed bass, but I read everywhere that AFO is superior to AFC. So I need to decide between AFO and LCD2C.
I don't mind a little coloration, I don't want my headphones to be audio microscopes for detail hunting. I also prefer a little excitement over neutrality. I want to enjoy my music and get lost in it instead of monitoring. I want fun and happy hours instead of a precise measurement graph.
I am a bit worried about the AFO's initially harsh treble, and TBH I don't really want to play around with filters. I also hate EQ-ing. For me a headphone should be ready to enjoy as they come out from the factory.

So, here I am hopefully provided enough background for you to give me a useful advice. AFO or LCD2C? Or I shouldn't bother and keep the NH? (unlikely)

I do love the comfort of my NHs. Lightweight and the most comfortable headphones I have ever touched. I am a bit worried of the Audeze weight. This held me back from trying any of their headphones before. Some consider the 2C an improvement, some still complain, so this pushes me towards the AFO.

Might worth mentioning too, that my first and only introduction to planars was the 400s. (Not the i.) I was utterly disappointed by the lack of character and total lack of bass. Voices were nice and natural, but that's about it. I know the LCDs are on another planar level, but thought I share to give a better picture of my preferences.

I am really excited about the LCD2C at the moment, but don't want to miss out the AFO if that is better for my taste.
Here in the UK however the Aeons cost 25% more than the LCD2Cs, so that is another factor.

I will use my beloved Chord Mojo which I prefer even to the iDSD BL due to its more natural sound. Many like this combo with the LCD2Cand AFO so I am not worried about that. (Although some say they wouldn't use Mojo to drive neither the LCD2C nor the AFO.)

Thanks for any replies and happy listening! :)

I did a write up a while ago comparing the two. After all was said and done, the Aeon edged out the LCD2C for me. At times I found the LCD2C was a bit harsh to my ears (not too bad, but not as smooth as the Aeon). If I remember correctly, the didn't dig quite down as low as the LCD2C, but the bass was still great. Honestly, they're close but if you want something more relaxed I'd go with the Aeon.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #1,733 of 2,583
Anybody pair the Aeon Open with a Violectric amp? I have the V100. For portable, I just got the iFi Nano IDSD black, which from reading a couple of comments above seems to get decent performance out of the Aeon.

I use the V281 and Aeon Open. I can't stop listening to it.
I've been through a lot of DACs, amps and headphones and this is the best I've heard.

Also the Ether Flow open and Aeon open are miles apart. Not close. I could never enjoy the Ether. It was let down by the highs and soundstage. The Aeon's are way nicer.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,734 of 2,583
Does anyone get a feeling the Aeon's fit or are angled a little more towards the back of your head/ears?

Every time I put them on I get the sense there's slightly more pressure on the back of the pads than on the front of the pads. So I feel like there's less of a seal in the front and the headband is sort of pulling the front side outwards. Maybe because where the headband attaches to the cups is on the back side?

It just doesn't feel as evenly pressured from front to back as my LCD-2C's. Maybe this is just how the design works or my head is oddly shaped for these?

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,735 of 2,583
I purchased my Aeon Flow Open (AFO) at CanJam SoCal and wanted to share my impressions. I gave it around 150 hours of burn-in to get started – the difference after burn-in isn’t huge, but it’s noticeable, especially in the treble, which to my ears becomes a bit smoother with burn-in.

I’ve used the headphone with several different amps – the Woo Audio WA6, the original Cavalli Liquid Carbon and the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid and the AFO lets you hear the differences between the various amps. The AFO is light and fits very comfortably on my head.

The AFO is a really great headphone for just enjoying my music collection. It has an easygoing, forgiving nature that makes it enjoyable to listen to less-than-audiophile quality tracks, which make up the vast majority of my collection. So, rather than listening to ‘Take Five’ for the 134th time to see what new details you can hear the AFO invites you to play some Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, ABBA (yes, I love ABBA and I’m not ashamed to admit it) or Prince. (I once heard ‘Purple Rain’ on a really high-end speaker system at a local dealer and it sounded terrible.) There are other headphones that offer more clarity and transparency, but the AFO is a really great headphone for music lovers.

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,736 of 2,583
I gave it around 150 hours of burn-in to get started – the difference after burn-in isn’t huge, but it’s noticeable, especially in the treble, which to my ears becomes a bit smoother with burn-in.
Absolutely agree! and your thoughts on this matter are aligned with most people in the forum.
The AFO is a really great headphone for just enjoying my music collection
I think this comment pretty much summarizes what the AFO is. It is perhaps the most engaging headphone in the sub-1000 category, making you forget about technicalities and diving into the music.
I’ve used the headphone with several different amps – the Woo Audio WA6, the original Cavalli Liquid Carbon and the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid and the AFO lets you hear the differences between the various amps. The AFO is light and fits very comfortably on my head.
How would you describe the sound of the Massdrop CTH? Presently I have a Vali 2 and I'm highly curious if the CTH will give me something else

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #1,737 of 2,583
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 30, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #1,738 of 2,583
Thanks Dan,

One question, the AEON originally comes with the one notch, two notch and black foam? So basically this one adds the black felt, am I correct?

May 1, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,739 of 2,583
How would you describe the sound of the Massdrop CTH? Presently I have a Vali 2 and I'm highly curious if the CTH will give me something else

I have a Vali 2 but I haven't used it for a while so I can't give you a side-by-side comparison. I posted my impressions of the CTH here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mas...-dropping-monday.857673/page-42#post-14209633

I really like the CTH, but keep in mind that this amp really needs burn-in before sounding good. Initially the treble is pretty grainy, but it gets much better (to my ears anyway) after a while.

May 1, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #1,740 of 2,583
Thanks Dan,

One question, the AEON originally comes with the one notch, two notch and black foam? So basically this one adds the black felt, am I correct?

Correct

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back